5 gal? Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hapgaz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, this is my first thread, but also my first tank build in a while. I used to have a 55gal, 29 gal, 10gal, and 2.5gal, but after several moves those tanks are all being unused and are dry in a garage. Now I am married and have little space for a tank.

I work in an offic enow and just acquired what I believe ia a nice half hex tank. I don't know how many gallons it is, but a similar one is listed as having 5 gallons. I personally think it is a little bigger than that and is probably closer to 6 or 6.5, but I don't know for sure.

Here is a pic next to a 52oz. cup for reference:

attachment.php

Okay, the tank is missing a few things, like the light and heater. I was hoping to go with the following:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Will these work well?

I know, the question is what would I be putting in this to really answer if the lighting will work or not. The answer is that I don't know. I would like some fish and a lot to be going on, but I am also realistic. I am not against an invert tank, but I am having a difficult time finding good pics of current small invert tanks to convince me.

The tank will be at my office so I am trying to have it be silent as can be so I was leaning towards the following filter:

attachment.php

I know this would be overkill, but I figure over filtration is better than not enough.

Please advise me on what I could put in this tank, and please post pics if you currently have a tank around a 5 gallon so I can get some ideas.

I wanted to try and have a 3-D backgraound and maybe some black substrate.

I want to get rolling on this and post my pics of progress.

Any ideas, recommendations, or tire-kicking, let me have it!

:D:ROFLMAO::popcorn::thanks:

Attachments

• IMAG0757.jpg
    IMAG0757.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 386
  • IMAG0753.jpg
    IMAG0753.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 341
  • IMAG0754.jpg
    IMAG0754.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 342
  • IMAG0755.jpg
    IMAG0755.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 327
If you want some inspiration, here were two VERY gorgeous shrimp tanks that one of our mods had until he moved-

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - fort384's Album: 5 gal FW Planted Shrimp Habitat
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - fort384's Album: 5 Gal ADA Cube Garden #2

I think that you need to decide what you want to do with the tank before you purchase a light. If you want to do a planted tank, that light you linked isn't going to cut it. For about the same price (IIRC), you can get a fantastic light for plants... but you wouldn't want it if you weren't planting, as it would be a good way to have algae problems. Realistically, knowing your plan before purchasing any further equipment is probably the best route, so you can cater to your needs.

Great pics? Do you know if he had any trouble with shrimp jumping ship with the fully open tops?

I think I would prefer to not go planted, just because I have limited experience with aquatic plants. Any thoughts on fish? What about shrimp but without plants? What are some recommendations if I did decide to go planted? I really want to weigh my options for the best possibilities so I can really get the best bang for my buck. :)

I'm kind of biased towards planted tanks, when talking FW. Realistically, they're no different than a non-planted tank, unless you get high tech, which I wouldn't suggest for a beginner in the hobby. A low-medium light planted tank with a school of nano fish (chili rasboras are my favorite), and some RCS (I wouldn't suggest CRS for a beginner either) would make a great first tank IMO.

To be honest, I'm not sure if he had any issues, but I'll PM him and see if he can chime in on that.

What lighting would you recommend if I go planted? What plants might you suggest?

I would think that this one would work just dandy for a low/medium light tank. Plants that I think would look good are blyxa japonica, dwarf sag, hairgrass, anubias, and rotala rotundifolia... but the cool thing about plants is that everyone has different opinions, and you can pretty much go with any look you want as long as the lighting will sustain them.

I think i like the christmas moss and the hairgrass. Will this combo work? Will they take over the aquarium?

Also, I want a 3-D background if possible. Does anyone know of a god place to get them for this small type of unique shaped tank? OR, is there a way to get the moss to grow on the back of the tank only like a moss wall? Or would this look weird?

How do you think this would all look with black sand substrate and a piece of driftwood?

And what do I need to do about CO2?

Thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations?

well, here's what I think.
For black sand, I vote yes. I have a few tanks, with both white and black sands (some have a mix, which is also, really cool btw)
the white sand tends to get a hue to it after awhile, but you also can more easily tell when its dirty and needs to be surface swept. White can also help pull some colors out in the fish, and make the tank seem a bit larger. Another benifit of sand is it is much easier to clean, and is a good substrate (i think) for some plants, like hairgrass.
Black sand can also make your tank seem smaller, but it really makes the greens in my plants "pop", and blues and reds also look great on my betta.

For the moss wall, yes! What you need is a plastic mesh screen that fits the back of the tank wall (or whatever wall you want mossed)
stick some here and there (super is ok i think too) and before you know it, it will fill in nicley, and look great.
Keep in mind, plants are living too and need maintinence, just not as often as your fishies. Moss and hairgrass could over grow your tank if you dont keep them trimmed (i personally think super moss explosions look neat, and my bettas LOVE it)

All you need to do is trim them back when their too long,hi-tech lighting and c02 will make them grow much faster, so keep that in mind.

their are some topis on here about c02. You can make a DIY system yourself, save cash, and keep it clean, or spend some cash, and save alot of hassle (I run DIY)
Youd be better off not doing c02 after the wall fills in, if you can get by without, because it will make moss grow like a ***** haha

What has been decided about stock? may have missed that one
if its planted, a betta would work (male or female) or you could do a shrimp tank. an amano to cover your soon to be algae growth with the addition of your lighting. You could even have some micro shrimp like cherries, or bumble bee shrimp or something, although a few amanos, and even some ghost shrimp wold work. (dont spend too much on shrimp until its cycled, although with just shrimp, that shouldnt be much issue)
do you have an API freshwater master test kit, there nice :)
lighting, some sort of t5 should be more than substantial, since its only a 5, and not that deep

..i think that covers it, sorry for the huge reply

Okay, I am up and running now. I may have jumped the gun, but I'm sure I am not the only one on here that has done that :)

Below are my pics, sorry about the quality, they are phone pics. I have a couple fish in there, and the plants are as follows; Java Moss, Water Sprite, Dwarf Hairgrass, and a floating plant (I don't remember the name, but my lfs said it grows quick and looks similar to lilly pads).

The center piece is a piece of driftwood, and the substrate is black sand with a few scattered pieces of gravel for color.

What is everyones likes, dislikes, recommendations, rants, etc.?

I would like to add several shrimp, but I do have a betta in the tank currently. What shrimp should I go with? I was hoping for something colorful since I have the black sand, but my lfs told me the betta will eat cherry shrimp!!! Any recommendations on shrimp type and quantity?

The current stock is a Crowntail Betta, a Dwarf Cory, and a Bloodfin Tetra. I don't want more Tetra, but he is the only survivor in my previous school and I figured being in this tank alone was better than meeting his demise ;)

Let me know what you guys/gals think!

img_1779208_0_1f549cd80d727c1c066fc95eab46a8f7.jpg
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/atta...779208_0_1f549cd80d727c1c066fc95eab46a8f7.jpg
http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p593/hapgaz/IMAG0765.jpg

also, if I add ghost shrimp, how many can I add per gallon?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would reeeaaaallllyyyy like to build a moss wall, but I am having a hard time finding some good posts with images about moss walls.

Java Moss is the only thing in my area that I can get without special ordering something, but I understand Java Moss grows kind of slowly and I can't find any pics of established Java Moss walls on the web.

I can find tutorials on mesh walls with Moss, but that to my understanding takes possibly a few months to really get going. Does anyone have any recommendations or pics of their Moss Walls with a "How to"?

Thanks!

is anyone out there hahaha

I need some input :D I posted a free giveaway for my Betta on CL and got a large response, but I need to know if I really need to get rid of my little buddy or not :(

Yea, moss is slow growing, so anything it's going to do is going to take forever. If you want a moss wall, I would actually recommend against Java Moss. It grows a bit scraggly in my opinion. Maybe look at Christmas or flame moss as an alternative?

Why would you need to give the betta away? Because you're looking at getting Cherry shrimp? My betta's been with cherry shrimp for months--they move to fast for him even if he were to go after them. Ghost shrimp--mine seem to have settled into about 6 in a ten gallon (from ten). Fish weren't interested, so I'm guessing it's a territory fight amongst the shrimp. (Betta leaves them alone too).

If you add another three or four dwarf corys, that'd be a pretty nice tank. Just keep up with water changes. :)

I probably wouldn't add any more cories. It would probably make things a bit too cramped.

Bettas have a spectrum of 'tudes. Some will seek out and destroy every single thing in his tank. Some just don't care at all.

you could get, say, 2 or so of a few different types of shrimps and see what gets killed and what lives....brutal..
yeah even if your betta is fine for months, one day he could go ape**** on all your shrimp and thats no good. If you reaaly want shrimp, perhaps a shrimp only breeding tank, you could probobl set a deal with your lfs about selling some extra shrimp off if they really start breeding well, too.
As for the betta, one of my favorite freshwater fish, with a huge range of personalities, vibrant color patterns, and very minimal care (water changes, fine with nearly ANY food. Good with range of temps, and fun to watch, but so is a shrimp only tank, so thats gota be your decision.Maybe get another 5 going, stock that with shrimp, and feed the babies to your betta lol

as for you tank, looks good!
And for shrimp per gal... HA
you could put a bunch of ghost shrimp in that tank, like 10 or 15, and you could do even more microshrimp like cherries. They dont funk up your filters bioload much, and there good cleaners. Most are fine just cleaning plants, and tank decor of algae and the occational algae tablet and thats about it... they will breed like a plague though, if they get comphy, but thats not always bad

Back
Top Bottom