25 tall light and substrate questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Setting up a 25 tall (well resetting) and have 2 questions. I am trying to grow downio, flame moss, maybe some vals, and crypts (will probably add later)
I need to know which light to get finnex fugeray planted or ray2? I will not be dosing ferts or co2 (its gonna be dirted)
Also with a dirted tank is their a significant advantage in using an ecocomplete cap over a gravel cap?
Thanks and God bless!

With a fugeray you would be looking at probably 20 PAR, with a ray II around 37. I would go with the ray 2 if you're trying to grow downoi, however I think you would want ferts, possibly something like glut as well. The tank being dirted doesn't really take away the importance of water column fertilizer.

With a fugeray you would be looking at probably 20 PAR, with a ray II around 37. I would go with the ray 2 if you're trying to grow downoi, however I think you would want ferts, possibly something like glut as well. The tank being dirted doesn't really take away the importance of water column fertilizer.

Thanks! To be honest the downoi is an experiment. If it doesnt work I will find a low light plant to replace it. The fugeray planted and the ray 2 are roughly the same color correct? I am jervius because the only other led I have is a current usa and I can pic the color temp I want.

The FugeRay Planted+ (planted "plus") has a combo of white, red, and blue LEDs.

The (regular, older) FugeRay has just white LEDs.

The Ray 2 has all white LEDs as well but just more of them.

FugeRay Planted+ has the best color output of the three, but you do sacrafice a little PAR. But if you went with a Ray 2, you get higher PAR, but colors get washed out. It's a trade-off. That's why a lot of Ray 2 owners who like the extra PAR and want better colors, supplement this fixture now with a RGB LED like the Monster Ray (I believe Beamworks has a cheaper alternative if you don't mind fixtures not matching).

It's a matter of preference that you'll need to decide. I personally like the FugeRay Planted+ because I'm using the smaller clip-light version, the FugeRay-R with red LEDs in it. IMO, it looks much better than when I used to run a Ray 2 on the same tank. I've also made an adjustment to growing DHG instead of HC in this tank (DHG is less light demanding than HC). So far, the DHG is responding well. I'm not sure if HC would grow because I haven't tried it with a lower PAR LED light. It's just one of those things you have to compare and be realistic with what you can grow as a "best guest" based on advertised PAR numbers (unless you have access to a PAR meter) and information that's out there pertaining to any particular plant you want to grow.

Edit:
However, I still think all white LED's, such as the Ray 2, still perform well if your goal is an all green tank like an Iwagumi scape. The high PAR grows HC and UG, along with other light demanding plants, quite well (given that the distance isn't too great -- co2 and ferts considered).

Last edited:
Thanks! Is there a cheap way to have the best of both worlds?

You'll be at about 17" from light to substrate if you place the light right on the tank and if you have at least 3" of substrate.

There's no advertised PAR at 17", but at 15" the PAR is 45 for the Fugeray Planted+

So maybe we can guesstimate that you'll be getting strong 30+ PAR at the substrate. You can still grow a lot at that PAR.

So with that said, I'd get the Planted+ because I'm a fan of having some red led in there.

There's a 10% coupon code:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=467457

If you ever decide you want to grow more light demanding plants later on, you can always add another fixture later.

You'll be at about 17" from light to substrate if you place the light right on the tank and if you have at least 3" of substrate.

There's no advertised PAR at 17", but at 15" the PAR is 45 for the Fugeray Planted+

So maybe we can guesstimate that you'll be getting strong 30+ PAR at the substrate. You can still grow a lot at that PAR.

So with that said, I'd get the Planted+ because I'm a fan of having some red led in there.

There's a 10% coupon code:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=467457

If you ever decide you want to grow more light demanding plants later on, you can always add another fixture later.
Ok cool fugeray planted it is! I just got to wait for it on amazon!

Amazon actually uses a fulfillment service for much of their stuff. Basically it means that a vendor just signs up with them as another outlet to sell their stuff.

As long as you use PayPal you'll have sufficient means of recourse in the event of a dispute.

Back
Top Bottom