5G Remodel Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've decided to remodel my 5G to a planted tank. I'm focusing on low-medium low light plants. Heres a picture of the tank currently.

img_1484652_0_7712f72b0dbab95aea7ba7969b2a9b89.jpg

I plan on removing both fake plants and fake plastic decorations. I'm going for the all natural look. Here are all my plans:

-New black background (black posterboard about 0.50$)
-Sand as substrate (PFS)
-New AC20 filter (currently using marina i25 internal)
-Remove all fake decorations
-Adding driftwood and constructing a rock cave with silicone
-Removing airstone in hopes that AC20 will have enough surface agitation

These are the plants i plan on having (sorry if i misspelled):
-Cabomba
-Anubias nana
-cryptocoryne parva
-hygrophila corymbosa augustifolia
-Xmas moss (on dw)

I currently have 1 betta and 5 amano shrimp in the tank. I plan on adding 5 more amanos and 5 RCS.

I really hope you guys read and follow along and of course enjoy! Thanks!

Thanks! The guy gave me the wrong bag of sand so i won't be able to start until monday but rocks and driftwood are boiled and ready. I just need to silicone some rocks together to form caves and my decor will be ready. I will be ordering the plants next weekend so i think this little project should be done in 2-3 weeks. I will be posting a lot of pictures once i get started :)

Update!

Ok so i haven't updated in a few days but i've got some news. Tomorrow i will finally be returning the sand and actually getting pool filter sand. I will try my best to transfer the sand tomorrow night and have a picture up by tomorrow night or wednesday morning once everything is settled. I also siliconed some rocks from my backyard together to form a cave for the tank. Heres a shot:
img_1489219_0_7985a6b233d4f38e0cb8ddbc07de9282.jpg

Haha thanks i guess i just put a rock on top of two others. Simple enough :p I like the one i made for my 32G a lot better. Heres a pic of it if you'd like to see it.

img_1489400_0_a2896c8fa52ababb9d5fe725a6f6a206.jpg

Update!

I've been a little busy lately and still haven't got the sand. I'm hoping tonight is the night. I was doing a little cleaning and preparation for the substrate switch and i realized my filter was badly clogged. Its a marina i25 cheapo filter and it uses 1 cartridge which i hate. I can't switch out the cartridge seeing as it'll cause a mini cycle. I just realized how bad i need a new filter. Oh man is this hobby expensive. :banghead:

Ok I've got the sand but I won't be able to complete the tank until next week. Just got news that I'm getting my room painted and getting new furniture. This week has been pretty hectic but I got the tank empty and this is what the nerites, shrimp and Betta are gonna be in for a while.

Attachments

• image-1577314947.jpg
    image-1577314947.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 86
Ok so I fixed up the tank and am ordering plants tonight. I should be able to fully set it up sometime next week.

Attachments

• image-3582492479.jpg
    image-3582492479.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 98
I just ordered the AC20 and am still trying to order the plants. The guy I'm buying from doesn't seem to reply anymore.

My filter came in the mail but I missed the delivery guy so I have to pick it up tomorrow. My room will be painted sometime either Friday or Saturday so this tank will be up soon. I'll have more pictures up as soon as I can.

No pool filter crushed rock. I couldn't find pool filter sand. I've got this in my 35G and I really like the dark color.

Yay got my filter! :) nothing special but I felt like updating and pics.

Attachments

• image-2449404682.jpg
    image-2449404682.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 74
  • image-2837120813.jpg
    image-2837120813.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom