55g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandmaner90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all looking for suggestions on lightning. Dont want to use co2. Suggest away!!

What are cfls? I was thinking of these lights

Being viewed is a 48" 108W Aquarium Light. It supports 2x T5 HO 54W 6,700K Fluorescent Lamps. This light provides an excellent choice for saltwater, reef, or freshwater tropical aquariums.Moreover, its durable German Anodized Aluminum Reflectors engineered to intensify light output.

What are cfls? I was thinking of these lights

Being viewed is a 48" 108W Aquarium Light. It supports 2x T5 HO 54W 6,700K Fluorescent Lamps. This light provides an excellent choice for saltwater, reef, or freshwater tropical aquariums.Moreover, its durable German Anodized Aluminum Reflectors engineered to intensify light output.

Compact fluorescent lights. They're the swirly ones.

That light will probably put you into medium lighting, which you will need co2 for (or atleast liquid carbon).

If you want I can take a picture of my work lights tomorrow. I have them on a 30 gal low light take

Sure! This is a pretty good size tank. I believe its 24 inches tall n 4 ft long. Im not against anything else for feeding the plants just co2 because of the money lol. Unless there are cheaper ways for co2.

Sure! This is a pretty good size tank. I believe its 24 inches tall n 4 ft long. Im not against anything else for feeding the plants just co2 because of the money lol. Unless there are cheaper ways for co2.

There's liquid carbon. Which rivercats has a 100% planted tank that she just used liquid carbon on.

If your up for liquid carbon, I'd go with 4 clamp on work lights (4$ or 6$ on lowes.com) and 4 CFLs (10$ I think). Cheap and efficient.

It's what comes standard on a 55g and im dumb they won't. It uses tube bulbs

Yeah, the cfl clip bulbs are cheap but I would avoid using them. You wont get enough penetration into your water and they are ugly.

If you want medium light then you can go with a dual t5ho light fixture which is exactly what I have over my 55g planted tank. I have an aquatic life fixture.

As for co2 I also skip out on that but instead I use glutaraldehyde. It is a liquid form of carbon that plants can utilize. If you want to save money you can buy a metricide 14 day sterilizing solution which comes in a gallon container for about $20. Then you dilute it with 1 gallon of distilled water. Keep all of the solution inside an opaque bottle because light will break it down rather quickly. I use about 15ml a day for my 55g.

Well i got this plant today was told its low to medium light.

image-4113980711.jpg

I also bought a zoo med 48" fixture and my lfs sold it to me with 2 bulbs they say are for growing plants but I can't remember the exact k ratings. They look amazing on the tank though all for 50$! There was a small crack in the acrylic cover is why i got it so cheap lol. Any ideas on the type of plant I got or way i need to go about planting it? Thanks for any and all advice!!

image-3886674356.jpg

Well i got this plant today was told its low to medium light.

I also bought a zoo med 48" fixture and my lfs sold it to me with 2 bulbs they say are for growing plants but I can't remember the exact k ratings. They look amazing on the tank though all for 50$! There was a small crack in the acrylic cover is why i got it so cheap lol. Any ideas on the type of plant I got or way i need to go about planting it? Thanks for any and all advice!!

Anubias. If u find a way to kill that, your doing something WAYYY wrong.

Well how do I plant it? Do i push it down into the sand or will it root itself down? Also do I need root tabs? And I have no co2 but the lights are a total of 108watts.

How would I tie? And will they not grow in sand? Ill buy some lava rock/driftwood this weekend if I can find some.

Back
Top Bottom