5 gallon planted build help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking to build a future 5 gallon planted tank (with wifes approval of course). I was hoping I could get a little more advice on substrates, lights and ferts. After reading a little bit on plants I have decided that low light plants are a good start. Do I need ferts and good substrate for them or will regular gravel work just fine? For the lights, I know that the standard lights that come with most hoods will not suffice. What can I get as a simple replacement? Ive heard that I can find something at most chain stores.

I believe that sums up my questions for now. If I think of anymore I will certainly add them to the thread. Thanks in advance.

IMO gravel (unless in natural colors) doesn't look so good with real plants. Pool filter sand is natural colored and looks better. Although dosing fertilizers is not 100% necessary, you will find that the plants grow much better with fertilizers. Many of the stock lights work fine for low light plants, but it varies based on the type of bulb, reflectors etc. If you do think you need more light (I suggest trying it with the stock light first), a desk lamp with a 6500K spiral CFL bulb will probably work. I had a 13w 6500K bulb over my tall 5g (10x10x12 in) and it grew algae when I was attempting to grow low light plants. You may want to use a lower wattage bulb if you go that route.

IMO gravel (unless in natural colors) doesn't look so good with real plants. Pool filter sand is natural colored and looks better. Although dosing fertilizers is not 100% necessary, you will find that the plants grow much better with fertilizers. Many of the stock lights work fine for low light plants, but it varies based on the type of bulb, reflectors etc. If you do think you need more light (I suggest trying it with the stock light first), a desk lamp with a 6500K spiral CFL bulb will probably work. I had a 13w 6500K bulb over my tall 5g (10x10x12 in) and it grew algae when I was attempting to grow low light plants. You may want to use a lower wattage bulb if you go that route.

I actually use this method (cfl's in desk lamps) on my 55g as I wanted live plants but my tank is open top and I didn't want to drop the cash on a light fixture or a hood and extra bulbs, so I went that route. It's worked fine for me, however after giving a go at medium light plants hasn't been all that great, trying rotala rotundifolia (sp?), they are still alive just not growing that much at all, but low light plants are doing just fine! So far I have 3 desk lamps (7$ a piece) and 3 cfl's ($7 for a 3 pack of bulbs), so I only have about $30 in lights. What I like about this set up is its easy to add another light if needed.

I will definitely give the stock bulbs a try, if i still have my hood that is. If not I will have to do the desk lamp idea. Thanks Max. Mrs.h just looked at your pics, you have pretty neat setup. Since Im only going with low light plants for now, the desk lamps seem to be the best option. If/when I upgrade (whether the tank or plants) I will invest in the better lighting.

Max: I have been hesitant on wanting to get pool filter sand only because Im afraid it will be too difficult to clean. Is this a problem or is it just as easy as gravel? As for the ferts, Im thinking of just doing the dry fert pellets Ive read about and dosing every once in a while since low light plants dont need a whole lot.

I did have another question. I tend to rearrange decor in my daughters unplanted 10 gal every time I clean the tank. Is this difficult, if plausible with plants?

Thanks for the advice on the desk lamps Max and Mrs. h. I never would have thought of this cost effective way to solve a lighting problem.

You don't really clean the substrate in a planted tank. It would disrupt the rooting system. I have pfs in all of my tanks. The filter and current keeps most of the gunk cleaned up off the bottom and you can get the rest hovering a gravel vac over the sand. I have malaysian trumpet snails that burrow in the sand to keep air pockets from forming

ForumRunner_20130413_113317.jpg

You still need to try to clean what poop you can even with a planted tank. I use play sand in my 55g, I don't have a carpet and not sure I ever will (even though I would like too), I don't care to get into co2 and all that to be honest. When you have sand all you do to clean it is hover your gravel vac a couple inches over the sand and slowly make a circle with it, the purpose of this is to stir up the poop and other junk, and once it's off the sand and floating in the water move your vac as needed to suck it up. Yes some particles of sand will more than likely get sucked up in the vac, it happens so don't worry about it. Just be sure and check your vac afterwards and get any out so it doesn't clog up your vac. I don't go poking around in my plants trying to suck stuff up, I just vacuum what I can of the substrate and get as close to the plants as I can.

I will definitely give the stock bulbs a try, if i still have my hood that is. If not I will have to do the desk lamp idea. Thanks Max. Mrs.h just looked at your pics, you have pretty neat setup. Since Im only going with low light plants for now, the desk lamps seem to be the best option. If/when I upgrade (whether the tank or plants) I will invest in the better lighting.

Max: I have been hesitant on wanting to get pool filter sand only because Im afraid it will be too difficult to clean. Is this a problem or is it just as easy as gravel? As for the ferts, Im thinking of just doing the dry fert pellets Ive read about and dosing every once in a while since low light plants dont need a whole lot.

I did have another question. I tend to rearrange decor in my daughters unplanted 10 gal every time I clean the tank. Is this difficult, if plausible with plants?

Thanks for the advice on the desk lamps Max and Mrs. h. I never would have thought of this cost effective way to solve a lighting problem.

It isn't too hard to clean as long as you do it correctly before you put it in the tank. I found that it was easy to put some sand in a big bucket, and stick a hose into the bucket and run water into it. This way it tossed around the sand and removed most of the dust/dirt. The first time I used PFS, I rinsed it only a few times and had to do several water changes over and over to get my tank to clear up. The plants should be fine if you rearrange them, but they may need some recovery time to get used to their new area.

I do rinse my pool filter sand initially and there is some dust and cloudiness for several days initially. But if you leave it alone it will settle on its own. Just clean your filter really well the first few weeks.

The poop and waste helps fertilize the plants so I don't get too crazy about vacuuming the poop. My nitrates are usually too low anyway so I welcome the extra decomposition.

I have been wondering how the substrate was cleaned in planted tanks.
Ashley: I will have to look into getting some snails for a clean up crew. Thanks!

Mrs.h: Thanks for the detailed cleaning process.

Max: I learned the hard way to rinse the substrate more then once before adding it to the tank lol. The bucket is a great idea. Thanks!

Another question popped into my head yesterday while at work. While cycling the tank, is it ok to have the plants in as sort of a "plant in cycle", or better to leave them out for the duration of the cycle?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be doing a little more research before I look into getting the tank.

Back
Top Bottom