Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

5ft Tank Scape Critique

I'm working on an aquascape for my 5ft (18" front to back, 24" tall) tank and I'm looking for some input on the manzanita that I've put together so far.

I'm looking to create that feeling of it being the edge of a river. This will be a low maintenance tank with a large array of plants ... I'd say close to a jungle tank but a bit more manicured.

I'm trying a tree trunk style layout at the moment. I'm open to any and all suggestions, good or bad.

Here's a front shot. Ignore the rocks at the moment they are there just to hold things up. The wood planks are there to give a sense of where the gravel depth will be and to show the tank dimensions.

Here's two side shots. The tank will be viewed mostly from this angle cause that's the direction of the sofa.

And here's the other side.

What do you guys think? BTW, I will be adding rock work of some sorts using dragon (Ohko) rock.

Thanks,
Harry

Old 11-25-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here's a few shots after I added some rocks ... the rocks were sort just thrown together to give some extra context to the wood. Not really sure what to think of this scape yet.

Thanks,
Harry

Old 11-26-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice build. What you planning to do? Want to grow carpet too? Let me know what kind of plants you want and what's your plan. High tech or low tech?
Old 11-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nice Harry ! I like the wood looking like a stump in the water. I have LOADED my tank[180g] with java wood and love the effect it creates.
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I decided to try adding some branches to the escape. I also raised the gravel level to reduce the mangrove look I was getting. So in these pictures the bottom you see is going to be the top of the gravel.

I think the branches are starting to give the scape a less artificial look, but I'm open to opinions, etc.

Thanks,
Harry
Old 12-02-2017, 05:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes the original stump was too straight in my opinion and lacked that natural feel.

The new branch already makes things look better. I bet you could get one or two more in there. I’ve never been a fan of mixing rock and wood but it definitely can work.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here's what I've put together so far.

I'm not sure about the long root though. I might remove it. I'm also still playing around with adding more smaller roots at the base of the stump. Not sure if that might be too much wood though.

And I'm mostly stuck in figuring out how to incorporate some of the dragon rock I have into this scape.

Feel free to comment, offer opinions, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,
Harry
Old 12-09-2017, 03:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Muscle View Post
Here's what I've put together so far.

I'm not sure about the long root though. I might remove it. I'm also still playing around with adding more smaller roots at the base of the stump. Not sure if that might be too much wood though.

And I'm mostly stuck in figuring out how to incorporate some of the dragon rock I have into this scape.

Feel free to comment, offer opinions, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,
Harry

I’m not an aqua scaper by any means. I do prefer the natural look though and I think the pieces are too straight. Roots are very random in nature so I would somehow try to capture that. Could you lean some of the more unwieldy branches against the back corner of the tank?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2836.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	305488

Ignore the algae. This was for experimental purposes.

I still have the is wood and plan to do something along this lines again with it.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like it. It gives a sense of motion- except for the bottom branch. That angle doesn't make sense with the two higher branches. Funny that's the one you can't really move.

https://injaf.org/
https://thedelicion.com
nirbhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

The driftwood is now all done and I'm playing around with the rock scape. Please let me know what you guys think of this rock layout. For some reason the rocks are proving harder for me to scape that the driftwood.

Don't forget that there will be about 3" of gravel so the bottom portions of the wood and rocks will be hidden by that.

Thanks,
Harry
Old 12-28-2017, 02:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The driftwood is now all done and I'm playing around with the rock scape. Please let me know what you guys think of this rock layout. For some reason the rocks are proving harder for me to scape that the driftwood.

Don't forget that there will be about 3" of gravel so the bottom portions of the wood and rocks will be hidden by that.

Thanks,
Harry

I think it’d look nice if some of the dragon stone was more towards the main stump so that the eye would be drawn towards the left or right side of the tank, depending on placement. That’s just my personal opinion. Small Java Fern varieties or Anubias nana “petite” would look great along those branches. The long roots that either one would produce would give the tank a very natural feel.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here's the latest version actually in the tank. No gravel yet though.

Thanks,
Harry
Old 12-30-2017, 12:38 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Nice to see this build come together. The DW fills that tank.
What substrate do you plan on using?
Old 12-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi Harry, I'm only just starting out so hope you don't mind me pitching in my totally inexperienced view.

The trunk makes an awesome focal point at the upper left 3rd, with the nobbley bits in the perfect spot. I then find my eye drawn along the lower branch, but then it wants to go up but that space is blank.

I think maybe one of the rocks nearing the right end could point up a little. Or something else to draw the eye up to keep it in the "frame" longer, ideally a loop.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Here's a few shots after I added some rocks ... the rocks were sort just thrown together to give some extra context to the wood. Not really sure what to think of this scape yet.

Thanks,
Harry
Hi Harry

I actually like these pics better. It looks natural and with plants it will look even better. The last pics with the floating branches doesn’t look as natural. This is just my opinion.

Tags
cap, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com