2x20watt or 2x10watt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flip_lx

Aquarium Advice Freak
im in process of setting up my new 10gallon. i went out to wal-mart and bout some Lights of America bulbs. I came home with 2 of their 10watt mini aquarium bulbs and a 2pack of their 20watt sunlight bulbs. the larger bulbs are rated at 6500k and the 10watts while not rated seem the same color(tried an internet source nothing official but others say 6500k).

the real question which pair to use? im still uncertain as the final setup of plants for my tank but i have some micro grass and want it to really grow out. i've read mixed that it needs high light and/or low light. i was planing on buying another little micro sword from petco shortly so what do you recommend for this?

What do they look like? I bought some bulbs in the lighting section of walmart (think they were some type of off brand...not sure) and they are compact fluorescents.

If they are CFs, then I'd use the 20w bulbs. Micro grass needs high light. The 10w bulbs would only be 2wpg, which is low light over a 10g. Use the 20w bulbs and maybe get the Hagen CO2 system, or hook up DIY so you won't have algae....or if you plant heavily, maybe you won't have too much algae.

im sorry they are all compact fluorescent bulbs. Is a CO2 system necessary if i add micro sword soley or let my one grow way out(i've read it grows quickly to cover the aquarium which is what im wanting)

40 watts over a 10g would be more like medium-high light, so I don't guess you'd have to have CO2. I'd just watch out for algae and if you start getting alot of algae, you probably should add it.

2 of the horshoe type screw in lights is more than enough at 20 watts each. It may require CO2, I use it for all my tanks with plants now. 1, 20 should be enough that you don't have to worry about CO2 or both of the 10w bulbs. I get algae from a NO 48" 80 watts, fixture that is over 2, 10 gallon tanks and I got it really bad before I added CO2. About the same light when I compare them to the dual 20 watt screw ins, if the screw ins aren't actually a little brighter.

For a 10g with CF bulbs here is the following info from http://woo.gotdns.com/Aquarium/Lighting.htm (Ozz's work)

Compact Fluorescent
51W VeryHigh
38W High
26W Moderate
13W Low

I'm sitting at 26W (2x13W CF), and when my CO2 mixes run out, I start seeing algae show up. You will likely need CO2 if you hit that level.

ok so for my micro sword to grow i'd be best off using the 2x20watt CFs however if i decide agaisnt micro sword(for java fern/moss perhaps) the 2x10watts would be suffecient. as i've got some Flourish Excel en route will this help me delay adding a CO2 setup for the time being(having soley 1 plant)?

~edit as for the link above my tank measurements gave me a result of

Compact Fluorescent
34W VeryHigh
26W High
17W Moderate
9W Low

so would the 2x10watt perhaps be enough for medium/high light plants without having to worry much about algae?

Do you have a standard 10g tank?

A standard 10 has a footprint of 20x10 inches.

In either case, Co2 will be required for the 2 20w. but I say go for it. use the 2 20w bulbs and add a DIY Co2 system. a 10Gal is very easy to get good Co2 levels with a DIY system.

Agree you should go with the two 20w CF and DIY CO2. IME the effective/usable light won't be close to 40w of proper (not screw-in/self ballasted CF), though. People smarter than me attribute this to "restrike" from bulb shape.

Flip, I looked and those are the same bulbs I have (20w). I had planned on CO2 if I was to use those bulbs. You can setup a DIY system for cheap and on a 10g, you'd only need 1 2 liter bottle.

2x15w bulbs would be better and would be borderline for CO2, but you don't have those :). I'd go with the 2 20w bulbs, like the knowledgeable people above suggest and hook up some DIY CO2. You could grow the micro sword plus some pretty reddish plants.

Good luck! And show us some pictures when you get it planted!

ok swapped in the 2 20watts and ordered a cheap little co2 from Dr Foster/SMith was $12 so i tagged it along with my driftwood. once all is planted and hopefully growing(found this forum after i bought some nice gravel so no eco stuff here but adding Flourish Excel and Flourish as soon as my order comes in) i will take some pics and put em up, no eta on that though

Gravel will work. I have a beautiful (i think) planted 29g tank that has regular gravel. Works fine as long as you fertilize.

Other ferts you should consider are Potassium and Nitrogen (depending on your fish load and nitrAte level). I have the Seachem brand of those also.

Back
Top Bottom