Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

38 Gallon Planted Lighting Help

I recently acquired a 38 gallon aquarium. I plan on making it planted as well as adding a few fish and was wondering where I should go to look at LED lighting for the tank and what type of lights I should get. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmifland View Post
I recently acquired a 38 gallon aquarium. I plan on making it planted as well as adding a few fish and was wondering where I should go to look at LED lighting for the tank and what type of lights I should get. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Jmifland,

Just like purchasing anything, you always shop around. Google will be your friend in looking around for prices, ect.

A cheaper route would be using T-5s. LEDs are quite expensive right now, being new to the growing use of them.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

What would be the best light for a 38 gallon planted tank.

Coralife Aqualight High Output T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture 2X39W 36 inch Coralife T5 HO

Coralife Aqualight High Output FRESHWATER T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture 2X39W 36 inch Coralife T5 HO

Suggestions would be very helpful.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmifland View Post

It really depends what kind of set-up you want. Low-tech, medium-tech, or high-tech.

Low involves about a single wpg, watt per gallon, and uses low light plants like java moss, java fern, Anubis, ect. You don't need to use Co2 or fertilizers for this.

Medium is a step up, using around 2 wpg. At this point you could experiment with DIY Co2 and store bought fertilizers like Excel.

High tech gets a expensive, needing 3+ wpg. They are normally used with pressurized Co2, but not always. They use a number of different fertilizers to nail specific needs for specific plants.

I'd suggest starting with low, obviously. It's the cheapest and most easy option.

Tags
8 gallon, light, lighting, lighting help, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com