23G Rimless Community Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow...DSM and blender/yogurt moss method? You certainly have a virtue I have little of... patience!

So what are you going to do about the lighting?

I searched that question before and it's recommended 1.5 bags of 9 liters. However, you can utilize decorative sand for the front and bank up the AS on one side to possibly make 1 bag work.

I got by with a single 9 liter but I would deinately suggest getting at least another 3 liters.

Thanks for quick reply, Bri

NA has AS for $40... not too much more than ADG and no wait if I need it - 2 bags won't hurt

I got wood

I stopped by NA today to "look around" like I do every few days and spied a piece of what i believe is grape wood that might be large enough, and interesting enough, to anchor the hardscape my 60P build
20130920_203121.jpg

I think a few more loose pieces can easily be added, but I like the way this piece is solid, leggy, and breaks the rim line of the tank

The "living room" side
20130920_203410.jpg

The "kitchen" side\
q1DcpOZTQ9JbE1gn-Jiy5wZ74R2LzRj6hEDQM5orh9U=w649-h487-no

From above
20130920_203716.jpg

If I decide to keep it I'll do some trimming of the base/big cut-end to help it sit and blend-in a bit better. Then, I'll attempt to boil it, and soak it, and try a yogurt/moss paint job on parts of it. That should fit in with a dry start.

On other parts I'll attach some other plants and mosses by tying. I would like to get some growth going at and above the waterline.

Since I am trying to build a tank visible from 2 rooms I have to consider both views as front views. The base or cut-end of the wood will be against the "back" of the tank. The "back" will be one of the small sides against the wall, leaving enough room for the pipes.

Here is the view from the "front" opposite the small end against the wall.
20130920_203539.jpg

Petrified wood
I also picked up some petrified wood at Allan's Aquarium on Lincoln
vLFflNcLUYvHnBSleNT3ji_h1F4jP4JOn8RPwC4siso=w649-h487-no

Not sure how I'm going to work these pieces in yet but they looked good so I grabbed them. I don't see too much of this stuff on the westside.

I'll get to playing with the scape this weekend I think.

Those are some nice pieces of DW... Especially the ones from NA. I doubt they are grapewood... i recall reading grapewood wood rot submerged.

Those are some nice pieces of DW... Especially the ones from NA.

It's one piece. That's what I like about it so much.

I doubt they are grapewood... i recall reading grapewood wood rot submerged.

Good point. I did a quick google search and only included results from this forum.

There are positive opinions
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/using-grapewood-89376.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/is-grapewood-safe-213745.html

And negative ones
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/can-i-put-grapewood-in-my-tank-179637.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/is-this-safe-to-put-in-my-tank-187068.html

And one that starts out negative but becomes positive
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/grapewood-as-driftwood-117522.html

It seems like there are different experiences, possibly based on different species of wood being sold as grapewood when perhaps they are not. I used to use grapewood in terrariums for lizards, the piece I have does not look like that except close in color. This wood has a smooth, hard finish.

The Grape wood I see commercial available for birds and terrariums appears have a rougher, more porous surface, almost like it had been be sandblasted. Lizard and bird poop and pee used stain it easily. I could see that stuff rotting no problem.

I'm hoping it's something like manzanita root... would better pictures help? I don't want to use it if there is a chance it will rot and I'll have to tear up the tank.

Well I bought similar driftwood from NA and it's good stuff. I doubt they'd sell anything not suitable for your tank. Toru is good to go!

As a matter of fact, I'll be using the DW I got from him in my 60p. Maybe I'll initiate the build thread preliminaries soon.

Looks good man!

Hey, what is the stone selection like at NA? I'm on the hunt for the perfect rock... :p

Yeah that's a good question, Mike. I remember a little over a year ago, I saw some good layout material there. Not sure how it is now. But IMO, NA is like a mini AFA avail. to the So. Cal people.

Yeah that's a good question, Mike. I remember a little over a year ago, I saw some good layout material there. Not sure how it is now. But IMO, NA is like a mini AFA avail. to the So. Cal people.

For both Bill and Brian

Toru has a nice selection of Yamaya and Seiryu stones. He also has some typical volcanic fish tank rock in 1 or 2 different colors. Ne does not have any petrified wood at the moment. He also has some natural looking made up rock sculptures, suitable for smaller starter tanks. Nothing I've paid much attention to.

He has a nice selection of driftwood, mostly small and medium pieces right now. I've picked up most of my DW from him so far as his selection is good and he constantly gets more in.

NA has a nice layout board filled with black gravel and dividers that allow you to mock up your scape using wood and rock before you buy, nice feature. I've seen Toru work with client scaping setups, even using hardscape items clients bring in.

I like NA, and Toru, it's a great local resource and he is a big SCAPE supporter. I'm happy to pay a bit more to keep his store around. Plus he is the only ADA shop for 50 miles.

Dude, Toru is cool... I used to stop by NA after work all the time. His display tanks are super nice too. He's like the Mr. Miyagi of Planted Tanks in SoCal. Mike, here's a hint... if you wax his car or paint his fence, he'll teach you karate! ;)

Dude, Toru is cool... I used to stop by NA after work all the time. His display tanks are super nice too. He's like the Mr. Miyagi of Planted Tanks in SoCal. Mike, here's a hint... if you wax his car or paint his fence, he'll teach you karate! ;)

I was hoping he'd let me pick one of his tanks.... I don't need karate, I've got an XD45 :cool:

Nothing much to report

Picked up a second bag of AS at NA yesterday, just to have 2 on hand

Rumor is ADG is about to run out of 9L AS if they haven't already...

Back
Top Bottom