29 gallon rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heck09

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I finally got rid of some fish that were pretty much dumped on my doorstep and needed a way bigger tank, so I'm going to reclaim my 29 gallon and I figured it would be fun to get some input from you guys

Two 30 inch t5 daylight fixtures
No co2
Tahitian moon sand
And this piece of driftwood are what I have to start with ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438734928.538536.jpg

Let's get some ideas going and have some fun with this

I'm in no hurry to finish this build so prices are not really an issue (expensive items will take a little more time to get obviously)

But let's get some group thinking going and figure out what to do with this guy

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I finally got rid of some fish that were pretty much dumped on my doorstep and needed a way bigger tank, so I'm going to reclaim my 29 gallon and I figured it would be fun to get some input from you guys

Two 30 inch t5 daylight fixtures
No co2
Tahitian moon sand
And this piece of driftwood are what I have to start with View attachment 276098

Let's get some ideas going and have some fun with this

I'm in no hurry to finish this build so prices are not really an issue (expensive items will take a little more time to get obviously)

But let's get some group thinking going and figure out what to do with this guy

Are you wanting to go low-tech with this build?

That's the plan at first I think, start with a few low light plants until I upgrade the lighting and add co2,

Was thinking adding a planted plus 24/7 and some sort of co2 system once my promotion goes through though

That's the plan at first I think, start with a few low light plants until I upgrade the lighting and add co2,

Was thinking adding a planted plus 24/7 and some sort of co2 system once my promotion goes through though

Java Fern would be a good idea. I've grow it nicely in low-tech and high-tech (it's good for the corner of the tank). You could go ahead and get the Finnex planted+ 24/7, and just dim the lights until you want to upgrade to pressurized CO2. You could also buy plants that you would be comfortable with at first, and then sell them on the classifieds section later if you'd like to try tougher plants.

I have never been able to get Java fern to grow believe it or not

I am running out of room for my various crypts so I guess I could move then there, I just don't want to end up with 3 tanks full of crypts with a Amazon sword or two thrown in there you know what I mean?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438962758.475111.jpg

Got around to putting the black sand in( wound up going with 25 pounds of national geographic because it was on sale)

And put the big piece of driftwood in

Was planning on putting another piece of driftwood on the right side but I think some nice rocks will do fine

Let me know what you think guys!

I think it looks good. Plenty of options for plants for that tank!

I think it looks good. Plenty of options for plants for that tank!

Thanks, I'm thinking plenty of Java fern and Anubis on the big driftwood and the smaller piece I have ordered, and maybe rotalia and repens? But I'm not sure yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the 29 gallon tank is an odd shaped aquarium. I have one myself and am also redoing it (twinning), but anyways I'll share with you my thoughts and maybe itll spark something of your own or you can take any/all of my ideas.

whatever kind of lighting you choose just make sure you recognize the depth of the tank (assuming this is a regular 29G) plants at the bottom wont be getting as much lights as taller plants. so plants like vals could do well reaching the light at the top of the tank.
In my tank I have a piece of driftwood going directly to the top of the water, the plan here is to attach a ton of java fern to it. I'm going with a medium tech tank so ill spread it around until the driftwood is covered.

For fish I havent decided on a show fish.. but I'm going to go with cory cats (probably pygmy because I want to have a bunch of them) and some hatchets. this covers the top of the tank, and the nice footprint the 29G brings to the table. The show fish will be something peaceful and breed able. Rams are always a thought in my head but die so quickly even under amazing water conditions (just my experience).

More on plants. I'm going to attempt to stay away from swords, instead pick up a stemming plant that I can use to propagate and cover larger areas. Bacopa works will in my experience. Some star grass in front of that and maybe some hair grass if I’m feeling lucky. Lots of root tabs ecocomplete and topped with sand (undecided there actually). and of course leave room for the plants I buy on impulse.
Aquascape wise I'm going to go with my driftwood and a few pieces of dark rock to grow plants on, building both sides with larger capacities of substrate following the 2/3s rule leaving space in the middle (middle right actually) for the cory's to swim around.

Best of luck, hope I helped in one way or another..

I think the 29 gallon tank is an odd shaped aquarium. I have one myself and am also redoing it (twinning), but anyways I'll share with you my thoughts and maybe itll spark something of your own or you can take any/all of my ideas.

whatever kind of lighting you choose just make sure you recognize the depth of the tank (assuming this is a regular 29G) plants at the bottom wont be getting as much lights as taller plants. so plants like vals could do well reaching the light at the top of the tank.
In my tank I have a piece of driftwood going directly to the top of the water, the plan here is to attach a ton of java fern to it. I'm going with a medium tech tank so ill spread it around until the driftwood is covered.

For fish I havent decided on a show fish.. but I'm going to go with cory cats (probably pygmy because I want to have a bunch of them) and some hatchets. this covers the top of the tank, and the nice footprint the 29G brings to the table. The show fish will be something peaceful and breed able. Rams are always a thought in my head but die so quickly even under amazing water conditions (just my experience).

More on plants. I'm going to attempt to stay away from swords, instead pick up a stemming plant that I can use to propagate and cover larger areas. Bacopa works will in my experience. Some star grass in front of that and maybe some hair grass if I’m feeling lucky. Lots of root tabs ecocomplete and topped with sand (undecided there actually). and of course leave room for the plants I buy on impulse.
Aquascape wise I'm going to go with my driftwood and a few pieces of dark rock to grow plants on, building both sides with larger capacities of substrate following the 2/3s rule leaving space in the middle (middle right actually) for the cory's to swim around.

Best of luck, hope I helped in one way or another..

I'm planning on upgrading to the planted + 24/7 soon but that sounds like a good layout you have working

I'm thinking about just using river stones for some rocks and just letting the driftwood being the main hardscape

Ended up going with the river stones
Made a little "riverbed" or "creek bed" and placed 4 of the larger stones out separate, once the driftwood gets here Sunday I think the hard scape will be finished

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439002230.679477.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439002246.595870.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439002261.962367.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439002273.946972.jpg

For fauna I'm thinking small schooling fish like tetras and pigme cories, but I'm not sure yet
The mrs wants something that will breed easily and I don't know of any smaller fish that are easy to get to spawn

I'll update this again when the other piece of driftwood gets in

And the new piece of driftwood is in
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439220926.641004.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439220947.125600.jpg

It's got potential... I'd take the piece on the right and have it jutt out and up towards front left, hang it with xmas moss. Huge piece.. I'd spin it in such a way it takes more midway er space than floor space of that makes sense? Digging the river bed:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's got potential... I'd take the piece on the right and have it jutt out and up towards front left, hang it with xmas moss. Huge piece.. I'd spin it in such a way it takes more midway er space than floor space of that makes sense? Digging the river bed:)

More like this
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439221700.525214.jpg

I'd stand it up so it's taller than wider. It's a tall tank so I feel it will better suit the height.

I'd stand it up so it's taller than wider. It's a tall tank so I feel it will better suit the height.

Will do, I have been working spinning the big one around and I have it taking up a little less floor space now, ended up seeing a little baby peacock in here so I guess the Africans spawned somehow before my friend got his tank up and running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439224309.318950.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439224373.339052.jpg

Cleared out some of the crypt undulata red madness I had going on in my 10g and decided to put it in here for now, also found a small Java fern cluster I thought was long gone under some of the crypts

And took the large Anubis out and added it in here as well

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439247251.145721.jpg

If anyone has had good experiences with dwarf sag let me know, I plan to have it on the front right, not sure what else I want yet but need some taller stuff for the back

Definitely more Java fern (narrow lead hopefully) the crypts will probably over run me again in a couple months so I could move some of that around when that happens...

But let me know any suggestions you guys have so far

Back
Top Bottom