2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
1. Why is my java moss turning brown!? This stuff is supposed to be easy, and even with a 13 watt bulb and liquid ferts in my 2.5 gallon it is unhappy? I have noticed, however, that the clump of moss under the filter that gets alot less light is doing well..,am i burning the moss essentially?

2. What type of shrimp will peacefully live with ghost shrimp, but wont interbreed?

Gboy66 said:
1. Why is my java moss turning brown!? This stuff is supposed to be easy, and even with a 13 watt bulb and liquid ferts in my 2.5 gallon it is unhappy? I have noticed, however, that the clump of moss under the filter that gets alot less light is doing well..,am i burning the moss essentially?

2. What type of shrimp will peacefully live with ghost shrimp, but wont interbreed?

On the first question I think it might be the frets that's turning it brown because I remember once in my ten gallon i added excel and I think I over did it and the next couple of days it stared Turing brown so I did water changes and stop dosing and now its back to a really nice green buy it did almost take a month for it to recover. So what I would recommend is chill on the frets and see what happens, and for the second question I can't help you there sorry :(

Gboy66 said:

Nothing will interbreed with your ghost shrimp. But, ghost shrimp will likely eat the babies, or even prey directly on the patents, of other types of shrimp. Ghost shrimp are omnivores. They forage but also hunt down what they can easily catch and overpower. If you want to breed other kinds of shrimp in that tank the ghosties will need a new address.

CorallineAlgae said:
Nothing will interbreed with your ghost shrimp. But, ghost shrimp will likely eat the babies, or even prey directly on the patents, of other types of shrimp. Ghost shrimp are omnivores. They forage but also hunt down what they can easily catch and overpower. If you want to breed other kinds of shrimp in that tank the ghosties will need a new address.

I thought that RCS would interbreed? Or are they in different families?

I have 2 berried shrimp right now.. Will they eat the babies once they hatch??

When did you get the java moss?

I don't think its the ferts because I use it and my java moss is fine.

EMAN12 said:
When did you get the java moss?

I don't think its the ferts because I use it and my java moss is fine.

Like 2 weeks ago. I think i have to downgrade my bulb

jetajockey said:
You aren't burning java moss. It grows under high light just fine so I'd look into other causes. I have been growing some floating only a few inches under a t5ho bulb and it doesn't brown at all.

Hmm, good to know thanks jetta! So i have been adding a drop or 2 of comprehensive and flourish every day/other day about, is that the prob?

I have heard that moss can be sensitive to excel. I've never seen a problem with it, but some people just can't grow moss for some reason.

I don't dose my moss tanks with any ferts in particular lately, but I have in the past without a problem. And it's been fine in everything from ambient room light to under the t5hos.

Then its weird that i am having problems..should i quit dosing for a week and see if it does better? My rotala indica in the tank is doing great too!

Every time I buy java moss the first few weeks it gets brown and then it gets green and starts growing fast.

EMAN12 said:
Every time I buy java moss the first few weeks it gets brown and then it gets green and starts growing fast.

Oh really?! Why do you think that is?

I am still wonderig, what other shrino should i put with ghost shrimp?

Probably its addapting to your water.

I don't think ghost shrimp can go with any other shrimps.

I've heard that they can kill an orange dwarf crayfish and attack big fish.

Plants the are put under stronger light will often suffer a bit from the change in light intensity. The fact that the plant partially shaded is doing well leads me to believe that might be the case. Terrestial plants grown under lights that are put outside will often undergo the same cycle of old leaves being damaged, and new growth doing well and taking over.

If thats what's happening then you should see improvement in a week or three. I'd ease off on the ferts until the plant recovers, but keep an eye on the other plants so you don't starve them.

Back
Top Bottom