20 gal journey thread. Bitten by the MTS bug.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AggieMel

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I was at the LPS here in town merely looking for a background for my 10gal, and they had an entire 20gal setup on sale for a price I couldn't turn down. Looks like I caught the MTS bug. Not totally sure on how I'm going to do the setup (substrate, lights, CO2 or no CO2) yet, but stay tuned, and hit me with any ideas you think I should go for.

The cool thing is that if you do pressurized co2, you can split off and use on both tanks ;)

MTS happens to us all. I thought I had gotten over it, having just my 150g and two 10g's for about a year now. Nope.. About 3 weeks ago I broke down and got a 40 breeder, then last week I bought a 125g. Wait until you get a big tank. It only gets worse :)

wooohoooo congratulations mel.....+1 with mfd......it is very addicting....I am done so far with 4 tanks....LOL

Lighting and Substrates

Back from a quick spring break camping trip with some updates.

My tank came with a light strip which I have already deemed is highly inadequate for planted purposes. It's a 24inch, 120v, 19watt reflector with an 18in, 8,000K, 15W, 120v T8 fluorescent tube. I think I'll sell it on eBay and go the DIY lighting route, because I'm working on a budget here. Might take a trip up to the hardware store to see if I can find some small shop lighting that I can rig up over the tank in some fashion.

I am also beside myself trying to pick a substrate. I like the idea of turface or going the "dirt" route, but I'm a little afraid. Gotta do more reading before I make a decision. If all else fails, maybe I'll just use pool filter sand.

A good (affordable) lighting fix is at the top of my to-do list though, so if anyone has suggestions, please throw them my way.

PM sent to Fort about lights. Thanks, Jason.

I've decided on Turface as my substrate, and I contacted a local dealer in town. They're ordering it for me in grey, since they don't keep it in stock.

I can't wait to get things rolling here. Staring at an empty tank is depressing.

Tell me about it! I've got a full stocking list and plan for a 29 gallon tank, but no tank!!! My parents say we have to get moved first. someone buy our flippin house!!!

What's your price range? I probably seem like I'm getting some kind of cut from these people, but fishneedit.com has some great fixtures for a great price. I just got a 2x39w T5HO unit for my 40, and two 4x24w T5HO units for my 125... a 2x24w T5HO ($65 + ~$10 shipping) with pressurized Co2 would give you almost any choice of plants..

That's actually one of the fixtures I'm considering right now; it's at the upper limit of my price range. I was hoping to find a way to rig something up myself, but after doing a lot of research, it just seems better to bite the bullet and buy something already put together.

Pressurized CO2 isn't in my immediate future, though I do plan on doing DIY, and MAYBE upgrade down the line. I just don't have the budget right now for anything too high tech.

Also, does anyone have any experience with removing plastic braces from tanks? I've read a few "how-to" articles, but they scare me a little. I like the idea of having a rimless tank, but I don't want to have something unstable. Would I be making a fatal mistake to remove the brace from a 20-high? I feel like with my luck, it would explode on me.

IMHO, pressurized is much better. It is more consistent and really cheaper in the long run. You're looking at like $150 to set up pressurized. The regulator is ~$89, the cylinder is ~$50 online (for a 5lb, you could easily get by with a 2.5lb), maybe cheaper if you can find somewhere local, and a diffuser is just a few dollars. You can't shut Co2 off at night if you're doing DIY, and fluctuating levels of Co2 can cause major algae problems.

I'd be wary of removing a brace from anything bigger than a 10g... thats just me though ;)

Lights purchased

Just bought this 24" 2x24w T5HO fixture for my tank. $66.22 total with free shipping... most affordable T5HO setup I could find. I think I'm going to start saving for pressurized CO2, but it's going to be a while since I didn't plan for spending that much on lighting, and I still have to stock the tank in the end! Sigh.

This is getting to be an expensive addiction.

Tell me about it! I've spent $1800 in the last month!!!!!!

That's a great deal on that fixture. Current is one of the best manufacturers from everything I've seen and heard.

yep...we are in the same boat...it is a very addicting and expensive hobby..but it still makes us happy. :)

Still waiting to get the Turface in from my local Lesco dealer. I'm just itching to get this tank cycling.

Ginormous update

Got a little story for you, Ags. Turns out, the dealer couldn't just order 1 bag of Turface, and I don't exactly need a whole pallet, so I went with Quikrete Premium Play Sand. Yes, I know pool filter sand is ideal, but I couldn't find the stuff anywhere in town! All I found was some that was treated with pool chemicals, and we all know that would just be bad news bears. Anyhow, I washed and washed and washed and washed it (in a bucket my bathtub, since I live in an apartment and have no hose, etc.), and it finally got to what I considered "clean". Put it in the tank and it's pretty darn cloudy. You can kinda see through to the back, but barely. I'll post pictures in a bit. I hope it goes away quickly.

Then, since I'm extremely impatient, I took a trip to the local LPS and bought a few of the dreaded tube plants... but only ones I know to be legit:
2 Java Ferns
1 Sword
1 Anubias Nana

And I bought a few bunches of their aquatic plant livestock
2 Wisteria bunches
3 Moneywort bunches
1 Anacharis bunch

I also moved over the free eBay mystery swords from my 10gal, since they were rapidly outgrowing it, and dosed Flourish.

They'll have to live with the highly inadequate stock lighting for a day, because my new fixture doesn't get in until tomorrow.

Anyhow, I've had the filter cartridge for this new tank stuck into the gravel of my 10 gallon for the past week or so in hopes of picking up a few helpful little buggers, and I'm about to take a few handfuls of gravel out of the 10gal to help out the cycle in this one. I'll be doing fish food again, since I STILL cannot find clear ammonia anywhere in this town! Not going to bother doing any water tests for a few days.

Wish me luck!

Oh, and one last thought. Planting plants in sand is 730194851958173741348914375490826 billion times easier than planting them in the god-forsaken large gravel I have in my other tank. They actually stay put without weights!

Hmmm, I've never seen java fern in a tube. I have nothing against anubias in a tube. I have one (well, 4 now that I've separated it) anubias from a tube that has done surprisingly well over the last 2 years.

I am excited on how this tank will look like. Your other tank is looking awesome especially with the new residents.

I bet sand is easier..I have big gravels in my new 10G and yes it is a pain to plant plants in it.

I will be following still...

I know I've kept you waiting...

My tank finally looks somewhat presentable, but it's still a mess with fish food sitting on the substrate and plants not in their final positions. This water has been refusing to clear up from this sand. I'm sure a pwc or two would help, but since it's cycling, I see no need to. I'm finally including some pics in this post... but stand by for an even BIGGER update this week! I have an order of cuttings of 12 new species coming in from a guy off another forum. This place is going to be a jungle!

I also now have a million little java ferns, because it turns out the "java fern" i got from a tube was really several plantlets sneakily tied together by a piece of dark brown string. How about that?

I think this tank really needs a focal point. I'm currently searching for a nice piece of driftwood or a large rock or two.

***Side note:
The swords you see in the back are up for grabs for the cost of shipping. See my ad in the classifieds.

Ammonia is at 4ppm.
Everything else 0
Keeping temp ~80F for the cycle

Here are the long-awaited pics:

Crappy, cloudy FTS:
19808575.jpg

Moneywort/wistera forest:
89585806.jpg

Swords in the back are free to a good home... just pay shipping!
84520941.jpg

Lots of little Java Ferns:
57616700.jpg

Wal-mart Aponogenton bulb doing well:
27263173.jpg

Looks great! Only suggestion in my opinion would be a black background to help everything pop.

Levels update this morning:

Ammonia: 0.5-1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

Looks like we're almost in business!

Back
Top Bottom