20g planted tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nortzy21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok here we go......
My first planted tank is in the works. It will be a lower tech planted tank with some fish. I'm definitely gonna be adding swords along with some other low light, hardy plants. I also plan on adding some guppies and maybe some red cherry shrimp. The tank is currently in the process of cycling but I'm not sure if plants need a cycled tank so help me out on this...

Here's the specs:

Filter- Marineland penguin 200 HOB (rated for 50 gallon)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422584583.651719.jpg

Lights- Small clamp lights with full spectrum CFLs
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422584671.174994.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422584721.012887.jpg

Tank- 20 gallon high
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422584867.239010.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422585266.337284.jpg

Substrate- just ordered two 20 lb bags of Eco complete online (and some API fert!)

Ok so there's some pics for you guys! Now keep in mind it's my first planted tank build but don't freak because I've been keeping fish for many years now from coral reefs to turtles. However I still need tons of help and advice on this planted tank. I can't wait to get it stocked but I'm taking it slow. So cmon people give me all the advice you can give and don't be afraid to criticize as that's what your here for!

Thanks,
Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh forgot to mention something! My biggest upcoming problem is adding the Eco complete substrate to a tank full of water. I don't want to cloud up the water like crazy even though I may have to. So.... How should I add it?

Not sure regarding putting substrate in with water already in the tank. I was going to add that you can certainly put the plants in during the fishless cycle. It will actually help the plants!

I believe eco complete is prewashed already and there's liquid in the bag. So no need to worry about the water in the tank already. I'd just siphon half the water out to make it easier to work in.

EC will cloud it up a bit but it will eventually settle. Eventually. I would do a few water changes afterwards. Or you could drain the tank, add the EC, put a large bowl or plate on it and and water slowly. It should not cloud up much doing it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe eco complete is prewashed already and there's liquid in the bag. So no need to worry about the water in the tank already. I'd just siphon half the water out to make it easier to work in.

Ok I'll just do that.

Not sure regarding putting substrate in with water already in the tank. I was going to add that you can certainly put the plants in during the fishless cycle. It will actually help the plants!
ok sounds good but how will it help the plants?!

Alright that makes sense. You think I can buy plants tomorrow even though my substrate isn't here yet?

You could, but I would wait til you have everything before starting the cyclic process

You could, but I would wait til you have everything before starting the cyclic process

I agree I'll wait til the substrate comes. Then I think I'll get some ferns and anchurias or whatever they're called haha. What do u think I should start with plant wise?

EC will cloud it up a bit but it will eventually settle. Eventually. I would do a few water changes afterwards. Or you could drain the tank, add the EC, put a large bowl or plate on it and and water slowly. It should not cloud up much doing it that way.

Good advice.. I'd go with this method actually. I've used floramax which definitely needed a pre-rinse. It's exactly the same as EC but without the liquid bacteria water in the bag. I was told EC didn't need a rinse so I assumed it'll just be okay to toss in. Since Fresh has direct experience with EC, his advice would be best.

Update

Got my Eco complete today! Planning on adding it tomorrow. I think I'll just take out half of the water and slowly pour it in. Got 40 lbs so I'll have a nice, deep bed.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423310314.403513.jpg

Got the substrate in and water is pretty much all cleared up!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423536738.954096.jpg

Best of luck, Sam! I tried Eco and had a mess, mold like stuff grew right away. I eventually threw it all out. I hope you have better luck. (The makers of Eco do respond to emails if you have any problems. )

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Best of luck, Sam! I tried Eco and had a mess, mold like stuff grew right away. I eventually threw it all out. I hope you have better luck. (The makers of Eco do respond to emails if you have any problems. )

MM - For real? I had the same thing happen with two bags of EC in 2013. The tank had a large amount of fluffy, white fungus or bacteria and sky high ammonia. I ended up tossing everything, sterilizing the tank and starting with new EC.

? I hope that doesn't happen in my tank. It's just going to be a low tech planted tank with CFLs and a HOB filter (no co2). However, I am going to use some API leaf zone to supplement the plants along with the nutrient rich Eco complete.

OP - I think the incident with the EC is not a common occurrence. I suspect it may have something to do with the way it was stored in the winter in the garage.
Anyhow, good luck with the tank.

they'll send you free bags if you have any problems with it. Just take a picture of the receipt. I've heard of this done before even though it never happened to me.
in such a case you can clean the eco complete thoroughly and still use it because it'll just absorb the nutrients you add anyways. and get free new bags on top of it.

Back
Top Bottom