37 gallon paludarium with sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slow to update because I have limited internet right now. So here goes. I drilled two holes, one for an overflow that will butt up against the false bottom to maintain water level, and one for the return that will power a waterfall.
38183-albums10189-picture46024.jpg

After that, I cut the PVC pipe and eggcrate to make all the shelving infrastructure and siliconed everything into place. The pipe sections are siliconed to the bottom, and to the eggcrate, which is in turn siliconed to the tank sides for maximum stability.
38183-albums10189-picture46025.jpg

I used silicone to secure several pieces of cork bark to the tank sides and eggcrate, plus one at an angle going down under the eventual water level. This should provide amphibious life an easy route out of the water. I used pond and waterfall expanding foam to make the basic structure for the waterfall, sprayed around a section of PVC pipe to create a channel for the water to flow up.
38183-albums10189-picture46026.jpg

Once the foam is fully cured (two days and it's still gooey in the middle), I will carve it and add rocks, sand, moss, etc. At this point, that's all I am really waiting on.

No new pics just yet, but here's the status. I got the waterfall partly carved and the bulkhead (return) hooked up to it. Something I had not anticipated, the sheer volume of foam meant that it did not cure properly in the middle. So when I removed the 3/4 PVC pipe I'd had holding a channel open for the waterfall, it filled back in!
I had to pound a pipe through with a mallet. Lol
Since the overflow and return lines will be rigid PVC, I can't do all the measuring until the stand is built. I have the wood, but my drill is missing. Might have to borrow one. Once the stand is built, I should be able to transfer all the sand, moss, plants, fish, etc and get this puppy rocking!

I'll have more pics soon. It's all set up and running. My overflow has posed some problems though. Design flaws, I'm sorry to say. It was very loud and was draining slower than the waterfall was pumping in, so I tilted it to the side, which at least controlled water level. But, two female endlers ended up in my filter sock. Whoops. Ultimately, reducing flow from the pump fixed it so I can keep the overflow where it needs to be so the fish don't get sucked in.
As funds become available, I'll do some cosmetic fine tuning but for the moment, I'd like some suggestions on tank inhabitants. Currently I have four endlers and some ghost shrimp. I'd like some slightly larger fish and at least one land inhabitant, but I need to avoid things that will eat my endlers. Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom