29 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRMagno

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all! This is my first thread on here. I'm relatively new to the hobby but thought I would start a thread to get some more direct advice and criticism. This tank has been up for about 2 months. I'll spare you the past and start with the present. Right now the stocking list is as follows:
Fish
6 Zebra Danios
3 Long Finned Danios
6 Nanus Cory Cats
1 Common Pleco (only temporary
1 or 2 Rcs
Plants
Anachris
Java Fern
Temple Narrow Leaf
Moneywort
Cabomba
Cardinal
Christmas Moss

Right now I have a HOB filter and stock T8 light. I have a 55w light coming tomorrow from AH Supply and will be setting up DIY co2 next week. I also have 2 guppies in the QT waiting to go in in the next couple days. After the light and co2 I will be looking to add more plants. The next move for fish is a couple more RCS, 6 silver Hatchetfish and either 2 more female guppies or 2 Endlers.

So guys, let me know what you think!

image-2285019030.jpg

image-83865582.jpg

image-1090980132.jpg

I'd never heard of Corydoras nanus. Nice looking Cat !!

I can't criticize as I'm a person who loves Black Sand, black backgrounds and lots of plants without any fake decor.

But you are on the right track. Always happy to see planted tanks. Glad you don't have clown puke gravel ;)

What kind of light are you going to ? T5 HO ?

Enjoy your tank :)

Mine are all little and linked in my sig.

Yea, I'm a big fan of the all natural look too. But my wife and I started putting this tank together before I knew that. Plus she gets some input to, hence the big blue rock in the corner. Yea, I was very pleased after finding the c. nanus. They supposedly have a blue and purple iridescent color once they are comfortable. a few of them already have the blue coming in. The light I have coming is a dual t5 in one bulb. I can't remember if it is technically HO or not, but it's 55Ws with a really good reflector. I figure sitting on top of the tank it will give me medium to high lighting.

It's a good start. Your tastes will evolve so expect constant dissatisfaction and change.

JRMagno said:
Yea, I'm a big fan of the all natural look too. But my wife and I started putting this tank together before I knew that. Plus she gets some input to, hence the big blue rock in the corner. Yea, I was very pleased after finding the c. nanus. They supposedly have a blue and purple iridescent color once they are comfortable. a few of them already have the blue coming in. The light I have coming is a dual t5 in one bulb. I can't remember if it is technically HO or not, but it's 55Ws with a really good reflector. I figure sitting on top of the tank it will give me medium to high lighting.

LOL no problem. I used to have a diver in my tank that "swam" using tablets.

My tastes have changed a lot. 3 years ago I started reading TFH magazine and saw the AMAZING planted tanks and got hooked.

Joined a club and now I'm here :)

Your light sounds good. I'd love to see more pics of your Corys. I have habrosus. They are in the vid in my sig

Here is one of them. They are shy little guys, the only time they are together is hiding under the DW or when they are playing together. But, the second I get to the glass they dart away. They are incredibly fast!

image-1484946228.jpg

If it's 55w it's a PC bulb. I had two of those AH supply lights over a 29g and it was a handful lol. You won't be disappointed with that purchase. Personally I would wait to get your co2 going same time you introduce that light.

Have you got fertilizers to dose?

Peyton said:
If it's 55w it's a PC bulb. I had two of those AH supply lights over a 29g and it was a handful lol. You won't be disappointed with that purchase. Personally I would wait to get your co2 going same time you introduce that light.

Have you got fertilizers to dose?

Right now I'm using flourish comprehensive and excel. I'm probably going to get potassium and iron soon. Still have some reading to do on that.

I'll keep that in mind. I still have a 2liter of soda before I can build the co2. I'll probably set lights and co2 up on Monday, depending on how complicated the lights are!

I was thinking of moving to a Zoo Med 511 canister filter. I have the 501 on my 10 and like the extra space and water movement from the spray bar. The problem is there is only room to put the filter under my tank. The website says it has 160 gph and I don't think that is enough for a head height of a little over 3 feet. I could rig it a bit higher, maybe a foot. Does anyone have any experience with the 511 and head height?

Updates! On Friday I got my 55w lights from AH Supply in. Was able to retro fit them in my old strip light no problem. Over the weekend I got my DIY CO2 holes drilled. I have everything set just waiting for my drill to charge so I can finish putting a hole in my cabinet for tubes. I will be moving my 2 guppies to the DT this evening. Also got the next batch of fish ordered for the QT, 6 silver Hatchetfish and 2 green cobra Endlers, they should arrive on Thursday! Also ordered a bunch of plants, I'll give a list of those when they come in. I'll upload some new pictures this evening

Everything is all set up! 55w 6700 K light, DIY co2 with micro bubbles coming out, 2 guppies and 6 assassin snails moved in and doing well so far!

image-3739373593.jpg

image-675223026.jpg

image-2728489006.jpg

image-205737712.jpg

image-62761669.jpg

CO2 start producing bubbles last night. So stoked that there were no leaks! Also went out and got the ZooMed 511 canister filter. Works great with controlled flow for in and out. Just realized that I'll need some type of disconnect valves so I ordered some. However with the lack of a hob filter and the addition of CO2 I noticed a few fish hanging out at the surface so I installed 2 air stones to run when the lights are off. One right next to the co2 diffuser and one on the other side. You can also see the new dwarf lettuce I got from daileene in the pics!

image-3698677929.jpg

image-117346279.jpg

image-1192888368.jpg

image-3146134667.jpg

You might want to consider putting the diffuser under or near the intake of the canister filter if it's not already. Some of the bubbles should get sucked into the filter a dissolve inside the canister. Way more efficient than letting the co2 bubble straight to the surface.

I thought about it, but I read in a lot of places that putting it there destroys the impeller. I may end up putting a NyQuil cap over it, but I'm not sure I'll like the way it looks. I already hate having tubes and air stones in there :-/

I have had co2 running to the same powerhead for at least 4 years with no negative effects that I can tell. If it does any damage to the impeller it probably does it over long time frames.

Since you have a canister filter you could always try an inline reactor though. I use one called a cerges reactor and it works great.

Got my order in from live aquaria! 6 Silver Hatchetfish and one female Green Cobra Endler are currently drip acclimating! Unfortunately they did not ship the male Endler so I'll have to find out why. I'll take pictures tomorrow of the QT.

The plants I got are
One more bunch of Moneywort
One more stem of Cardinal Plant
One Anubias Nana
2 Chainsword
And 2 bunches of Ludwigia Peruensis (plus 1 free!)

Here are the pictures

image-917875138.jpg

image-590593757.jpg

image-1595881874.jpg

image-741472099.jpg

Back
Top Bottom