30gal Dream Betta Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all!

I'm building my dream Betta tank. I have a new-to-me 30 gallon tank. (See below)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462538913.879799.jpg

The filter media is already seeded so I will be able to add a Betta as soon as I get the tank ready. As you can see from the pic above, there are already some floating plants inside because I moved a couple of my long-tailed gold danios in to the tank to keep the media alive. The decorations are slimy from the tank's previous life and should have lots of BBs on them.

Headed to the fish store later for Eco-Complete and some basic plants.

Open to comments and advice as I go along!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Welcome :))

Make sure that you're absolutely sure you only want that one betta. Depending on the betta, it will most likely be hard to have other fish with it.

<g.m.t.a>

Welcome :))

Make sure that you're absolutely sure you only want that one betta. Depending on the betta, it will most likely be hard to have other fish with it.

<g.m.t.a>

Yes, I only want the one fish. I have two other tanks with a variety of fish and a mix of landscaping. With this tank I want to focus on one beautifully designed scene with one gorgeous fish.

And yes, that's good advice to only plan for the one fish!!

Had just enough time to swing by the aquarium store this morning. Got some EC, some plants, and Chester - my new Betta. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462548704.078316.jpg

I added a little more water from my tank to his cup, but he'll have to hang out a few hours before I can start setting up his new home.

His eyes are clear, he had no signs of fin rot or other diseases, and he's quite alert. I do believe I got a healthy one that was recently shipped! ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462636739.708904.jpg

Chester's in his new home.

I put a ton of filter floss in the top of the filter and hanging into the water. This seems to completely eliminate any current but still filters the water.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462637425.200088.jpg

I put some of the extra floating plants in to cut down on the light. Thought it would make him more comfortable. Temp. Is 78°.

I forgot to get a background.

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

View attachment 286660

Chester's in his new home.

I put a ton of filter floss in the top of the filter and hanging into the water. This seems to completely eliminate any current but still filters the water.
View attachment 286661

I put some of the extra floating plants in to cut down on the light. Thought it would make him more comfortable. Temp. Is 78°.

I forgot to get a background.

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

Very nice! I keep mine in a ten gallon and he loves the extra room.

Just throwing this out there... Water lettuce is good for big Betta tanks. Once it adapts to an aquarium (aka, almost dying and then when you think all is lost, it reproduces like crazy, but with smaller leaves and looks completely different,) it works perfectly for bettas.

b6f18f45233bd83b18ce039384002006.jpg

5373dd5c2a003dec2e89d805e76ef310.jpg

He loves the shade, the corridors that the roots make, breaks up the surface agitation from my filter, and still has gaps in between to breath. I keep only half of the tank filled also and he too has hi floating log where he sleeps and rests that also has an opening in the top to go up for air.

It looks much better than floating plants(normal plants left to float,) but that's just my personal preference [emoji16].

Back
Top Bottom