30 Long advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im thinking about converting my 30 long to a high tech(ish) planted tank. The tank will need several things and the planning is still in the infancy stage but i definitely want to try it. There is a few things im wondering/need to know.

1. Substrate - I was thinking either dirt capped with either sand or eco-complete. Or just straight up eco-complete. If dirt then what type and how much (Cubic feet/pounds) and how much of a cap for dirt?

2. Lighting - Im not sure here, i just recently bought my first LED light. Im not sure what would be better though, a T5Ho fixture or a LED fixture. This is one i found in a quick search on ebay, Thoughts? 36 48 Multi 113233 | eBay

3. Carbon - I currently have Excel and would really like this to be my main source as DIY co2 is kind of a pain and i don't have the money for a pressurized system. If you DIY co2 is going t be exponentially better i will try that route.

4. Plants - I have a lot of issues with plants at my house due to having very high PH as well as pretty hard water. I really want some type of carpeting plant. This doesn't have to be the best looking plant it just needs to not die and grow lol.

I still need to buy a glass top for this tank as well as any substrate and lighting but this is going to give me at least an idea of what im going to need and a price point. Also bare in mind im trying to keep this as cheap as possible for the most part. So instead of maybe the best plant LED thats going to run me $100+ maybe something that will do the job needed, maybe isn't the absolute BEST quality but will still get the job done. I would like to keep the LED under $60 and substrate under $30 if possible.

Any advice/input is greatly appreciated.

In all honesty before I fall asleep for your budget on lights and substrate, potting soil with a cap and T5s.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I grew crypts and moss in a 20L and the 30" equivalent of this fixture. Growth was slow but steady (they sent out runners). I also grew Bacopa caroliniana. I tried Staurgyne repens and it last several months. Did not grow much and eventually got leggy. Then again, I supplied no carbon source or water column ferts. Only EcoComplete and root pellets.
You could probably grow anubias and Java fern but I would say no to any carpet plants. Fixture lasted about 2.5 years and just quit working.

So thats a no on carpeting plants..... That was one of the big reasons i wanted to try high-tech. I would do eco with water ferts and a carbon source. So what light am i going to need? I really don't want to spend more then $60-80 on a light. $100 being the absolute max. Would one of these be any better?

LED Light Multi Color 18" 24" 30" 36" 48" 72" High Lumen Aquarium Full Spectrum | eBay

129 LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum Freshwater Marine 36" 43" Fish Tank Lamp | eBay

36” 48” Multi Color 135 LEDs Light Full Spectrum High Lumen Aquarium Fish Tank | eBay

If you want high light for that price point it would be successfully done with the T5s. You can get the fixture at Home Depot for probably $30 for a dual fixture. Not sure exactly the light output and what not for the T5s. But then some good high output dual bulbs would be more cost effective and probably a higher PAR level then cheap LEDs. For $30 you would be able to get about 1 1/2 bags of the Eco complete and you probably need 3 for a good Aquascape. That is why potting soil with a cap would be more cost effective. And if you aren't doing co2, just the liquid excel it will be more difficult to sustain carpeting plants in such a tank that large. It would be much more expensive as well to keep buying bottles of the liquid co2

I have a bottle of excel but im not against DIY co2. Wont be doing pressurized Co2 though. How about a bag of eco-complete and the rest black diamond blasting sand? Also, Why did he say no on the T5s and you say yes? Just curious.

Oh I don't necessarily know about that specific fixture. But lots of people have success with the T5 fixtures and bulbs. Just research how many bulbs and the quality of bulb and the fixture that will give you the best par value. Most people started going to LEDS because they didn't produce a lot of heat, they lasted longer, and are more energy efficient. Plus aesthetically they look better, but T5s are very good at growing plants.
That sounds like a good idea, if you have large dependent root feeders. You will want to supplement the blasting sand with root tabs.
I personally didn't like DiY co2 it smelled terrible and looked "ghetto" to me. ?I would honestly start out with less co2 demanding high light plants and save 100-125$ ish for a paintball setup.

I use root tabs right now anyway. I like my amazon swords and crypts lol. I agree with looking stupid but i have never gotten a noticeably bad smell unless im right next to it. Cost and effect lol, Stupid looking save $100+ lol. I was originally looking at this T5 fixture (Odyssea PS Dual 6500K T5 Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant 2X Lamps 20 24 30 36 48 | eBay) but i cant seem to find the 39watt bulbs it takes VS the coralife 21watt bulbs i can buy right from kens. Looking at it more, is that a T5Ho fixture and it just doesn't say HO?

The bracket things (stuff that lets it sit on the tank) look strange on that one also.

Another question sense i have never owned t5s, do you need glass lids/do they go on the tank with glass lids or do they need to have no lid?

The reason I gave thumbs down on that particular Coralife T5 fixture was because it as a normal output (NO) fixture and not an HO fixture.
Not all T5 fixtures are the same. This link from 2012 displays a couple of charts with PAR values from various T5 and LEDs fixtures that were popular at the time. It's worth a look. I don't disagree with the T5 shop light option, especially if it is a higher quality one (e.g. - Home Depot Diamond Plate) versus a $10 one with a subpar reflector.
Unless a fixture was designed for exposure to moisture, I would try to use a glass canopy. The Odyssea model you listed does come with an acrylic shield.
I only use EcoComplete and perhaps one day may try an organic soil and EC cap setup. A few years back a local big box store was selling EC for $9 per 20# bag.

Oh and the fixture can be suspended above the aquarium with thin wire. If that answers your mounting question .

An alternative to yeast based DIY CO2 is the citric acid method. Those batches last a bit longer especially when you are able to shut off the output at night.
You can try Metricide 14 as an alternative to Excel (much more economical).
Regarding those LEDs you listed, I would try to find reviews on plant growth from different sources before considering those.

An alternative to yeast based DIY CO2 is the citric acid method. Those batches last a bit longer especially when you are able to shut off the output at night.

You can try Metricide 14 as an alternative to Excel (much more economical).

Regarding those LEDs you listed, I would try to find reviews on plant growth from different sources before considering those.

I looked into that a while back, Seemed like kind of a pain in the behind.

What do you think about the T5HO fixture i posted?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Odyssea appears to use HO bulbs based on the bulb length vs wattage. It should put you right in the middle of medium light. I grow many plants in that range. I do use pressurized CO2. If the light is too much you can always grow floating plants to create shading below.
Not sure if you can use a glass canopy with the fixture's mounting legs.

Back
Top Bottom