5.5 planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

franci19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I set up at 5.5 planted tank first time doing one , got everything set up but I don't know how long should I be leaving the co2 on for or how much I need to use of it pl

Most recommend an hour or so just prior to your photo period. A drop checker will give you an ESTIMATE of your ppm based on how you mixed your solution. 30ppm is common but in no way is that etched in stone. I run at 20ppm.

Like champ said, you really need a drop checker and ideally a bubble counter to measure how much CO2 is being added to your tank and how much is actually being dissolved into the water. Too much CO2 can drop your pH and be dangerous for fish and invertebrates. You don't want CO2 running at night when the plants aren't using it. I have mine on a timer to come on 2 hrs before my lights turn on, and off 2 hrs before my lights go off. That way it gives time for the CO2 to absorb into the water so your plants are immediately able to use it for photosynthesis when the lights come on, and then those 2 hours at the end of the photoperiod enable you to conserve co2 while it's still in the water for the plants to use before it dissipates. If you're short on timers though, just putting it the same schedule as the light will suffice.

Like champ said, you really need a drop checker and ideally a bubble counter to measure how much CO2 is being added to your tank and how much is actually being dissolved into the water. Too much CO2 can drop your pH and be dangerous for fish and invertebrates. You don't want CO2 running at night when the plants aren't using it. I have mine on a timer to come on 2 hrs before my lights turn on, and off 2 hrs before my lights go off. That way it gives time for the CO2 to absorb into the water so your plants are immediately able to use it for photosynthesis when the lights come on, and then those 2 hours at the end of the photoperiod enable you to conserve co2 while it's still in the water for the plants to use before it dissipates. If you're short on timers though, just putting it the same schedule as the light will suffice.

Thank you and do you know where I could a bubble counter

Really nice tank. They are all fairly similar imo. Look at the fluval or isa they are pretty popular. Just poke around. Youll see a style you like. Some are glass some are plastic.

IMG_1022.jpg
That's the co2 I'm using for it what else will I have to add to make it work the right way

20161204_113524_001.jpg

You can see my drop checker in upper right. Forgot the brand.

Tubing and if you want a bubble counter. Plus drop checker and you should be good. A check valve is also a good idea. I have a mini system and mine wouldn't work with a check valve.

Hey franci, something I just noticed. You should put your diffuser as low as possible in your tank. Like right on the substrate. Reason is that you want the bubbles to have as much contact time with the water as possible before they get to the surface.

Back
Top Bottom