2G Hex Dream Planted Tank for Betta !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvijay07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I turned this project into a reality yesterday early in the morning for
my 2G Hex Betta Tank. First added about 1" of soil, added the plants
and then on top of this soil layer added 0.25" of gravel.

I have used normal soil without any problems in all my other tanks.
Also added a little bit of peat and perlite. The key is to wash the
soil well before using. I actually add a lot of water to the soil and
allow it to sit for a day. At this stage a lot of the materials that
float can be removed. The soil in the bottom is dense and will not
float. Moreover, it is already soaked and compact. To this a little
bit of peat moss and perlite can be added. However, make sure that
these go at the bottom as they tend to float.

Finally, top everything of with just dense soil and add gravel on top
of that. Add water slowly after all this.

Previously the bottom surface was just the acrylic. It was clearly
evident that my Betta didn't like it. Now he is more comfortable
lying down on the gravel and swimming among the plants. He seems more happy already.

Presently, in this tank, there are 5 Different kinds of plants all in
small quantities (including Java Moss and Java Fern).

I have also added a decorative stone for the tank bottom. All this
makes the tank look a lot better. It took about an hour. But the
efforts were well worth it. Next time I can do it much faster.

However there are some issues:

(a) I added a little bit too much of the plants. Moreover, they are
all positioned towards the tank corners. If there is an algae
problem, I might have to replant them all. There is a good chance
that this may happen.

(b) I have added too much soil (about 1"). It is clear now that about
0.5" is sufficient.

All this reduces the amount of water surface available to the Betta
significantly. But the good news is that I don't have to clean the
tank anymore. Hopefully, the water changes will be sufficient.

Vijay :D

That tank sounds great. I wish all Bettas got tanks as good as that.

It is not just the type of fish, the number of fish or the size of the tank that counts. The maintenance, stocking level, plants, decorations and all other aspects greatly contribute to successful fish keeping. Betta is very under estimated. They have showy fins, move gracefully and love to explore. My Betta recognizes me as well !!
Keeping a colorful betta in an excellent tank adds to the decor and is very pleasing to watch. I watch this tank noe more than my TV. Small tanks are easy to maintain and move around.

Vijay 8)

I agree tottally. I keep a single Betta in a 5 gallon tank heavily planted. He has jis pet snail to keep him company as we watch tv together.

What kind of a snail is that ? Is there a web-site for this snail ? Can I keep him as well in this 2G tank ? What other tank mates are suitable for my Betta in this 2G TANK ?

Thanks.

Vijay

http://www.applesnail.net/

That is a great snail website. My snail is a Ram's Horn snail. He is great at eating lefgt over food, some algea and decaying leaves. Eventually they will get to be about the size of a nickle or so. Big enough to watch but not a tank buster like regular apple snails or mystery snails. They are perfect for small tanks. They will breed but are easy to control by limiting their food (you don't feed Bettas much anyway) and by plucking out unwanted ones.

In a tank that small you might be able to put a couple of pygmy cories. But I like the snail as it does its job while I admire the betta. Plus I don't have to worry about water quality as much if I go on a trip for a few days.

Where did you get your snail ? At your local fish shop ? What are some of the names of other snails that I can consider for this tank ?

Also what are pygmy cories ? How many can I put in this tank ? Do these eat algae as well ?

I feed my Betta very well, there is no left over food usually. besides he gobbles everything that he gets.

Vijay

Most LFS's sell some sort of bug snail. Check to see what is available nearby and then ask on the list if it would be a good choice. I pretty much deal with the Ram's Horn. They also quite often come on plants when you buy them. In fact you might have snails right now. They aren't always easy to find at first.

I wouln't put more than 2 pygmy cories in your tank. They are catfish and do not eat algea but scavenge for left over food and sinking pellets.

Oh you could also check to see if your LFS sells fresh water shrimp, like amano or ghost shrimp. They are fun to watch, stay small and also do a great job of eating left overs. Not crayfish or crabs though!!!

Thanks for sharing all this useful info. I did have some snail come in my 10G tank from time to time. But they reproduce so fast. Are these the once that you are talking about ? Can they overtake the tank ?

Vijay

They generally only start to over populate if you over feed. If things start to get to that point sink a piece of spinach at night and in the morning it will generally be covered with snail. Take out and throw away, that simple. Of ocurse I love snails in my tank as I think that more life is cooler so my 10 gallon planted has 20 or more of the little guys. The biggest one (close to dime size) is the one that lives in the betta tank.

Do these snails eat algae ?

Someone adviced me to kill them all and throw them away as they can fllod the tank. So that is what I did. Now I hate to think that I have to pay for it !!!

Vijay :(

Some snails eat algea, some don't. The pond snails (small flat colourless spirals) and Ram's Horns tend to eat a bit of algea but eat left over food and decaying leaves. They will eat a few holes in good leaves but I don't mind. They really only flood the tank if they have excess plants and if you let them. Like most things they will reach a balance and really don't create much of a bioload. But different people feel differently about snails. Some people hate anything that they didn't specifically put in their tanks. For me I like the diversity as long as it isn't causing harm.

You have taught me a very important concept and I thank you for it. Your Kudos points have increased by 10 Points. :D

Vijay

Anything to help. I am glad to help. I hope your betta enjoys his palace!

Thanks, you are correct, Palace is the right word for my Betta Tank. I want to give him the best I can.

In winter my room goes down to 9 Degrees Celsius. Will the 15W incandescent lamp or the Fluorescent lamp be able to maintain the tank temperature at 23 Celsius or will I need a heater ?

Vijay

My betta seems fine with about 10 hours of light a day. He can hide in the tank in the plants if he needs to. I doubt that the heat produced from a light bulb is going to be enough to tackle that big a temp difference. Maybe a couple of degrees but not 14C. You have plenty of time so I would shop around and try to find the smallest heater possible. Otherwise can you move the tank in the winter?

Back
Top Bottom