20 gallon long lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I only have experience with very low-light, slow-growing plants (no ferts, single bulb fluorescents); anubias and ferns. I have a 20 gallon long (12 inch height) that I plan to set up at my office. I want to venture a little deeper into plants with this tank.

I want to get into the low-medium lighting to enable a bit more variety. I want to try my hand at planting (instead of tying onto dw and rocks), root tabs, etc.

So, I have researched lighting and have a few questions. I will need to get a new fixture FYI as all I have currently is the tank.

1) For medium lighting in a 12 inch tank, should I go with dual NO fluorescents (T8 or T5-NO), T5-HO or compact fluorescents? I guess LED is an option as well, but I just can't find the info to understand PAR ratings and other data for LEDs

2) I have checked ebay for fixtures for such lighting. The tank is 30 inches wide, but holds 24 inch bulbs. When ebay lists a fixture at 24 inches, are they referring to fixture length or bulb length? example below:
24" 48w Lighting T5 Aquarium Light Hood Marine Coral Cichlid Actinic Fluorescent

3) Will a T5 fixture fit both NO T5s and T5-HO? If so, a T5 fixture could be pretty versatile.

On your 20 long at 12" high, a dual T5NO would give you medium light. A dual T5HO would be pretty high light. In LED's a Current Sattelite or a Finnex Fugeray would give a solid medium light. You want a 30" fixture for your tank. They use 24" bulbs inside if flourescents. The one you listed in your post is for saltwater tanks, not for FW plants. OS.

OS, if it is not too much trouble, could you link a freshwater, dual bulb 30" fixture that takes 24" T5-NO bulbs? I have read a good bit and tried to learn about lighting, and feel pretty good about the different types of bulbs and their strengths and weaknesses. However, when it comes to knowing what these set ups look like and how to search them online, I am pretty clueless. I think seeing one could help me. Thanks.

Thanks. You have answered several questions for me tonight in multiple threads. Much appreciated.

OK Here are some links to some lights that would keep you in medium light without needing CO2. I gave you two flourescent and two LEDs. My favorite of these is the Current LED with the remote. Best light w/best features. OS.
Aqualight with Colormax & 6700K T5 Fluorescent Lamps - 30 in
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-AQE402...ch/dp/B00893F492/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_2
Amazon.com: Finnex FugeRay Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 30-Inch: Pet Supplies
Amazon.com: Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium, 24 to 36-Inch: Pet Supplies

Back
Top Bottom