48" Lighting Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mopedman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to choose a light for my 48" 55G. Could someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a T5, T8, and Power Compact setup? I want to have no more than 10 plants in my tank. Thanks

T5 and Power Compacts are roughly equivalent as far as power consumption vs light output, but are more expensive in terms of fixtures and bulbs. T8 are a bit less efficient but the fixtures and bulbs are less expensive. I'd recommend figuring out how much light you want over the aquarium, and then buying the fixture that gets you closest to your goals at the best price.

Any particular reason for the limit on plants? If you're going lightly planted, I wouldn't go more than about 1-1.5 WPG just to help avoid algae issues.

I assume you're wanting to go with a lower light setup? You said 10 plants, but what kind of plants? Lighting will determine what kinds of plants you can keep, how many is really not specific to the lighting you'd want to use.

I am not sure of all that. I want to get out of my cichlids and get plants and substrate and some plant friendly fish. Just don't know what kind of lighting system to get.

What type of end result do you want? Are there particular plants that you want to be able to grow? Do you have a certain level of maintenance that you would want to stick to or avoid? We'll need to know more about your goals to give recommendations, as there are many ways to sucessfully have a planted aquarium.

As I don't know much about plants yet I want to have beginner plants and maybe some mosses for ground cover. Once you have a planted tank can you still vacuum out the gravel? Is there anythings I should know before I start a planted tank? Thanks

In planted aquariums you can limit gravel vaccing to the unplanted areas and under decor. The remaining mulm will provide nutrients for the plants.

Check out the Read this First Sticky. It's got lots of great links to threads and articles on keeping planted aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom