36 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannibal the Bichir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
So I've finally taken all of the plastic crap and deco from my 36 gallon bow. I'm trying to convert it into a planted tank. I added my Eco-complete and fluorite and took out most of the old gravel. It's still cloudy, but clearing up. It has some miscellaneous fish, mostly tetras. Anyways, lighting has been an issue. I'm trying to get a hold on par values and understanding them. I bought a t5 dual Lamp by Aqueon. I'm tempted to switch the color max bulb for another 6700k daylight bulb. On top of that, I have a t8 with a 6700k bulb. I don't know if that was needed, but like I said I'm still researching par values and wavelength etc. I'm going for a low-moderate lighted tank. Right now it has some java moss, crypts, a pretty much dead banana plant, and another unknown one. I was going to try DIY co2, but I've heard that a pressurized system would be the best way to go on hat size of tank. Any suggestions thanks, maybe some help on understanding the lighting. I know there's alot of sources for the lighting, so ill be checking those out. I have more plants, but their all micros.
Thank you

I have a similar tank, the 26g bow front. Only difference is length. I'm using the Finnex Ray 2 and pressurized co2. Works good and would do better than the Aqueon T5NO.

Are you still using the stock hood or did you buy a versa top?

Thanks Brian,
It's a versa top. The finnex ray 2 is nice, I have the finnex fugeray on my 2.5. However, the price is to much for me currently.

Well if you're planning on injecting co2, which is a splendid idea, you should go for something a little more stronger than the Aqueon t5no. I'm assuming you bought this fixture at Petsmart? If so, the return policy would be easy. The reason why I'd recommend returning it is because the bulbs are proprietary and you'll be limited in options down the road. Instead, you should get an Odyssea t5HO from Aquatraders. Get the planted tank version that comes with 2x daylight bulbs. At least down the road, you'll have plenty of replacement options for the bulbs. With the addition of co2 and a comprehensive fertilizer regimen, you'll be able to grow a lot!

You nailed it, yes it was petsmart :lol:. I'm going with the aqua traders deal. Thanks for your quick reply and great advice.

That's actually cheaper than what I spent today. With the four bulbs, that over excessive correct? That would lead to major algae.

So my idea thanks to sillyfishes is as follows. Will the 4x bulb t5HO with erratic DIY co2 and ferts, result in excessive algae? That was my fear.

I think the dual bulb fixture is more than adequate. Although, I'm not a lighting expert nor do I have t5ho fixtures. I'm currently using all LED.

I think you'll have to research PAR values vs. Distance to fully understand.

PAR values as follows:
Values between 10-30 are considered low light.
Values between 30-80 are considered medium light.
Values between 80-120 are considered high light.

Now cross reference the given PAR values to approx. 18" from light source to substrate (considering the 2 to 3" substrate depth), and 4x t5ho bulbs, according to the second chart, would be "too high" -- and equal an algae farm.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1038305#post1038305

I think the dual bulb fixture is more than adequate. Although, I'm not a lighting expert nor do I have t5ho fixtures. I'm currently using all LED.

I think you'll have to research PAR values vs. Distance to fully understand.

PAR values as follows:
Values between 10-30 are considered low light.
Values between 30-80 are considered medium light.
Values between 80-120 are considered high light.

Now cross reference the given PAR values to approx. 18" from light source to substrate (considering the 2 to 3" substrate depth), and 4x t5ho bulbs, according to the second chart, would be "too high" -- and equal an algae farm.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1038305#post1038305

But using the stock odyssea bulbs (that are most likely lower par) it might drop you down to just high light.

Thank you,
I was trying to understand those charts this morning. How do you determine the micro olds per square cm? Does the manufacturer tell you this? Anyways, yes it would be high light for 4 bulbs. However would a combo of two daylight and two moonlight suffice? The tank is 24in, and would be on top.

Well use the third chart in the link I provided. Even going off the "poor quality" reflectors graph, with 4x 30 PAR, you'll be at 120 if not more... this light range is not recommended for beginners because it involves a lot of tinkering with high amounts of co2, ferts, and fast growing plants to balancing things out IMO. Stay between moderate close to high to at least make it easier. Just my 2 cents.

Well use the third chart in the link I provided. Even going off the "poor quality" reflectors graph, with 4x 30 PAR, you'll be at 120 if not more... this light range is not recommended for beginners because it involves a lot of tinkering with high amounts of co2, ferts, and fast growing plants to balancing things out IMO. Stay between moderate close to high to at least make it easier. Just my 2 cents.

Ya I can agree with that. I'm trying to find a way to get to a low moderate lighting. The only way is 1 t5ho. The only 1 bulb fixture I found is the same price as a finnex ray 2.

I see how your interpreting that Brian. I'm assuming it has fair reflectors, with that the 100/2 would be 50 par. Right in the middle range of moderate light, give or take quality of reflectors. My 2.5 is moderate, and that would work for most plants I plan to get- rotelia,crypts,etc. I think I'll splurge however and get the moonlights.

I see how your interpreting that Brian. I'm assuming it has fair reflectors, with that the 100/2 would be 50 par. Right in the middle range of moderate light, give or take quality of reflectors. My 2.5 is moderate, and that would work for most plants I plan to get- rotelia,crypts,etc. I think I'll splurge however and get the moonlights.

Phishfriend made some DIY moonlights for cheap. Maybe you could PM him about some?

I feel stupid......I was looking at the 48 inch for $160. So the 24inch is in my price range. I tried finding readable par charts, but to no avail.

Ya I can agree with that. I'm trying to find a way to get to a low moderate lighting. The only way is 1 t5ho. The only 1 bulb fixture I found is the same price as a finnex ray 2.

Well you can do what a lot of other people do to accomplish that.. You can suspend the light and create more distance or perhaps the use of some window screen to reduce the lighting... I wish I knew if these Odyssea fixtures can still work with a bulb pulled out? That would be another option if it did.

Back
Top Bottom