46G Bowfront.....NEW PICS! (updated 11/11/06)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So nice....the black sand and black background give it a soothing Zen look. I really like it. I was looking at a 46 bow at Petco a few days ago and thinking how nice your tank looked!

It's been a while since I've done an update...

I've gotten so many plants from so many member here that I didn't know what to do with them all. I just got around to putting everything "in the ground" earlier this week. I was also able to set up my pressured system, minus the DIY diffuser (still using a glass bell-type one for the moment). It's still a "work in progress". That sounds a lot better than saying I just threw that stuff in there wherever it fit!", but is pretty much what I did. My wife normally 'scapes the tank, but since she wasn't feeling well, I ended up doing it. I think I'll be leaving the next round of 'scaping for her....she's much better at it than I am!

I also have some new additions.... some Gold Rams, even though I vowed to never buy store-bought rams anymore. These guys were too cute to resist....plus there was no way I was telling the wifey "no", especially when she insists.

img_727676_0_63f32341cc658e3f6be93907983fabb6.jpg

img_727676_1_508909ad179b669e3aa6a714f771c476.jpg

img_727676_2_728cf935ff11bf17d4902592c872ef2b.jpg

img_727676_3_5134fed20e5aa58c892761b0b3599c1b.jpg

img_727676_4_147ccddb73cce278b809d8cb1c9c16a7.jpg

img_727676_5_b2e15e3af8f2345ac08b157d0397fead.jpg

img_727676_6_140e05f3e6d003eb003aac21fd6f88bb.jpg

img_727676_7_b1d879b292b896ece3e635701763b8d1.jpg

very nice looking tank. I have to work on that very clean look.

I wish my wife would insist I purchase stuff for 'our' tank. LOL

PS. Why doesn't AA have a FW planted calendar? now that is something I would definitely purchase. (Not that I wouldn't purchase the other ones)

No, THIS is a jungle!

This is what happens when you don't do any trimming for a week.....actually it's been 9 days since the previous pics were taken. The sunset hygro has grown up the back of the tank, across to the front, and has now turned downward. I've never seen anything grow so fast. I think Tom Barr's (aka Plantbrain) EI methos of dosing is starting to pay off. I am still seeing some BBA so I cranked the CO2 up to 37ppm.

img_730887_0_427c55da75dab43b8bcc69ae8d75d8b7.jpg

Needless to say, we'll be doing some trimming and replanting tomorrow. The clippings from this tank will go into the 29G tank that's in the bedroom. That will be the next tank to get redone. Expect to see that thread in a theater near you sometime in the near future. I also need to add some more plants to my office 7G Minibow tank.

First off, NICE growth.

Secondly, I want to warn you about flow. When my bio mass started to take off like that, my tank flow dropped dramatically and I ended up with BBA on everything just like your are seeing now. I had to purchase a PH to suppliment my filter flow.

HTH

Thanks for the tip. If you look at the left side of the tank (top middle) you will see a AC30 PH. I also have 2 filters.....a Rena XP2 and Penguin 350, so my flow is pretty decent. I'm going to remove the penguin and throw another canister (Eheim 2215) on this tank sometime in the next week. I don't trust the biowheel and what it could possbly be doing to my CO2 levels. Plus my Mbuna tank could use a HOB for some additional mechanical filtration.

maxwell1295 said:
Thanks for the tip. If you look at the left side of the tank (top middle) you will see a AC30 PH. I also have 2 filters.....a Rena XP2 and Penguin 350, so my flow is pretty decent. I'm going to remove the penguin and throw another canister (Eheim 2215) on this tank sometime in the next week. I don't trust the biowheel and what it could possbly be doing to my CO2 levels. Plus my Mbuna tank could use a HOB for some additional mechanical filtration.

I just wanted to let you know. I see you increased your CO2, but if your flow isn't enough to get the CO2 to your problem areas, then increasing your CO2 isn't going to help. been there done that. but, I would think that would be plenty of flow now that you mentioned what your setup is. :oops: I would ditch the HOB aswell.

Okay, now I understand. I thought you were referring to flow in generla, not as it pertains to CO2 circulation. That makes a lot o sense. Once I redo my filter configuration, I will be able to set up my inline diffuser. That should diffuse and disperse the CO2 a lot better than the glass bell type diffuser I'm using right now.

Since we're getting tired of looking at the tank in it's present state, I figured I'd post one last shot before we break it down and rearrange things. I think it's time for a change. As soon as we figure out what's going in here, we'll start replanting some stuff. Most of what's in here now is coming out.....especially the hygro, which grows like a weed.

img_787661_0_d9462adf1bfab0d0c134d91e85e40418.jpg

Uhhhhh....say what??

My wife just ripped ALL of the Hygro out of the tank. I think the only plants left are some huge Anubias, some Pennywort, Dwarf Sag, and one Barclaya longifolia bulb that has sprouted some really nice red leaves. Other than that, it's just he driftwood and the fish. Looks pretty bare right now, but she ordered some new plants that should be arriving either today or tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom