2 gallon shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baydo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking of starting a 2 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank and was wondering if this is big enough tank (this is the biggest tank I can get). I was also wondering how many RCS I could keep in there. Would I need a filter or heater for this tank (I would like to go without one) my normal temperature is 82f so this would make the water a good temparute. This tank is going to be heavily planted, so this may make filtration not as highly needed but would like your guys opinion.
Thanks

Have you kept shrimp or fish previously, and if so how long and what are your tap water parameters?

pH
GH
KH

The temp is a tiny bit high.

If you get your tank cycled, matured and stable, you will likely have more success.

There are some concerns with a tiny /pico tank. Maintenance and small very regular pwc will be required.

A filter would be best possible option as a way to keep the stability as good as possible.

About 30 shrimp if using a filter, but building up to the number as a smaller group successfully breeds to the number. Planted or at least with a bunch of moss/ Subwassertang/plants.

Small tanks like this are indeed a big undertaking.

I have kept fish/shrimp for about the 10 years now. I have kept shrimp many times before. My Ph is 7.4 but I have fluval plant and shrimp stratum which will lower the Ph. My Gh is 2.2 and Kh 3.1.

Well if the regular water changes keep it down you should be fine. If you have locally bred Cherry shrimp pretty much used to the local water you already have, I think you should be fine.

You could always cut your tap water with some RO like 25%. For the small tank it would be easy to get a container of RO water from a sw lfs.

If it ends up being a problem do not use that kind of substrate. As long as you keep up with a regular pwc routine, I double it would cause you any difficulty.

Maybe someone here has used it with shrimp and can get more opinions. :)

Fluval stratum is special made to accomodate baby shrimp as it makes the water the perfect conditions and states that baby shrimp can hide in it.

Yes and there are a few other substrates you might want to check out. I am using ADA Amazonia Light (For PRL, Caridina) and it is really going great with my 12G tank. It creates some ammonia for the first 4 weeks. There are a few others well regarded. Brightwell Aquatics Florin Volcanit Rio.

One which I was told by CaribSea Rep. is great for shrimp is Samurai Soil which isn't mud/soil, but like a fired ball.

It depends on if you want a soil clay type substrate or a hard granule/ball type.

And if you need to lower pH or keep it the same too.

I would remove the heater. They do fine in the sixties and seventies.
I never understood the part about some substrates being ideal for shrimp fry in the shrimp only tank. What would they be hiding from? I would mot imagine from predation from other shrimp.

It just happens that i had a 2 gallon shrimp tank. RCS (Neocaridinas) are almost indestructible! Only thing that I would echo is that the temp is a bit high. If you use air/fan to cool your tanks, it would result in evaporation. Do not top off with tap water. Use TO or distilled water. For RCS , substrate did not matter to my Neocaridinas. I used Safe-T--Sorb and they were fine. My other 5 gallon shrimp tanks were on Fluval Stratum.

This reminds me I found the name of the very small filters called mignon like filet from A zoo but exclusively from a certain company. You can search it, can't remember that atm. It was in an advertisement in a magazine. I can look if you can't find it.

Back
Top Bottom