40 Gallon Planted Aquarium Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, this weekend I went through my existing supplies to see what I already had on hand and what I could get rid of in an upcoming auction. I discovered that I have a Aquaclear 200 Filter on hand and the Powerhead is only recommended for upto a 30 gallon aquarium. Based on this I've decided to run both. The Powerhead will be on one side for CO2 diffusion and the Aquaclear on the other side for additional water movement. Since both can be dialed down on the amount of water movement, I should be able to fine tune the water flow quite nicely.

I plan to start ordering what I need later today. Woot!

Well, this weekend I went through my existing supplies to see what I already had on hand and what I could get rid of in an upcoming auction. I discovered that I have a Aquaclear 200 Filter on hand and the Powerhead is only recommended for upto a 30 gallon aquarium. Based on this I've decided to run both. The Powerhead will be on one side for CO2 diffusion and the Aquaclear on the other side for additional water movement. Since both can be dialed down on the amount of water movement, I should be able to fine tune the water flow quite nicely.

I plan to start ordering what I need later today. Woot!

Nice! If you order your tank/ stand by noon tomorrow it will be on the Wednesday truck. :whip: Let me know as I am free anytime to go pick it up. I will even be nice and take it and set it up at my place till your ready for it. ;)

Okay. All the hardware is ordered, with the exception of a few small CO2 parts to upgrade my regulator (plug unneeded ports in manifold & better needle valve). I'm really starting to get excited.

Okay. All the hardware is ordered, with the exception of a few small CO2 parts to upgrade my regulator (plug unneeded ports in manifold & better needle valve). I'm really starting to get excited.

I love how your started to get excited and I am jumping out of my seat. I think I get overly excited when people get new toys.. is that odd. Anyway cant wait to see this! :multi:

What needle valve are you getting?

I ordered the Fabco Needle Valve. It's supposed to give quite a bit better control over the flow than the Clippard Needle Valves that I currently have. It's only a couple dollars more than adding a Clippard Low Pressure Regulator and was what Rex recommended.

The Fabco is nice. I've got a pair of custom NV-55s on my regulator. Bigger body and threaded section, then the typical NV-55s. Going to run yours inline or mounted to the regulator? I know most recommend inline with the Fabco due to the small threads.

Craig

I'll be running it inline. That way I can place it where it's a little easier to get at and adjust the bubble rate without having to climb under the aquarium.

Two large long boxes and one small yet extremely heavy box arrived on my doorstep just a little bit ago. FedEx dropped off my Drs Foster & Smith order. The light fixture was in one of the large long boxes with LOTS of packing peanuts. If I have to buy more anytime soon for shipping plants I'll be extremely shocked. The other large long box contain a pair of spare bulbs and the two heaters. The final box had the 2 bags of sand. Now I just have to wait impatiently until Saturday when I can go down to Coralville Bay to pick up my Aquarium and Stand.

Two large long boxes and one small yet extremely heavy box arrived on my doorstep just a little bit ago. FedEx dropped off my Drs Foster & Smith order. The light fixture was in one of the large long boxes with LOTS of packing peanuts. If I have to buy more anytime soon for shipping plants I'll be extremely shocked. The other large long box contain a pair of spare bulbs and the two heaters. The final box had the 2 bags of sand. Now I just have to wait impatiently until Saturday when I can go down to Coralville Bay to pick up my Aquarium and Stand.

:tongue: Nothing like Christmas in March! :x-mas: I love Drs Foster and Smith shipping is so cheap and it arrives so fast, also great customer service! :D

Well I now have almost everything that I need for this setup. I'm still waiting on the CO2 parts (which can be setup last) and the glass canopy that got put with my aquarium was the wrong size, so I'll need to swap it out next weekend.

My plan is to get my basement sink replaced with a utility sink this week which will allow me to hook up the python for water changes and the initial fill. I think that I'm also going to see about painting the back of the aquarium, instead of messing around with other backgrounds that never seem to work as nicely long term.

Well I now have almost everything that I need for this setup. I'm still waiting on the CO2 parts (which can be setup last) and the glass canopy that got put with my aquarium was the wrong size, so I'll need to swap it out next weekend.

My plan is to get my basement sink replaced with a utility sink this week which will allow me to hook up the python for water changes and the initial fill. I think that I'm also going to see about painting the back of the aquarium, instead of messing around with other backgrounds that never seem to work as nicely long term.

:p Menards usually runs a good sale on those utility sinks. They work great and are easy to install.

Oh yeah there is an Anubias Marbled in my holding tank when you get the new tank setup LMK and its yours.

img_1088830_0_f952c48d4f2a960e033c6417c5026212.jpg

C

Oooooo... it's gorgeous! That will go very nicely with the rest of the plants.

Sounds cool. I'm new on this site, and am really loving hearing about what others have, following their progress and seeing photos. I want to do a log about my 2 aquariums (both just redone). Good luck with yours -- I agree about the black substrate.

The Utility Sink is installed and the Glass Canopy was swapped for the correct size. I've picked up the paint and supplies so that I can paint the back of the aquarium which I'll hopefully get done later this week.

Nice to hear! Going to have water in and ready by the show? You could debut your setup there.

Craig

Not a chance! I was thinking about entering some plants, but I've decided against even doing that (although I may change my mind). I've got enough things going on this weekend without having to worry about setting up and tearing down for the show.

Not a chance! I was thinking about entering some plants, but I've decided against even doing that (although I may change my mind). I've got enough things going on this weekend without having to worry about setting up and tearing down for the show.

:rolleyes: Awe.... I'm just preparing for a long week as I'm going in Thursday night to help set stand, probably be around to help Friday and will be there most of the weekend. Nothing like a shotgun weekend. :eek:

I've got some nice Cherry Shrimp coming in tomorrow I'll have to save you a few to give you some new genetic stock.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom