20 gallon iwagumi style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elykreefs97

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I'm going iwagumi style with this tank I have. It's a 20 gallon tall I have a 20-30 gallon marineland biowheel filter. My choice lighting for the tank is the marineland double bright LED system. I have to wait until later to get my canister and Co2 systems. My choice rock is problobly mountain rock. My plants I want to do dwarf hair grass in the front. And this is where you guys come in I need a choice plant for the back of my tank preferably taller and also I need some help with my substrate I was thinking a three layer substrate but idk. And also choices on fish.

Is this going to be a build? If so, I'm following :) I too am trying to go Iwagumi style in my newest GLA Rimless 6g tank, the link is in my signature if you want to check it out :D I went with the Finnex Ray 2 because I am going to do an HC carpet, and use Blyxa japonica. In an Iwagumi, you really only want 2-3 plant species, and one species of fish to keep it simple, and elegant. For taller plants, you could try giant hair grass, or Cyperus helferi are the first two that popped in my head. For substrate, I am using ADA's AquaSoil Amazonia Powder Type p, which is probably the most expensive substrate, but is the best. ADA things are top of the line, and usually are with the most quality. If you want to save some money and go with other options that are still awesome, you could do Eco-Complete(I use in my 5.5 gallon), FloraMax, Fluval Stratum (I use in my 60g), AquaSoil, Flourite, and that's all I can think of. Not sure what you mean by 3-layer substrate...for fish I really like the harlequin tetras and think they look nice in Iwagumi tanks, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, black stripe neon tetras, all look pretty nice. You want the smaller fish, again, to add to the simple and elegant look. Hope for pics soon :)

I think that marineland double bright led fixture would only be adequate for low light plants. I don't think the DHG would carpet in that lighting.

I recommend to go with the Finnex Ray 2 or Current Truelumen Pro as what Dan has done for better lighting.

Harlequin Rasboras are nice.

I think that marineland double bright led fixture would only be adequate for low light plants. I don't think the DHG would carpet in that lighting.

I recommend to go with the Finnex Ray 2 or Current Truelumen Pro as what Dan has done for better lighting.

:agree: I have heard to stay away from Marineland LEDs for planted tanks. I run a double T5HO with 2 54watt T5 bulbs and the 2 TrueLumen Pro LED strips that Brian was talking about. I can grow anything now!

I've had planted tanks under these lights and they work ok. I'm only using the lights because that's what I had laying around. When I get new lights for my Reef tank I'm going to use the aquasun t5 on there and replace them with flora sun bulbs. For plants I'm going to go with the giant hair grass in the back and dwarf baby tears to cover the substrate

I've had planted tanks under these lights and they work ok. I'm only using the lights because that's what I had laying around. When I get new lights for my Reef tank I'm going to use the aquasun t5 on there and replace them with flora sun bulbs. For plants I'm going to go with the giant hair grass in the back and dwarf baby tears to cover the substrate

Oh alright then. Well you are going to need some high light for that HC to carpet well. Have you considered using DSM?

I'll look into it. But I have to sell my Texas cichlid that will give me 40 bucks that will be enough for my gravel some aditiveves and filter media. Then I'll have money for plants later on. Where should u get my mountain rock from should I go outside and look for nice pieces?

I'll look into it. But I have to sell my Texas cichlid that will give me 40 bucks that will be enough for my gravel some aditiveves and filter media. Then I'll have money for plants later on. Where should u get my mountain rock from should I go outside and look for nice pieces?

I'm not sure where to get mountain rock, but I know AFA, ADG, etc. sells many other types of aquarium stone like Ryouh, Sieryu, Yamaya, etc...I also check eBay. I got my Sieryu stone from eBay. You could go out and look for some cool pieces outside, too.

I live by the Pocano mountains I know theres some nice rock up there. But yea I'll check out eBay. For my fish if I get like 10 or 15 neon tetras and 1 ram dwarf cichlid would that work or just the neon tetras

I live by the Pocano mountains I know theres some nice rock up there. But yea I'll check out eBay. For my fish if I get like 10 or 15 neon tetras and 1 ram dwarf cichlid would that work or just the neon tetras

I know that you can add rummy nose tetras in with dwarf cichlids, and I think cardinals can too. I prefer cardinals over neons because they are more hardy and can tolerate more water conditions, and most dwarf cichlids species are sensitive to water conditions so they should work fine...

What's DSM?

This is my GBR

Attachments

• image-98758278.jpg
    image-98758278.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 58
That's nice I'll have to tell my lfs to order one. And yea I'm going with the dsm.

No I'm still looking. Have you ever heard of the green machine?

Back
Top Bottom