25 Nano Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,
This thread is a spin off of another one ( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/need-advice-for-2-tanks-243574-6.html#post2313714 ) where alot of my decisions where made. Anybody is welcome to follow along on the build. The only thing I ask is that haters go somewhere else. My methods and goals are unorthodox but proven. Constructive criticism is welcome but no rude "your a fish murderer if you dont do this my way" comments.

So my goal is to have an attractive, low maintenance setup. With my schedule and the location of the tank water changes are rarely done so I am going to setup so i dont really need water changes ( Tom's Bucket O' Mud (semi self-sustaining aquarium) this is my main resource). I also would like to supplement feeding with RCS bred in-tank.

On to the good stuff! Hardware:
25 gallon 24"L x 13"W x 19"H
24" Coralife T5NO 2x 14W
Frankensponge filter (filter parts fitted into a aquaclear sponge)
Heater (I dont remember the wattage)

Decor:
Various Rocks, Ecocomplete substrate, Driftwood

Plants:
Crypts, anubias, dwarf four leaf clover, some type of moss, SUGGESTIONS?

Fauna:
10x Kubato Rasbora ( Microdevario kubotai — Seriously Fish )
2-4x Scarlet Badis ( Dario dario – Scarlet Badis — Seriously Fish )
2-4x Crocodile Toothpick ( Indostomus crocodilus — Seriously Fish )
3x Otto ( Otocinclus macrospilus – Oto — Seriously Fish )
6x Habrosus Cory ( Corydoras habrosus (Salt and Pepper Cory) — Seriously Fish )
Inverts: RCS, Snails, and Ostropods

The plan is to add the ecocomplete in in about 2 weeks and have it hilled up alot. Then have the rocks and such arranged hopefully in a nice looking display. Then hopefully my plants will look good. I want the dwarf clover and the crypts to essentially carpet the whole bottom. The moss I want to use to cover the sponge filter. I dont know what type though because I dont want to have it grow wild. The goal is too pick plants that need little to no trimming. The anubias will likely be attached to the rock.

I am trying to nail down a good time line. I have the cories and ottos already. I will add the RCS next to allow them to start a strong colony. I am probably going to add the ostropods/copepods from a jar in my room by the window. Will they live without decaying plants? After they are established I will add the rest of the fish.

So I am open to, and hoping for, suggestions! Thanks for following and God bless!

I will add pics of the current setup as things progress. Im kinda ashamed of it rigt now lol

Don't be ashamed! You have to start somewhere. That means it can only get better. :) I like posting pictures so I can journal my progress and see how much everything has improved. Lol. It makes me smile and feel accomplished. It also helps me see if I've accidentally taken a step back. Haha.

Don't be ashamed! You have to start somewhere. That means it can only get better. :) I like posting pictures so I can journal my progress and see how much everything has improved. Lol. It makes me smile and feel accomplished. It also helps me see if I've accidentally taken a step back. Haha.

Thats a cool idea! I will try to get pic tomorrow.

No hurry. Taking things slow is the best thing anyone can do in this hobby. Just letting you know I'll be around when you have things in and updates to share. I'm usually bad about updating my 20H thread and I never even made one for my 5.5 gallon tank. ~_~

No hurry. Taking things slow is the best thing anyone can do in this hobby. Just letting you know I'll be around when you have things in and updates to share. I'm usually bad about updating my 20H thread and I never even made one for my 5.5 gallon tank. ~_~

Um I just made it a ruke that if you have a build thread you have to share a link ane the most up to date fts you have lol

Um I just made it a ruke that if you have a build thread you have to share a link ane the most up to date fts you have lol

I don't know how to share a link, but here are my tanks I put some info since I can't share links. Lol. :)

I just got to put the water in my future 55 gallon reef tonight! My thread for this tank is called "Jordan's 55 gallon reef!"

Here it is:

img_2316555_0_8a07aa834102a03d8df70b22da6b3ca7.jpg

Here is my 10 gallon nano reef. A video was just as easy to upload, so i did that instead. (this is a couple days ago. Turbo snails knocked my rocks over. They found a new home.) I bought it with no corals and 1 dotty back that I returned. Everything that is in there I've bought in the last 2 months. I can't wait for my corals to spread!! (the 2 ocellaris clowns will end up in the 55. :)) my thread for this tank is called "first nano tank."

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums...3-853E-C5E560939122-7977-000008F521E82B43.mp4

This is a 29 freshwater that has cycled and is waiting for its inhabitants! Thought about doing a dwarf puffer tank, but now I'm thinking crayfish. :) fish room is a little sad without my cray. The decor was used to cycle. It will have stacked slate rock as a natural looking decor. :) I have a crayfish thread called "show me your crawfish!" it has pics of my past crayfish aquariums and kind of where I'm headed with this one. :)

img_2316555_1_e80e5aa68cbeedaecc9f353fa599945e.jpg

This is my very low-tech planted 3 gallon halfmoon with a male Betta. :)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums...1-A3FE-8D8CA14592AE-7977-000008F5622F2A43.mp4

My 5 gallon planted tank with a male halfmoon Betta, Raider Red. He's a bit of a show off. This tank is definitely a work in progress. My thread for my planted tanks is called "Help me! New to planted tanks" lol.

img_2316555_2_bda0cf3b1d377dedd6c17ad42b884ded.jpg

I also have a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon that need some cleaning. Then they'll be transformed into something, I'm sure. :) thank you for making that rule. Lol. I love sharing my tanks.

I almost always use the app for the forum so I can't post links, but you can find people's threads by looking at their profile statistics. At least that's how I find them! ^_^

I almost always use the app for the forum so I can't post links, but you can find people's threads by looking at their profile statistics. At least that's how I find them! ^_^

That would have been much easier than typing all of that. -.-

Alright I know it has been awhile anyone still here? I got delayed by a family emergency but income tax refund is on the way so soon it will be! 3 bags of eco :) Now any plant suggestions? Also is the eco to coarse for bottom dwellers?
I may be changing the stocking list lol I discovered betta rutilans and moth catfish :)

Yep, still following. Eco is fine for most bottom dwellers. I'm not familiar with those fish but I'll try to remember to look them up once I'm on the PC. I will say, if you aren't able to do monthly water changes I'd stock it very lightly. It will make it a more enjoyable tank in the long run.

I also recommend getting regular four leaf clover in addition to the dwarf. I find that the normal one grows way better though still slow. You can put the dwarf four leaf in the open areas and the normal one around or near your hardscape (rocks or wood). It gives it a very natural looking transition and if one does poorly you will always have the other as a reliable ground cover. If both do well it'll be win win! Also, letting a few plants grow above the water line is considered a big help with tanks that don't get many water changes. If you can do that it can have a amazing look to it. Just an option. It isn't necessary to do it that way.

Yep, still following. Eco is fine for most bottom dwellers. I'm not familiar with those fish but I'll try to remember to look them up once I'm on the PC. I will say, if you aren't able to do monthly water changes I'd stock it very lightly. It will make it a more enjoyable tank in the long run.

I also recommend getting regular four leaf clover in addition to the dwarf. I find that the normal one grows way better though still slow. You can put the dwarf four leaf in the open areas and the normal one around or near your hardscape (rocks or wood). It gives it a very natural looking transition and if one does poorly you will always have the other as a reliable ground cover. If both do well it'll be win win! Also, letting a few plants grow above the water line is considered a big help with tanks that don't get many water changes. If you can do that it can have a amazing look to it. Just an option. It isn't necessary to do it that way.
Ok so both four leaf clovers. My LFS has those so I will try. So far this is my planned plant list. Please help me edit it perfectly :)
Various crypts
dwarf 4 leaf
regular 4 leaf
banana plant
anubias
Now this is where I need help. I want to put the anubias attached to the hardscape but the other plants are confusing. The goal with the banana plant is to get the leaves grown to the top resting on the surface. The four leaf I was think I would do some of it on a high spot so it would get better light. Any other suggestions?
BTW I tried hills in my 56 gallon tank and WOW! It looks amazing! I am even more set on the hills now!
I am glad you mentioned the above the surface plants. I have pothos vine now. I do not want to see roots everywhere so I was thinking I would buy a longer tube for my sponge filter and shove the roots in that. Also I could drop a little aragonite in there for the shrimp. Would that work out ok?
Another thing. I realize I need a lightly stocked tank. However I also realize it cannot be understocked in this kind of situation or else the plants will not thrive. So stocking wise I am wanting to do some revisions. I will list my planned list with my unnegotiables in red. If you guys think of anything I should change let me know. Especially with the algae eaters:
3x ottos
3-4x Scarlet Badis
2-4x Crocodile toothpick
10x kubati rasbora (still iffy on this one...)
2-4 moth catfish
RCS
Alright help me! lol Scarlets are orange because if somebody can show me something extremely awesome I could replace them.

I'm not familiar with moth catfish. Gonna have to google those guys. lol

You may like a red tiger lotus. They aren't hard to find and are usually sold as bulbs. They don't need very bright light and can send out floating leaves. Most people cut then and that forces it to grow more lower leaves. It's considered a centerpiece plant. I bet you'd love it! Check em out. Anubias are one of my faves. I like your list so far but someone else may be a better advisor on those fish. -_-

Back
Top Bottom