5.5G Low Tech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello AA!

This week I started my 5.5 gallon low tech tank:

Tank: 16x8x10 inches
Light: 13 watt 6700k CFL mounted in a desk lamp around 15 inches above the substrate (this might be changed to a 9 watt if I get algae)
Fertilizer: EI of sorts--I have the dry chemicals laying around so that's the best option, but I realize that a low tech tank doesn't really need much so the dosing will be modified as such. Along with that I dose 1 ml of straight metricide daily.
Substrate: Regular old play sand--$4 for 50 pounds. Also, osmocote root tabs.
Hardscape: Mopani wood from petsmart.
Filter: Marina Slim S10, with various plants shoved into it in hopes that they might grow.

Fauna: None, at the moment, and I'm not sure what will go in later. Some RCS almost certainly, and maybe an amano if they don't do a good job cleaning. As for fish, I've been considering neon tetras but decided they needed a larger tank. Boraras brigittae and Hyphesobrycon amandae are also both in the mix. Or just a nice betta.

Flora:
- Cryptocoryne wendtii "green"
- POTENTIALLY Cryptocoryne wendtii "green gecko" (not sure, need an ID)
- Cryptocoryne becketii "petchii"
- Cryptocoryne willisii
- Anubias barteri var. nana
- Anubias barteri var. nana "petite"
- Peacock moss
- Ludwigia of some sort, potentially sp. red, rubin, senegalensis, or ovalis.
- Lindernia heteromorpha "variegated"
- Elatine triandra
- Hydrocotyle "japan"

And plants that are in there now that will be moved to another tank:
- Hygrophila polysperma "sunset"
- Hemianthus micranthemoides
- Rotala rotundifolia
- Dwarf water lettuce

I ordered the hygrophila, forgetting how large its leaves are. If its new growth is as large as I expect, it'll go in another tank. If the leaves are small, then it will stay.

Anyways, time for pictures I suppose. The water is very murky with tannins from the mopani, even though I boiled it and soaked it. I may run activated carbon to get rid of them.

FTS:

Side angle:

Right side, with ET, Hydrocotyle "japan," moss, anubias, crypt willisii, and a bit of ludwigia red just 'cause:

Anubias jungle!:

Top view of the right side, with potentially green gecko on the right, petchii on the left, and lindernia rotundifolia "variegated" in between:

Floating plants (ET, HM, Rotala rotundifolia, dwarf water lettuce, and some hydrocotyle japan featuring the hair clip that I use to plants stems, holding them in place):

Plants in the HOB (these were all grown submersed, so they might die. I spray them often, but I'm not too concerned about them. They were extras, so if they die I'm not too worried):

Now one question. Can I do the following to get rid of tannins?:
- Dose ferts at 8 AM
- Hang activated carbon in front of the filter output at 3 PM
- Remove the activated carbon at 8 AM, and dose again

I've heard AC takes fertilizer out of the water, but it also removes tannins. Would doing what I described above remove tannins without removing fertilizer?

Questions, comments, and constructive criticism appreciated!

What a difference one day of activated carbon can make!:

Those are both side views that show the crypts starting to melt, as expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom