5 gallon heavily planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This tank has been established for about six months. I've let it get out of control but my question is would it be okay to top off with water instead of partial water changes? The only inhabitants are three types of snails and seven ghost shrimp.

Attachments

• image-3350974570.jpg
    image-3350974570.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 250
Well at least small water changes might be beneficial. Test your water. As long as your water is testing fine. Top offs are good. Your bioload is very small. I still do PWC weekly even with my heavy plant load.

I would do pwc, with a tank that small. I had to maintain my 10 gallon tank more than my 55 gallon.

The problem with just topping off is it is not exporting nutrients. With a heavily planted tank, nitrates would not be a problem - especially with your bioload. But -- heavy metals found in your water source in very insignificant quantities and other impurities do not evaporate... so every time you top off without doing a PWC, you are adding more of these elements to the system. Over time this can create issues... and they are issues that a normal hobby test kit will not pick up. PWCs are important.

Thanks guys. This is the same pic just different resolution. Wanted to see if it was better.

Attachments

• image-2455307036.jpg
    image-2455307036.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 211
I rescaped my 5 gallon tank. Made more plants from my java fern by cutting the rhizome, have a new red melon sword I'm trying to make runners of, cambomba I chopped up to make a little pine tree forest once it grows out, an amazon sword up front, and plagominium trichomanes from aquatic magic that seems to be alive still. Running DIY co2 and two 13 watt cfls.

Attachments

• image-3065608833.jpg
    image-3065608833.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 118
Atxpunx said:
Standard screw in compact fluorescent.

Oh. You might need to up the lighting a little but but other than that it looks good.

The tank is shallow enough that everything gets hit by light. The five watts per gallon is pretty intense.

Didn't mean to come off as rude, I just know it's too much light because algae takes off without co2 within a few days. Although that might be the par of the bulb

Update pic. Added dwarf sag and African water fern from Forsyth aquatics (thanks guys), moved the java fern. I've been getting fuzz algae, does anyone of any remedies? I've heard of hydrogen peroxide spot treatment, any experience out there with this?

Attachments

• image-1857376603.jpg
    image-1857376603.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 120
Algae can be caused by overfeeding, lights being on too long and not cleaning the tank enough.
I have heard of people using hydrogen peroxide, I have never done it myself but im pretty sure you use a q-tip and dip it in the hydrogen peroxide, then apply it to the parts of the plants that have the algae. But, you would need to take the plants out first.
Other than that, I think your tank looks pretty good! May I ask what filter you use?

I have an air-pump driven internal filter filled with Polyfil. It's marked for a 3 gallon tank but the only inhabitants are snails. I don't feed the snails because I've been trying to slim them down. Thanks for the compliment.

Back
Top Bottom