2.5 gallon powerless desktop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Added more micro sword, rocks, java moss. Moved the driftwood back.. Still considering other plants to add in.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's enough space for a clam in between the aquascaping elements!

Attachments

• desktop20060701_953.jpg
    desktop20060701_953.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 2,973
  • desktop20060701top_750.jpg
    desktop20060701top_750.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,975
I'm still looking into ordering more appropriate plants, but I wanted to start the cycle before moving the tank in to work. I tore it down today, after only running for 5 days, and the bottom layer of sand was already dark grey from anerobic activity.

Choices:
A) Trust the MTS to solve this problem as they multiply. Perhaps add burried food incentives for them to dig.
B) Make the sand shallower, and forget the clam.

Opinions? Other suggestions?

One thing to think about... When you're gone on vacation or absent from work for some other reason, do you have someone who can tend to your tank at work? Maybe your vacations are brief enough that it's not needed.

I might get a week off at Christmas. I'll probably leave the light on and deal with the algae bloom when I get back.

I don't get paid vacations, so I don't take much time off in addition to the holidays.

czcz said:
M. umbrosum,
I'm still doing my reseach on your plant recomendations. Is M. umbrosum also known as Micranthemum Umbrosum, also known as Hemianthus micranthemoides, also known as Baby's Tears? I havn't found a direct refrence to any reclassificaiton, but I'm suspicious based on what I do see.

M. Umbrosum = Micranthemum Umbrosum = Baby Tears
and
Hemianthus Micranthemoides = Pearlweed (sometimes called Baby Tears)
but
Micranthemum Umbrosum <> Hemianthus Micranthemoides

PlantGeek

Edited to correct spelling.

Purrbox said:
M. Umbrosum = Micranthemum Umbrosum = Baby Tears
and
Miranthemum Micranthemoides = Pearlweed (sometimes called Baby Tears)
but
Micranthemum Umbrosum <> Microanthemum Micranthemoides

PlantGeek
Ah. The confusion of common names. I guess I'll be leaving that one out of the consideration, as I don't see a supplier for it.

You could always post in the Barter/Trade section as there are quite a few members of AA that have it. Might even be able to get the majority of the plants that you want that way.

I think M. umbrosum is the much better plant for your light, for what its worth.

Perhaps make a border for the clam with the hardscape? Is that cruel?

I've got clams on the way and am putting them into tanks with plants as filters and will post what happens, fwiw.

czcz said:
Perhaps make a border for the clam with the hardscape? Is that cruel?
I have no idea what makes a clam "as happy as a clam." I'm guessing that if he doesn't like it, he'll dig it all up until he does like it.

I think I've decided to skip the clam for now. If one shows up at my LFS, I'll give it a try. With such uncertainties, I don't want to pay for the livestock shipping costs. I've only put in half the sand, I'll keep the other half in reserve in case I need it later.

I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your experiments.

czcz said:
I think M. umbrosum is the much better plant for your light, for what its worth.
Let's discuss my light a bit. By the strict numbers, I have a crazy 10 WPG tank going on. However, the light is almost three times the length of the aquarium, and mounted a foot above it, with no parabolic reflector. I really think this is more like a medium to low light tank?

M. umbrosum data says it is very light demanding?
http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=048

I think you're right, and my guess on light and plant suggestions were incorrect and too high. Safest guess is probably "very low light," in which case I think plants other than Crypts, Anubias, Mosses, etc are a gamble.

M. umbrosum lives in my low tech/~medium light 10gal, and is less light demanding than H. micranthemoides for me. It's probably still a bad plant for the light. Cool plant though and judging by your other plants I bet it would do great in your 75.

Maybe you could use a flourescent desk lamp... you know, for work.

FWIW, I use 13w CF in the previously mentioned 2.5gal (no dosing and plenty of algae-eating inverts), and grow stuff some databases consider demanding. I think you should try some of the more light demanding plants in your other tank to get a better approximation of usable light in this tank.

czcz said:
I think you should try some of the more light demanding plants in your other tank to get a better approximation of usable light in this tank.
The crystal vals and micro sword are in there now, although it will be a month or so before I can really judge how they're doing. I even accidentally got a sprig of parrot's feather in there, my true meter of light, although it would be completely unsuitable for the project if it did take off.

I'm re-scaping the 75 gallon now. I'll probably have a topic on bater-trade when I'm done. Excess driftwood, Jungle Vals and Crystal Vals are sure to be in the works. (I kind of like the Crystal Val stanchions, but it's just a holding pattern, not necessarily a stable planting.)

hc8719 said:
i dont think i'd do it, daily water changes can be hassle at work (are you gonna bring an empty milk gallon with you, fill it up in the office bathroom, then put dechlor drops in it, then empty the tank and add the new water, even when done carefully will leave at least a few drips on your desk

lol i have a 4 gallon planted tank at work with two sunburst platties and i do weekly water changes with a plastic cup. i have it down to 10 trips to the sink to empty and 10 trips to fill. That does about 50%

My boss thought it was very odd that i wanted this little aquarium at work... but said sure

Well, I havn't even cycled yet but I think I can confirm that the plants are responding to low-light. The moss is healthy, the crypt is putting up new leaves and not loosing old ones, the Vals and micro sword are hanging in there, but the parrot's feather lower leaves are dying, and it's put up a lot of spiky growth up top. It's still too early for the parrot's feather to develop the long internodal spaces typical of low-light situations.

Plants I'm strongly considering:
Anubias barteri var nana "petite"
Small crypts
Marsilea (preferably minuta)
Eleocharis acicularis
more mosses

... i do weekly water changes with a plastic cup.
I've had a Brita on my desk for a long time, that makes refills easy, and the carbon filter dechlorinates to boot. I also brought in a pitcher that just barely fits in the aquarium. One scoop with that pitcher it a 25% water change.

Any opinion on wether I should leave the lights on or off on the weekend? On could lead to algae problems, but I don't have a problem yet. Off could be bad for the plants.

Unfortunately leaving the light on or off over the weekend could cause problems for the plants. Leaving the light on is more likely to lead to algae problems. Any possibility of putting the light on a timer?

Certainly possible. Not technically allowed, but I technically shouldn't have this power strip under my desk that the IT guy put there. :)

Hrm.... Parrot's feather lost all growth it had at initial planting, but new growth looks more healthy than I would expect for the lighting. Perhaps it was suffering from transplant shock rather than lack of light? Jury is still out on my lighting.

Parrot's feather is making a definite comeback. Each new set of leaves is larger and fuller than the previous set. The micro sword is having a mixed reaction, some stalks are sending out runners, some are dying.

I have my first algae outbreak, the moss is covered with filamentous algae. I'm thinking of adding the shrimp real soon now, but it might be wiser to wait until after replanting.

I think I'll be ordering plants in a couple more weeks, when this heat wave is done. I've been taking pictures of my excess driftwood to put on the barter/trade forum soon.

Might want to hold off on the shrimp too since they're sensitive to high temps. I've begun losing cherry shrimp like crazy due to the heat, just like last summer.

How about Hydrocotyle sp. as a neat leaf shape in there? Not very demanding of light and is size appropriate, though they can grow wildly.

Back
Top Bottom