1x3 triple cube aquascape concept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally had a chance to read the article. I am stuck with the convex shape, one focal point in the middle tank (slightly off center to respect the 1/1.6 proportion) and both plants and substrate giving the continuity to the adjacent tanks.

This tank will be light on rocks, but I am not sure if I should river, pollished pebbles or more aggressive, iwagumi stones. Any thoughts?

I'd go with polished IMO it brings some a nice sleek modern look to it.

Most of the tanks that I have been seeing and connecting are more of a dutch, bushy style than stone-oriented, Iwagumi style. However, some accents can be found, like this image:

mini-s-shimmering-hills-full-2.jpg

The stones are the focus, but they could act as secondary elements for the center tank (being the main driftwood the focus).

For the lateral tanks, I am consideting having each Red Tiger Lotus as the off center focus (1.6, blah blah blah....)

Yeah i can see that. Its quite apparent how i deviated from strict iwagumi principles in my 6g build. I knew i wanted cool stones, but didn't want them to be overbearing and dominate the scape. I acknowledge there is a unique beauty in iwagumi, but guess I'm just not there yet to stare at just stones with 1 or 2 species of plants... Kinda boring for me but still nice to look at in others.

I think the most important thing is that the stones you decide to use are complimentary in shape and texture to the DW. You might have to try a couple different types to see what texture, shape, and color looks balanced and compliments the DW and not compete's with it.

A couple of behind the scenes images of the stand being created.

image-1788578165.jpg

This is Steve, by the way.

image-3246392772.jpg

I found him on the local Craig's list, and after the quality of the questions he asked, I knew I was dealing with a competent professional. For those in Florida, I strongly recommend his services.

Attachments

• image-3978088540.jpg
    image-3978088540.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 148
Big updates:

Today I found the "third" driftwood that will compose the tanks. They are currently under different stages of soaking, so they all look different. I am positive they will all share the same shade or dark red/ black wood:

Attachments

• image-2556177567.jpg
    image-2556177567.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 143
So this is the comparison of how I planned and how I got the woods to fit my initial concept:

Attachments

• image-116167116.jpg
    image-116167116.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 162
I also got for $15 shipped this young princess. Coming to the USA on the 28th!!

image-2191949351.jpg

She was stressed when I first spotted her being bullied in a tank with 6 others.

image-3736518061.jpg

About 15 minutes of being in her own.

Attachments

• image-2639732083.jpg
    image-2639732083.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 129
Lastly, the most recent updated pictures on the stand.

Attachments

• image-347035298.jpg
    image-347035298.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 162
  • image-2341943431.jpg
    image-2341943431.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 165
Looking good so far.. great concept and the stand is looking superb. I've always wanted an ADA stand but they're pricey... perhaps one day if I need a stand, I'll just hire someone to make an ADA-like stand! haha

Looking good so far.. great concept and the stand is looking superb. I've always wanted an ADA stand but they're pricey... perhaps one day if I need a stand, I'll just hire someone to make an ADA-like stand! haha

Not sure why everyone likes ADA stuff. For the cost I don't think it's worth it.

Not sure why everyone likes ADA stuff. For the cost I don't think it's worth it.

Yeah it's like Honda versus a Lexus... Both will get you where you need to go but one is just more refined and has that recognition of excellence. I agree though because money is tight so luckily there's more economical but very close to comparable options in this genre of aquaria... That's why the appeal of hiring a wood-worker, as what RC had done, to build this stand for a fraction of the price is a wise option. Moreover, rimless tank manufacturers like Mr. Aqua, aquatop, and GLA are creating these tanks at lower price points. Explore ADA scapes on TPT and YouTube and there's no mistaking it, they are certainly beautiful and up there with the best of them. Just my 2 cents.

(...)perhaps one day if I need a stand, I'll just hire someone to make an ADA-like stand! haha

I looked at some online. Steve (the guy that I hired) can make any of those, with your choice if stained wood, for under $200.00 (materials included). Too bad you are not in Florida.

Mine is taking in consideration 4 outlets per tank, internal lighting for the "chemistry", upper part (the door becomes a stand to work on), 10lb CO2 tank on the "lower belly" and a custom, removable "bench" stand, that will fit in between the 3 tanks, so I can use a bucket a ove the tanks for water changes (removable AND fits in the lower belly). With delivery, US$300.00.

Back
Top Bottom