5.5 gal Betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agwats

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a cycled 5.5 I've been using as a grow out for assassin snails and I decided I want to turn it into a planted betta tank but I haven't had anything smaller than a 20 since I was a little kid. I was thinking of using Eco complete capped with sand as my substrate and the hood is a screw-in type so I figured a 6500k CFL would work or a coralife 50/50 but Idk which would be better or what kind of wattage I should use. Also not sure on what plants to use for a tank this size. Any help from anyone with experience with small planted tanks would be very helpful and thanks in advance

Plants I use in 6g tanks are Dwarf Sag, Ambulia, Anubia, Bolbitus, Java Fern Wendilov, Crypt Parva, and Dwarf Baby Tears if your light is strong enough.

I really like the dwarf babytears but Idk what lighting I should use. I was thinking a 10 watt coral life 50/50 or a 10 or 15 watt CFL. Or should I go with 20 watt?

I'm terrible with lights on small tanks so maybe you should start a new thread asking. But almost all carpet plants need high, CO2 or liquid carbon, and ferts for good growth.

HC is going to need a lot of care other than just light. It may be worth a shot with Excell if you won't have co2. My 5.5 planted betta tank has straight Eco Complete for the substrate with root tabs. I'd start with a 6500K 10 watt CFL. You can bump it up to about 15W if you are having trouble but it's such a shallow tank. I use a 16" Finnex FugeRay and it's pretty nice but isn't as flexible as a CFL setup.

There's really not reason not to use a DIY co2 setup in a tank that size. That's really the trick to getting HC to grow.

Cool. I just looked up the diy co2 and it seems really easy so im leaning that way. One more question, would you go with the corallife 50/50 or 6500k CFL?

Back
Top Bottom