3mm-15mm Gravel with Laterite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowstars123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I have plants if I have give or take 3-15mm rainbow colored gravel mixed with 55 oz of laterite? I have a 55 Gallon aquarium with 4 T-5 HO lights with a Fluval 405 and Aquaclear 70. I really want a planted aquarium but so far I can't find any real recommendations for substrate, and I don't want to spend more money buying Flourite or new gravel. :(

If you don't mind the look, sure. If you want to go a cheaper route, something like turface, soilmaster select, or oil-dri are all good alternatives. I actually just planted my 125 using a mineralized topsoil/oil-dri substrate.

I think those lights are extremely overkill on a 55g, it will be more manageable with 2 bulbs (or possibly even 1 bulb).

jetajockey said:
If you don't mind the look, sure. If you want to go a cheaper route, something like turface, soilmaster select, or oil-dri are all good alternatives. I actually just planted my 125 using a mineralized topsoil/oil-dri substrate.

I think those lights are extremely overkill on a 55g, it will be more manageable with 2 bulbs (or possibly even 1 bulb).

I was actually worried about the grain size of my gravel, but it would be okay right? And my plan isn't actually to use all the bulbs, just one at a time. Would that be okay?

I was actually worried about the grain size of my gravel, but it would be okay right? And my plan isn't actually to use all the bulbs, just one at a time. Would that be okay?

Worried why? It's possible to plant in pebbles if really necessary, just not really ideal. I think you'd be fine as long as you like the look.

As far as the fixture goes, I don't know if it will let you run only one at a time, but if it does then that sounds like a good starting point.

jetajockey said:
Worried why? It's possible to plant in pebbles if really necessary, just not really ideal. I think you'd be fine as long as you like the look.

As far as the fixture goes, I don't know if it will let you run only one at a time, but if it does then that sounds like a good starting point.

I'm worried mainly because I figure since theres space between the gravel, the laterite might leech into the water column. Oh and for the T-5, It lets me control 2 bulbs at one time, so i'll just remove one from each side to switch back and forth between two bulbs now and then. And is co2 really necessary? Thanks for the quick replys btw.

laterite doesn't leech, it's a planted tank substrate material that can be used on its own if you really wanted to.

The reason for using things like fluorite, laterite, fired clay, is that it has high CEC Cation exchange capacity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
which holds nutrients for the plants to access.

Co2 isn't absolutely necessary, but that part is dictated by your lighting, higher light = higher needs for co2 and ferts.

jetajockey said:
laterite doesn't leech, it's a planted tank substrate material that can be used on its own if you really wanted to.

The reason for using things like fluorite, laterite, fired clay, is that it has high CEC Cation exchange capacity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
which holds nutrients for the plants to access.

Co2 isn't absolutely necessary, but that part is dictated by your lighting, higher light = higher needs for co2 and ferts.

Oh, so no worries about laterite. I was under the impression that more light is better, but apparently not, how many bulbs of T-5 10,000k's should i use? Also, should the laterite be mixed with the gravel or in layers? ( bottom layer laterite, top layer gravel?)

Can I have plants if I have give or take 3-15mm rainbow colored gravel mixed with 55 oz of laterite? I have a 55 Gallon aquarium with 4 T-5 HO lights with a Fluval 405 and Aquaclear 70. I really want a planted aquarium but so far I can't find any real recommendations for substrate, and I don't want to spend more money buying Flourite or new gravel. :(

I'd suggest you look into PFS (pool filter sand), it's clean, round grained, looks great and only $10 for 50lbs.

I use a 3 layer process of Peat moss (1" pre-soaked) on bottom, a layer of laterite, and cap it with 2" of PFS. Works great, no detritus buried in the gravel and it's easy to plant in. My vals are spreading so fast I'm gonna have to pull some out of my 8g Betta tank and they've only been in there for 3 weeks.

As for lighting, the higher the lights, the more co2, ferts needed. Go to plantgeek.net and look at low to med-low light plants if you want to stay away for the cost of co2 & ferts.

Mr. Limpet said:
I'd suggest you look into PFS (pool filter sand), it's clean, round grained, looks great and only $10 for 50lbs.

I use a 3 layer process of Peat moss (1" pre-soaked) on bottom, a layer of laterite, and cap it with 2" of PFS. Works great, no detritus buried in the gravel and it's easy to plant in. My vals are spreading so fast I'm gonna have to pull some out of my 8g Betta tank and they've only been in there for 3 weeks.

Would play sand be a suitable substituye for PFS? and how big of a layer of laterite? And what exactly does the peat moss actually do?

Would play sand be a suitable substituye for PFS? and how big of a layer of laterite? And what exactly does the peat moss actually do?

I've never used PGS, but I hear the grains are small, sharp and angular so there's a better chance of injuring fish that graze. PFS can be vacuumed and not be sucked up like many light weight products and I've never seen a sinlge grain in any of my tanks filters.

I use enough to cover the peat in a single layer, mainly because that stuff so expensive but it seems to work the way I do it. I prefer peat because it's a natural unprocessed nutrient rich "soil" for the plants to feed off and root to. Plus a huge bale of it is $8, instead of $30+ for a small bag of soil that has the word "aquarium" on it lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
I've never used PGS, but I hear the grains are small, sharp and angular so there's a better chance of injuring fish that graze. PFS can be vacuumed and not be sucked up like many light weight products and I've never seen a sinlge grain in any of my tanks filters.

I use enough to cover the peat in a single layer, mainly because that stuff so expensive but it seems to work the way I do it. I prefer peat because it's a natural unprocessed nutrient rich "soil" for the plants to feed off and root to. Plus a huge bale of it is $8, instead of $30+ for a small bag of soil that has the word "aquarium" on it lol.

Wow this is very informative. Can sand damage a canister filter? (Fluval 405) and where do you get PFS and peat moss? I've seen some at home improvement stores and plant stores. Is this the same kind of peat?

Wow this is very informative. Can sand damage a canister filter? (Fluval 405) and where do you get PFS and peat moss? I've seen some at home improvement stores and plant stores. Is this the same kind of peat?

Anything that can get to the impeller can damage it. I have this layered set up in a BW tank, hosting a Fluval 305 and when I swapped out the tannin laced poly-fil the other day I didn't see one grain of sand in the tub/media.

I get mine from Leslie's Pool Supply, ask for the non-silica based sand for best results. They have both, but silica can cause Diatoms. Quikrete PFS is also silica based from my research, so read the label carefully if you want to avoid silicas.

As long as it says "100% Sphagnum Peat Moss from Canada" then you're good IMO/E. Anything else and from my research, it's not true peat.

Mr. Limpet said:
Anything that can get to the impeller can damage it. I have this layered set up in a BW tank, hosting a Fluval 305 and when I swapped out the tannin laced poly-fil the other day I didn't see one grain of sand in the tub/media.

I get mine from Leslie's Pool Supply, ask for the non-silica based sand for best results. They have both, but silica can cause Diatoms. Quikrete PFS is also silica based from my research, so read the label carefully if you want to avoid silicas.

As long as it says "100% Sphagnum Peat Moss from Canada" then you're good IMO/E. Anything else and from my research, it's not true peat.

Sounds good. Will probably settle on pfs if not flourite. How do you clean pfs during a water change? And is it a pain to do?

Sounds good. Will probably settle on pfs if not flourite. How do you clean pfs during a water change? And is it a pain to do?

Just like I do my DT with gravel, I have a gravel vac and just move it across the surface. The difference is, the waste stays on top of the sand so I don't have to dig into it like I do gravel to clean it up. It's actually more efficient and quicker to clean than gravel IMO/E.

Mr. Limpet said:
Just like I do my DT with gravel, I have a gravel vac and just move it across the surface. The difference is, the waste stays on top of the sand so I don't have to dig into it like I do gravel to clean it up. It's actually more efficient and quicker to clean than gravel IMO/E.

Last questiob, well two. Are there any dark Pfs? And if i get silica pfs by accident, are diatoms hard to get rid of in a 55 gal fw?

Someone was getting a sand they liked that's black, but I can't remember who. It wasn't PFS, but it came highly recommended and I think they got it at HD.

Diatoms are a pain, but eventually they burn themselves out. I got an out break on a well seasoned (gravel based) tank, because I went from 17w to 55w (89w relative) and it took over 2 months for them to (almost) go away (still have a bit of it).

You should seriously consider doing a dirt aquarium. It's a lot cheaper than using fluorite and a ton of people have had great success with it (including me, I just set up my first ever aquarium about 2 months ago with dirt and my plants are doing great, I don't dose with any ferts or co2 literally ZERO, and all I'm using is the hood light that came with my kit). So pretty much what I'm saying is, dirt your aquarium!!! Haha just go to YouTube and search dustins fish tanks and you can also go to fishtanktv.com to find out more about it.

You should seriously consider doing a dirt aquarium. It's a lot cheaper than using fluorite and a ton of people have had great success with it (including me, I just set up my first ever aquarium about 2 months ago with dirt and my plants are doing great, I don't dose with any ferts or co2 literally ZERO, and all I'm using is the hood light that came with my kit). So pretty much what I'm saying is, dirt your aquarium!!! Haha just go to YouTube and search dustins fish tanks and you can also go to fishtanktv.com to find out more about it.

Well since my tank is a 55 gallon, I don't want a chemical imbalance to wreak havoc on my tank, but thanks for the suggestion.

Your loss! Haha jk ;). But At least go watch his videos maybe you'll change your mind ;)

using mineralized topsoil takes a lot of the risk out of using a soil substrate, as it helps minimize the amount of organics in the soil. Either way, both should be capped with something. They work great for planted tanks, but if you aren't planting I wouldn't bother.

As far as sand goes, check an industrial or pool supply place for 3m colorquartz . It's been discontinued but a lot of places still have it available or a replacement product available. It's a colored sand that has been ceramic coated so it is very smooth and durable. I believe it is used by contractors to create non slip surfaces around pool areas.

As far as I know there are only 2 kinds of pool filter sand, the silica type and diatomaceous earth type. The DE type would be fine if it's in rock form, but obviously not if it's a powder.

I wouldn't worry too much about diatoms, they happen to tanks with sand and those without, just pick whatever you like best and go with it. I do suggest going with something other than playsand though, it compacts too much and end up rinsing half of the bag away because it is silty.

Back
Top Bottom