23L Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not netter necessarily. The normal flourish provides necessary nutrients (iron, potassium, etc) for plants, while excel is a carbon supplement ment to replace co2 in borderline high light systems, or even just give a boost to your plants in medium and low light situations. With co2 it is largely redundant, but is also a potent algaecide. I use it for usually about a week at a time when Im experiencing algae issues, usually caused by equipment malfunctions.

Basefrog said:
So here are some pictures of the DIY CO2 system I have..

Bottle:
- 2L
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 ts of baking power
- 1/2 ts of baking yeast ( Plus a little more for good luck ;) )

Bubble Counter:
- An old 'bath salt' tube thing my sister had >.<
- Half full of water
- One end of 'blue' tube submersed (to see bubbles)

Diffuser:
- About 2cm/1 inch of a wooden chopstick
- I whittled it down to the outside diameter of the tube (so it was still too big to fit in)
- Then I boiled the end of the tube for a few seconds so that it was more stretchy/flexible
- then I slowly managed to squeeze the chopstick into the end
- This enables a snug fit and makes sure no CO2 can leak

By sealing the tube at the end how is the co2 able to dissipate into the water column? Is the chopstick porous?

Yes the chopstick is porous. Though make sure it is a wooden one! This is because the CO2 can then travel through the Xylem/Phloem tubes withing the wood as water did when it was a living tree. ;)

At the end of the day it does work.

Chopstick or bamboo in particular is your best diffuser you can find. The only problem is you'll have to replace it a lot because it clogs up easy. Therefore they designed the more expensive ones like the ceramic diffuser.

As for the excel, if your using CO2 I personally don't see a reason to order it. Unless you would like to have it around for a backup if your system fail. Excel was not designed to be an algeacide and Seachem themselves can't guarantee it.

epiphysis said:
Chopstick or bamboo in particular is your best diffuser you can find. The only problem is you'll have to replace it a lot because it clogs up easy. Therefore they designed the more expensive ones like the ceramic diffuser.

As for the excel, if your using CO2 I personally don't see a reason to order it. Unless you would like to have it around for a backup if your system fail. Excel was not designed to be an algeacide and Seachem themselves can't guarantee it.

How often would it have to be replaced(chopstick-bamboo)?

I have no personal experience with it. But what I have read was that it is part of your weekly maintenance if not more. Because of the extremely fine pores and high concentrasion of CO2 it does lead to localized diatom buildup as well as other algae. But that you get with any diffuser or tank setup.

You're correct about Seachem. They don't claim excel to be an algaecide (largely for legal reasons). This is similar to the way that Prime can detoxify nitrates at high concentrations. They don't know why it does, and it was never the intention of the product to do it, but if you happen to need to use it to detoxify nitrates *wink*wink*nudge*nudge.... That being said, glutaraldehyde is a well known disinfecting agent and is undoubtedly an effective algaecide. I have used it many times to cull out algae, and it is EXTREMELY satisfying to watch hair algae turn pink and die under the effects of Excel. Many, many other people have used it like this with limited repercussions.

I have a pressurized CO2 system, and I still keep some glut around... just in case.

Also, there are ceramic type diffusers available that work with the kind of pressures generated by DIY CO2.

But one thing is for sure. Seachem products work!

I personally think they got some form of opiate in their products that makes plant grow. Ever since I used their products my plants just go BOOM.

But controlling algae in a nano tank is more than just a quick fix of excel or any other cure. You'll need to find the source of the problem. And that's why nano tanks are such a big challenge.

My HC leaves are starting to go transparent =/ This is most probably due to the low light. So tomorrow I shall defiantly install the LEDs! And all i can do is hope the Flourish comes ASAP!

Do you happen to know what your nitrate levels are? That can sometimes cause issues.

Also, you might experience complete melt off due to the fact that many commercial level plant growers grow plants emersed as opposed to submerged, and they have to transition to submerged 'mode' when you first get them.

+1 on aqua_chem's post.

Plus get some macro ferts going so long. Those I mentioned on a previous post. Tomorrow after tour exam get some saltpeter and no-salt. Shouldn't cost more than 3 pounds. And for a 23l ytank will last you more than a year or 2.

KNO3 is what makes up saltpeter and some brands of stump remover.

I believe no-salt is a form of KCl, which you can use for potassium. You can sometimes find it as 'Potash of sulfur' (K2SO4) or some other potash derivatives. Most will be ok for aquarium usage.

Phosphates can be found in Fleet Enema, which will be all kinds of fun to buy.

I'm not sure how many macronutrients Flourish will have in it, as I think it's more of a micro mix than anything. It has some N+P in it, but whether it's significant or negligible remains to be seen.

Alternately, you can buy it all as dry ferts directly from a website or a hydroponics store. It should cost you around $20 or so, but is more convenient.

Cool thanks epiphysis!
And thanks Aquarium_Lover04 and GodFan for following! =D

So all the LED lights have finally come and I have been busy making a little light hood for the strips. Did some wiring and finally it's done! Looks EPIC if i'm honest >.<

Attachments

• SS101447.jpg
    SS101447.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 103
  • SS101448.jpg
    SS101448.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 123
  • SS101451.jpg
    SS101451.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 163
Back
Top Bottom