2.5g Bowfront Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 2.5g bowfront that is home to one female betta. I really want to plant it up nice.

I can have up to 15w on it, but doesn't the small size of the tank make the wattage go all weird?:confused: The tank currently has gravel but I'm thinking about changing it out. I've heard that certain soils work... What kinds? I think that they shouldn't have plant food in them but what soil can be used?

I have 2 marimo balls in the tank already,and I've taken out all of the java moss that was already in there. I really hate java moss...:mad:

I do have some plants that I could put in there: riccia, anacharis, wisteria, micro sword, and afzelii anubias. Would any of these be good? What are some other options?

I'm not doing co2 on it, but will do ferts. If that makes the plant selection any different.

Any other ideas? Please note them!

Thanks! I'm so glad that you're helping, I'm just learning the ways of planted tanks!

Yeah, I tried hornwort in my other betta tank (a 12g) and the betta or the platy ripped it all up! It's now recovering in a plastic tote with a lamp over it.... Thanks for the idea though!

AquaKai said:
I also have a banana plant that could go there. Would it be good in there?

Yeah you could also go with java moss or java fern or any other low - medium light plants!

FreshwaterTropical said:
Yeah you could also go with java moss or java fern or any other low - medium light plants!

Really!?! Medium light could go in there as well! That's exciting:). I'm hopefully going to plant some in there tomorrow:). Thanks!

AquaKai said:
I have a 2.5g bowfront that is home to one female betta. I really want to plant it up nice.

I can have up to 15w on it, but doesn't the small size of the tank make the wattage go all weird?:confused: The tank currently has gravel but I'm thinking about changing it out. I've heard that certain soils work... What kinds? I think that they shouldn't have plant food in them but what soil can be used?

I have 2 marimo balls in the tank already,and I've taken out all of the java moss that was already in there. I really hate java moss...:mad:

I do have some plants that I could put in there: riccia, anacharis, wisteria, micro sword, and afzelii anubias. Would any of these be good? What are some other options?

I'm not doing co2 on it, but will do ferts. If that makes the plant selection any different.

Any other ideas? Please note them!

Thanks! I'm so glad that you're helping, I'm just learning the ways of planted tanks!

In a tank that small the lighting is higher watts per gallon, than a bigger tank with the same bulb. If you change the substrate go with seachem fluorite plant substrate. I'm not sure about potting or gardening soil. But I have heard some people use organic soil.

All of those plants that you listed would be fine in this tank

For ferts go with sachem flourish for nutrients, and if you want do sachem excel for co2 supplement

There is a lot you can do in a small tank!

FreshwaterTropical said:
In a tank that small the lighting is higher watts per gallon, than a bigger tank with the same bulb. If you change the substrate go with seachem fluorite plant substrate. I'm not sure about potting or gardening soil. But I have heard some people use organic soil.

All of those plants that you listed would be fine in this tank

For ferts go with sachem flourish for nutrients, and if you want do sachem excel for co2 supplement

There is a lot you can do in a small tank!

Wow! Thanks! I'm really excited to plant the tank with some plants I already have:). Thanks, that's everything that I need for the tank- knowledge wise.

Also the tank light should be on from between 10-12 hours each day, and keep up with water changes!!!

Ok I will keep up with the water changes and the lighting:). I will ask if need help!

Back
Top Bottom