5 Gallon Fluval Spec betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shadey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Continued from this thread, which is now too old for replies!

Fluval Spec V 5 gallon

Light- 16" Finnex FugeRay Planted+ SO BRIGHT
Substrate- UP AQUA Sand for Aquatic Plants
DIY CO2
Ferts- Flourish Potassium/Nitrogren/Phosperous, Trace, root tabs
Stock- 1 betta, 4 amano shrimp, 2 nerites

co2 is working great.
fish is happy, snails/shrimp are happy, algae is under control, plants are not greaaaat but theyre doings pretty good. looking at my old pictures, I had way more crypts, I guess I slowly killed them with Excel? everything else has been doing a lot better, though I'm still getting leaf holes.

my "carpet" is a testament to patience. I literally started with about 3 sprigs of hc, and by letting them grow to 3-4 inches, chopping them down, and replanting, have doubled them over and over until I have this. I had thought the carpeting plants were supposed to grow out, mine mostly just grow... up. I've got a bit of a hole on the left that I need to fill in, they keep popping out, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it!

Been really inconsistent with dosing the last two months, just stressed out with other things, so I don't have any real good updates to give with regards to that. testing for nitrates/nitrates etc comes up 0, so I think my diagnosis is "more ferts" not less? I'm running really low on my liquid phos/pot/nitro though, so in the new year I'm probably going to try and grab a set of dry ones, although I find the prospect scary for some reason. probably also time for new root tabs.

Bad phone pics, ho!

Pics from Dec 04:
taken just after a major trim/mow/replant. i threw out a lot, and replanted the best bits.

fish_1204_01.jpg

fish_1204_02.jpg

fish_1204_03.jpg

Pics from Dec 24 (today):
fish_1224_01.jpg

fish_1224_02.jpg

fish_1224_03.jpg

fish_1224_04.jpg

fish_1224_05.jpg

the happiest plant in the tank is that kind of dark brown one. Does anyone know what it is? I wanted them to sort of fill out the space in the back, but it shoots out roots and kind of hugs the ground, so it's growing left to right instead.

ty to caliban, fresh2o, and the other people who helped me in my old thread!

Bit of a showoff fish there :)

I'm not sure on getting plants to grow out, not up. I tend to manage it under high light but would of thought you had heaps of light (don't have that light though).

Back
Top Bottom