40 gallon breeder tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CupcakeSmith

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a 40 gallon breeder tank a couple of years ago when petco was having their dollar gallon sell. So it's just the tank nothing else. I've been debating what to put in it for a long time. I got the idea to try for a heavy planted shrimp tank maybe with a few small fish tank mates if could get away with it.
1. Would this just be too big to think about doing it completely as a shrimp tank?
2. Would I be able to mix different types of shrimp or would I need to stick with one type?
3. Are there any small types of fish schools I could pair with the shrimp?
4. I'm a beginner at planted tanks but I really really want to try my hand at having an all natural tank. What type of light fixture would I need? What type of lighting would I need?
5. How do you go about landscaping for a natural tank? I'm not sure if this could be a simple answer or not. Lol

This tank is not in the process of becoming anything at the moment just trying to get a good plan together since I know planted tanks can easily start to become pretty pricey. I want to know what I am getting myself into first and what is the best options for me personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There's not really a 'too big' when it comes to a shrimp tank. If that's what you want to stock then go for it!

You can keep Caridina and Neocaridina in the same tank, they won't cross breed. Some basic information and charts about that can be found here and here.

There are fish small enough that can't eat adult shrimp. Three of my shrimp tanks have fish: pygmy spotted rasboras, dwarf amber barbs, mico rasboras. I don't think shrimplets are safe from any fish except otos. A well planted 40g would definitely give them places to hide though!

Wood is good for shrimp tanks, it's a place for biofilm to grow that the shrimp eat. I've found that shrimp also appreciate floating plants.

If you really want to go all natural look up Walstad method. It involves a tank with a dirt bottom usually capped by sand and not usually filtered. I tried it once and failed but thay doesn't mean you wouldn't like it and succeed.
Ps. TheresaM knows her shrimp! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you everyone for your advice. Went to check on my tank which was stored out in our red barn and it's has cracks in the glass so I won't be using it for any fish. :((

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom