20L planted tank - fish load?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Brand new to the aquarium hobby as of 2-3 months ago. COMPLETELY addicted, as I already have 6 separate tanks running throughout the house now. :blink:

I very recently put together... or rather... rebuilt my 20L tank as a planted tank. It literally is covered with about 8-10 different species of plants. Looking at it figuratively, I'd say 75% of the floor is covered and most of it 2-4" tall. Some groundcover, such as Styro, but that only eating up maybe 10% of it. another 10-15% reaching the 7-8" mark around the back.
Every plant in this tank came from members here at AA. :thanks:

Presently, I have a couple of LARGE pregnant basic feeder guppies and a couple pink cory cats.
Tank has pool filter sand substrate, 31w LED bar, Aqueon 30 HoB filter, dual sponge air filter.

My question is...

What kind of fish load do I need to put in here simply to satisfy the needs of the plants? And how aggressively should I feed them to ensure enough nutrients for the plants from waste and leftover food?

Also, should I be looking at stocking it with snails(MTS?) and/or cherry shrimp?

I appreciate all opinions and feedback in advance!

Don't rely on fish waste to feed the plants, its not the idea method. Unless of course the majority of your plants are anubias or other extremely slow growing plants. They don't require much of anything to keep healthy.

Look into dry feet and the ei method. Modify your dosing as needed based on plant growth and looking out for specific deficiencies. They idea of ei method is to provide more than enough ferts to ensure your plants have everything they need in that regard.

Biggest thing you can do for you plants is co2. For over a year I run a low tech tank and swore up and down that I wanted to keep a non co2 and no excel tank. My co2 levels were always very low. I was fairly successful in.my first year and grew some healthy plants .

I recently setup a full pressurized system and have seen first hand what the difference is. The difference in the way the plants grow and look (health wise) is so very different.

I am able to grow dense thick plants rather than a crypt with only a handful of nice leaves.

I suggest you consider co2 if you haven't already. Most aquatic plants are made up with 40% carbon.

Don't rely on fish waste to feed the plants, its not the idea method. Unless of course the majority of your plants are anubias or other extremely slow growing plants. They don't require much of anything to keep healthy.

Look into dry feet and the ei method. Modify your dosing as needed based on plant growth and looking out for specific deficiencies. They idea of ei method is to provide more than enough ferts to ensure your plants have everything they need in that regard.

Biggest thing you can do for you plants is co2. For over a year I run a low tech tank and swore up and down that I wanted to keep a non co2 and no excel tank. My co2 levels were always very low. I was fairly successful in.my first year and grew some healthy plants .

I recently setup a full pressurized system and have seen first hand what the difference is. The difference in the way the plants grow and look (health wise) is so very different.

I am able to grow dense thick plants rather than a crypt with only a handful of nice leaves.

I suggest you consider co2 if you haven't already. Most aquatic plants are made up with 40% carbon.
That's what I have to do for my next tank is to add co2 for my plants. I'm thinking of 75gal tank and how do you determine the amount and size tank for co2 ? And types of set ups?

The biggest tank you can afford and fit is best. Don't look for the cheapest regulators either. Best bang for buck on prebuilt ones are co2art and glad regs. But lots of people do their own builds. I went with CO2Art and I am very pleased thus far.

I diffuse through a cerges reactor that I made, they are easy to make and seems to do a great just. I might toss and inline atomic diffuser before the cerges reactor to see how that works.

Thanks very much for the tip !
I'm going to build a 75gal tank, planted for Angels and Discus and I see now what the difference is now using the co2 , plant size and growth. This is my first attempt for this type of fish and planted tank, I started out small but its time now to go bigger . learning is fun and the people on AA are knowledgeable and helpful.
Thanks again and I will try to post pics when I get my tank started.[emoji225]

Back
Top Bottom