5 Gallon Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haileyjade

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I have decided to set up and cycle a 5 gallon tank in the near future. I have been wanting to do easy to care for live plants in my established 10 gallon, but I figured I would try a 'test run' in the new tank before swapping out substrate an everything in the bigger tank.

I don't have much planned for stocking. Probably a single betta and a nerite snail or a couple shrimp later on down the road. Probably a moss ball as well, I think they are rather interesting.

My question is: The tank is low tech with simple LEF lighting. What kind of substrate should I purchase for a planted aquarium? I do like the look of sand and would like to do that on top if possible. I've looked through some how to articles but come away feeling confused. I just need some dl suggestions on good starter plants and a run down of how to start them. :)

Thanks in advance!

I do much the same thing in a small low-tech growout tank. I'm using miracle grow organic soil that I sifted to remove large organic particles. I put a sand cap on top of the soil and have seen some success with this combination over the last few months. Best of all it's very inexpensive.

What kind of plants do you recommend for someone new to keeping them?

Darn my phone. I meant LED lights, lol.

Hmm. I wonder how I could rig something like that up while still using a hood. I'm not comfortable keeping a betta without one as I've had a few jumpers in the past.

Awesome, thank you. I will look into these. I hope to get the tank tomorrow and work on setting it up to cycle within the week. :)

Back
Top Bottom