24" Light on 36" Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chasetopher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I have a 20g Tall tank (24" Width) with a dual 24" T5HO light on it. It's heavily planted with Mid and High light plants. I keep algae away with DIY CO2 and Excel.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 40B tank (36" Width) in the near future, and curious if I can use my same light? That's 6" on each side that won't have direct light. I have the light hanging just high enough so my glass top can flip over.

Will the same plants still do fine with the 40B setup? Will I get any growing quality light in the 6" outside the light column? I guess I can do some rocks or driftwood on the sides, leaving most plants under the light column.

That really should be fine. If you feel you are not getting the growth you got before you can change them out but until then I would not waste the money on another light. Try using mylar over the lights to help direct the lighting towards to outside. You can also try to barter or trade for a longer light. Craigslist is really picking up on that level. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom