55g planted...updated finally 7/17/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
Quick info:
55g tank
2x65w compact fluorescent bulbs (=130w or ~2.4wpg)
Rena XP3 cannister

Fish:
8 head and tailights
7 flame tetras
7 rummynose tetras
2 bolivian rams
1 angel
7 corydoras sodalis
4 corydoras trilineatus
2 c. schwartzi
4 ottos
1 bristlenose
4 yoyo loaches

(a full house!)

Plants:
crypt wendtii red
crypt wendtii green
crypt retrospiralis
dwarf sag
echinodorous tennellus
bacopa caroliniana
crypt lutea
rotala rotundifolia
hygro polysperma
hygro angustifolia
alternanthera reineckii
java fern
anubias nana...a huge one

(lots of variety)

I changed the substrate from 2/3 regular gravel and 1/3 flourite to 100% Eco-Complete. I love the look of it. I took the opportunity to rearrange some plants. I will be replacing some also, as I have way too many background plants...some I am tired of though (mainly myrio and rotala). I want to get more crypts to make a midground and maybe some hemianthus micranthemoides too), so its not a finished thing yet. I may even hook up some DIY CO2....maybe. I don't have the money for pressurized, or I'd go for that.

Here is the tank a couple weeks ago:
img_671955_0_e358f4559e3d55a3478e04e33e9295d2.jpg

very overgrown and algae infested

Here is the tank before, right before I took everything out:
img_671955_1_be45d1d2168d5db0d95d18cf0d4ef60d.jpg

This is what you get when you have flourite in/as substrate:
img_671955_2_526933fe2f4673e4711dd9bebcf66fe5.jpg

i didn't get a picture when the tank had more water in it...it was very cloudy

I put the fish in my empty 55g tank...they were not happy:
img_671955_3_569a7d19f202f39db333cf7e96083c25.jpg

The finished product:
img_671955_4_f7f35bfa53d50fa8d49963070cb24acd.jpg

I can't wait until the plants grow and cover up that blue sponge! I was advised to put that over the intake of my XP3 so that plants dont get sucked up and rot in the cannister. Its not very pretty though...

Another view:
img_671955_5_596b8cf3276e2f6a9fef19e584e1b03b.jpg

the plants need to grow in some so I can see if they will stay where they are

My bolivian:
img_671955_6_1615138ac7b3a5ef9c2aea8996a8e123.jpg

Can anyone tell if its a he or a she?

Comments, criticism (constructive :)), and any suggestions welcome. I hope to use this thread to see how it grows and evolves. Sorry its so long!

edit 3/17/07: updated stocking list and plant list

According to the Fin Test, that Bolivian is a 'he'.

Other than the Spawn Test, I don't trust the fin test or any other test when it comes to sexing Bolivians.

I think it looks great.....I'm so jealous of your E. tennelus.....most of mine died, even with the high light. Don't know what happened. If your light is powerful enough, that sunset hygro will turn an awesome shade of red at the top and add just the right color punch to your tank. It looks great. Send me some E. tennelus if you ever need to trim it!!!!

That is already really nice, and will be gorgeous when grown out a bit. Betcher fish will be happy in there too-I like your species choices.

WHY do they make the sponges blue? WHY? :evil:

Thanks everyone.

maxwell: For awhile I called my bolivian a she...but after she/he colored up a bit and I saw that her/his fins were a little elongated, I thought it was a he. I hope to get a pair of bolivians soon, so I'll have 3. I just hope if mine is a he that it will get along with another male. I may try to get a trio (1m/2f) to try to prevent problems. Thanks for trying to sex it...I haven't been sure what to call it (he or she).

azn_fishy: Yes the DW is bright. I had some Taiwon moss on it that made it blend in a little more but the moss got all tangled and looked like crap so I tossed it. I am going to try to get more java ferns to put on it and maybe some Christmas moss for the arm part, so it won't be so noticeable. Do you think that would help?

crazyred: I have a mix of E. tennellus and dwarf sag in the front. I tried to separate them when I put them back in the tank so I could put the dwarf sag in the more shady areas...but I had a hard time telling some of the plants apart. The E. tennellus does great most of the time, but when it grows in a huge mass after awhile...it has alot of dead leaves. I'll let it grow out some and then I'll send you some. It will need a trim in a few weeks probably. I just gotta keep my loaches and cories from uprooting it....there are about 5 plants floating right now.

plecoperson: I hate the blue sponge, but its all I had. I actually got that one for my Aquaclear 20. Its a Big Al's brand sponge. I started buying all my sponges for my Aquaclears from Big Al's (cheaper than the Hagen brand), but they are very blue. I may try to find a black one...but if the plants grow fast enough to cover it up, then I won't worry about it.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll try to update pictures as it grows into a jungle!

i have seen green sponges near me as well as the blue. but i love the look of the tank but i also agree that the driftwood sticks out a little. may i suggest u try some kind of moss? that is my only constructive criticism. i think some christmas moss and java moss mixed in there would be nice.

I'm going to wait on the moss right now. I planted the Hygro "Ceylon" right under the arm, hoping that it will grow behind and in front of it and hide it a little. I will eventually put some moss on the big part of the wood though, after I get more java ferns. I want a big bunch of java ferns on there. I'm thinking Christmass moss this time. I just have to make sure it doesn't get shaded. That's what happened to the Taiwon moss that was on there before...it got shaded and some parts died and it looked really bad. You can see that in the first picture of the post. It also collected alot of nasties.

Could cut a black sponge to fit too. Nice mix of plants.

A couple new pictures. The Hygro polysperma is slowly growing to cover up the ugly blue sponge.
img_679582_0_2c253d49813269cf956f2588a40f44a2.jpg

Whole tank and stand view from my bed:
img_679582_1_266eb3c538ff5e43d7341255b809c49b.jpg

sorry...its a little blurry

I am ordering 1 Red Sea turbo CO2 today....and will order a second one in a couple weeks. I'll get the first one going when I get it! Hopefully it can speed up the growth a little. I will post more pictures when something changes!

You have done a ton of work, your tank looks amazing! I love how you have the sloped the substrate. Who needs a TV when you've got that tank to look at! Nice work.

Thanks! I still need to get some more crypts for the midground and some moss for the driftwood. I hope to do that in a couple weeks. I will most likely be replacing the small piece of DW with another piece of Swahala...so it will match. I'm just not sure how my other piece will fit, but I'll see.

It looks kind of like a jungle....but I like it! I love looking at my tank in the morning...my yoyos always entertain me. And nope...i don't need a tv!

Glenc, the sloping down of the substrate in front of the big driftwood was done for my yoyos. They hide under the wood, so I had to may sure they could get back under it. Also, they have wiggled under there to make their little tunnels, so some of the substrate has been pushed around and makes a little dip. It looks cool to me though, so I haven't changed it.

I just have to add that although Hygro polysperma is a weed, I love it. The regular green kind is so pretty! It is such a nice bright green color...too bad you can't buy it anymore. I have Crazyred to thank for the green kind (Ceylon) and the Sunset Hygro.

Thanks for all the comments!

As for the Bolivian, are the extenstions on the tail fin getting long, or are they staying real short? Both my male and female have extensions, but the females are very short, and the male is quite long.

You're welcome on the Hygro. I can't keep this stuff trimmed in my tank! LOL It's going wild again, and I just fired up my CO2 system again.

Your tank is looking great! I guess I should post an update on my 55 as well. Did you get the moss for your wood yet? I have java moss on mine, but it's not completely covering the wood.

Lonewolf: The tail extensions do seem to be getting longer. I keep trying to get a better picture of him, but he hates the camera...he will be out in the open even when I'm standing by the tank, but as soon as I get the camera out, he hides. Crazy fish! I'll work on that. He has alot of color too, so I'm hoping he is indeed a male.

Crazyred: I haven't gotten any moss yet. I have some extra Taiwon moss in my 29g, but it looked terrible on the wood in the 55g so I don't want to use it. I'm thinking about getting some java moss or maybe some Christmas moss. I've heard java moss can get out of hand...and I don't want that! I'm ordering supplies for my 38g this pay check, so I'll have to get the plants next pay check (darn part time job)...oh well, atleast I have a couple weeks to decide what I want to order.

JustOneMore20 said:
I keep trying to get a better picture of him, but he hates the camera...he will be out in the open even when I'm standing by the tank, but as soon as I get the camera out, he hides. Crazy fish!

I'm beginning to think that the fish can see the infrared light that the camera uses to focus. My cory's exhibit the same behaviour - as soon as point the camera at them, and press the shutter - they are off like a shot. It's too strong a cause and effect for it to just be random chance.

Back
Top Bottom