37Gal Medium/Low light plant lighting fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xCitrol

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Getting a 37gal tank (30x12x22) next week with a crap fixture and I plan to grow some medium to low light plants haven't decided on which ones will deffinetly be going in the tank but general idea for the plants I'm trying to keep are jungle Val, java moss/fern, amazon sword/frog bit, dwarf hair grass. Since this is my first planted tank I'm not to sure what kind of lighting would be best for these plants. If I'm following the 2-3 watts/gal rule for medium light plants would That mean i would need a 2 bulb 39w fixture? Kind of lost in the whole lighting aspect of things so any help or suggestions would be great :thanks:.

For low light I would suggest a 30 inch dual bulb t5. You can get one on amazon for 45 bucks. Then just replace the cruddy purple bulb with another 6700K bulb.

Would this be generally ok for medium light plants or would I need to get a stronger or 4 bulb fixture for that? And can anyone link me to a fixture they have had good success with in personal experience for these kinds of plants.

What plants are you wanting? That will help us alot.

Posted them in my first post but for ease of re-reading..

Jungle Val
Dwarf Baby tears
Java fern
Java moss
Amazon swords/frog bit
Dwarf hairgrass
Some type of Anubias

Not all going into the tank but I would want to test some of these overtime so sufficient lighting for them is needed. I'm aware that most of these are low light but in the future I might want to add some more medium light plants so would like a fixture that will support both :flowers: thanks for the replies godfan

Posted them in my first post but for ease of re-reading..

Jungle Val
Dwarf Baby tears
Java fern
Java moss
Amazon swords/frog bit
Dwarf hairgrass
Some type of Anubias

I'm aware that most of these are low light but in the future I might want to add some more medium light plants so would like a fixture that will support both :flowers: thanks for the replies godfan
Oops sorry lol
Unfortunatley these are not all low light. Dwarf baby tears and hairgrass are high light. As far as I know the others will be fine under that light . If you want medium light then get a 30 inch t5 ho. The jungle vals dont like sand if you dont use root tabs just FYI. I tried it and failed lol

Back
Top Bottom