20g high planted aquarium! Help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I have my 20 g aquarium and I really want to do a planted aquarium with cichlids in it but everything I have read on here says it isn't a good idea. Are there some cichlids that do well with plants? If so which? And also if someone can recommend lower care level plants that are good for beginners and what kind of accessories and supplements I may need for them? Thanks I know it's alot to answer but its new to me.

jkdubs2 said:
Ok so I have my 20 g aquarium and I really want to do a planted aquarium with cichlids in it but everything I have read on here says it isn't a good idea. Are there some cichlids that do well with plants? If so which? And also if someone can recommend lower care level plants that are good for beginners and what kind of accessories and supplements I may need for them? Thanks I know it's alot to answer but its new to me.

Can't help you with the cichlids, but if you go to plantgeek.net, look in the low light section there's lots of plants to choose from that won't need ferts or co2. Lighting is going to be your only issue and if you have at least 24-36w and 6700K, you should be ok IMO.

I'd be willing to bet any suitable cichlid for a 20g tank will be ok with plants, as this is pretty much only dwarf south americans or shell dwelling africans, both of which do fine with plants.

Thanks everyone and I looked up dwarf cichlids on liveaquaria.com and they only had one kind is there any other kinds? And I can't seem to find the shell dwelling cichlids wars a good site to look them up?

Thanks again and as far as the cichlids go wat is something I could use to keep the ph up?

Ok and I'm seeing some stuff on here about CO2 am I goin to need something for that in a 20 gallon or will the fish put out enough in this size tank?

Ok, so before you start wanting to raise the pH, you need to figure out what kind of fish you're wanting. Cichlids are such a broad range of fish found in pH of 6 all the way up to 9 and 10. That said, it's really not something to worry about. As far as co2, that's dependent upon your lighting.

As far as fish, look at rams, apistos, kribs, and then shelldwellers (multies, brevis, occies).

Ok well as far as lighting I have a Aaron 8000k full spectrum daylight 15w 120v T8 18" light. Is that ok? And wat does light have to do with co2? Agh so much to learn! Haha

That really isn't enough light to bring the need for CO2, in my mind. In fact, you will need to stick with plants clearly classified as "low" light. Now- fill the tank up with plants and thing change a bit (and you will need to fertilize).

Ok thanks and what kind of light would I need if I wanted medium light plants?

If you stay with "standard" T8 - many folks still use the "1.5-2watts per gallon for a medium/low light tank. Of course, tank height and the quality of that light is also very important.

What I found made things simpler- I recently upgraded to a twin-tube T5HO fixture. While the wattage total is "only" 48watts, the T5HO bulbs put out a LOT more light (usable) per watt.

I would imagine others will pipe in to give more specific info for your 20g tall

Ya I think I'll upgrade to that t5ho fixture I saw one for a 20 gallon. It'll be a few weeks before I tackle that endeavor though. Lol

Ok so I've been looking for a dual lamp t8 light hood for my 20h tank and it doesn't seem like they make them. Any good sites that have them? Cuz I looked at foster and smith aquatics and no luck. I was thinking it would be cheaper than going to the t5ho fixture.

Just go with a single bulb t5ho, it will be plenty.

Dual T8s work, I use dual t8 shop lights over some of my tanks, but the t5ho is way better imo. And they are fairly cheap in 24" and 48" versions.

Ok and I have floramax planted aquarium substrate and it says only minimal rinsing needed but I'm rinsing it and it's dirty dirty water so is it ok to continue rinsing it til clear or am I washing out all the fertilizer?

Back
Top Bottom