40g Planted Apistogramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannibal the Bichir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
I've posted such a disorganized thread about a month ago on this forum. Today I wanted to organize it and hopefully provide instructions if anyone ever wanted to follow it. My tank is a 40g breeder from Petco's $1 per gallon sale. I always had fish tanks, but since a few years ago I stopped. I initially got this tank for shrimp and after a month of not knowing what I was doing, I got it all together and set my goal. This tank was inspired by Tom's Poco Pozo tank off of the Uk Aquatic Plant society. I hope you all enjoy this build and I hope I stay organized and precise with the details. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Equipment:
Currently I have:
Marineland C-220 canister filter
27L of ADA Amazonia Aquasoil
Dynamite Root Tab from aclark
Custom re-done stand
API Freshwater Master Test Kit
20lbs of Seiryu Stone
4pieces of Spider Wood

What I will purchase soon:
17mm Glass Lily Outflow and Inflow pipes
GLA Atomic Inline Diffuser
Hydor Inline Heater
GLA Fert Package
Aquatek Regulator
5lb CO2 Tank
CO2 Tubing
GLA drop checker
2x Finnex 24/7 36in Leds or the Finnex Planted Plus 2 if it comes out in time

Flora:
Anubias barteri coffeefolia
Anubias barteri broad leaf
Anubis afzelli
Rotala Wallachi
Dwarf baby tears
Staurogyne Repens
Monte carlo
Blyxa Japonica
Ammania bonsai
Red Tiger Lotus
Pogostemon Helferi
Crypt Parva
Alternanthera Reineckii *depended upon my PH level
Rotala marcanda
Limnophilia aromatica
Fissidens fontanus
Pogostemon erectus
Potamogeton gayi

*deciding on maybe an emerged plant such as mondo grass

Fauna:
Crystal Red Shrimp x10
Rummy Nose Tetras x7
Otos x3
Farlowella Twig Pair
Pencil fish 5x exact species not yet decided and dependent on who offers them
Checkerboard cichlid Pair
Trio of atahualpa or hoignei
Trio of sp. Steel Blue
Trio of cactuoides

My initial scape was to have the roots of the spider wood cascade down through the seiryu stone. The front of the tank will have a lawn of DBT. I had an old piece of driftwood, but the spider wood creates the caves that the apistos will need to spawn. My ph might need to be lowered, I don't know what the aqua soil will initially do to the ph from my tap. I might need to get a small RO unit from Dr. Smith and Fosters. Any thoughts on the scape? Should I stick with 2 planted plus or 24/7s to be at a strong level of medium light? Thank you!

Thanks so much TT!! Your tank looks incredible as well. For the lights I don't know about doing 2 of the planted plus 24/7s at 125$ each or waiting for the release of the new planted plus finned lights that were supposed to be released already.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looking at the finnex planted + 24/7 vs the finnex fugeray planted + with moonlights. Any opinions on either of them if I'm trying to get medium par at around 40? Will I need to do dual fixtures? Happy holidays everyone!

Stocking ain't going to fly sir.. pick a trio of apistos and stick with it. I'd suggest steel blue or cacs. The crs will get chomped indefinately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was worried about the shrimp, I might try with a few red cherry shrimp and see how well they can hide. As far as the trios, won't two suffice? I was a little worried about three, but can't they both have defined territories?

I was thinking steel blue with cacatuoides as the two trios.

You could try it.. i keep a trio of cacs and bolivian rams in a 40b. They squabble here and there but no major aggression.. guess it would qualify as micro aggressions?? Lots of structure and plants. Many caves, they're cave spawners so you'll want a couple options for each female I'd think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm interested to see how multiple trios work???:popcorn:

The shrimp are toast IMO?:ermm:
"Shrimp Toast!":facepalm:
They will make an excellent addition to the pistos diet IMO though...:whistle:

Really like the tank so far!(y)

I'm interested to see how multiple trios work???:popcorn:

The shrimp are toast IMO?:ermm:
"Shrimp Toast!":facepalm:
They will make an excellent addition to the pistos diet IMO though...:whistle:

Really like the tank so far!(y)

Yeah toast in deed...

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your tank looks awesome so far. I can't wait to see it with flora and fauna

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wanted to bring everyone an update-
?after a large sum of money spent....I've received the following items:

17mm glass lily pipes
Pps-pro fert kit with glass jars
500ml excel
Hydor inline heater
GLA inline atomic diffuser
GLA co2 tubing
GLA Aqua pearl drop checker and reference solution
Aquatek co2 regulator

I got to do a little saving before I can purchase the 5lb tank and 2x finnex planted plus 24/7"s. Stay tuned and I'll show the setup once they've been received!

I have all the supplies but the co2 tank:)!!!!!!! Regulator, GLA frets, GLA inline diffuser, hydor heater inline , lily pipes, GLA drop checker, 2x finnex planted plus 36in it's happening!!!! But I'm broke....so no plants

I think the pictures don't it it justice, it has a lot more depth with the roots coming down over the rocks.:( I don't know how I'm going to sink the wood though, I'm really worried about that

Back
Top Bottom