5G Shrimp tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I want to start a 5G shrimp tank. It will be a regular 5G long. I was thinking about doing CRS or RCS, or possibly even red tiger shrimp.(tiger shrimp are my favorite!)

I will be using a 27W daylight desk lamp as my lighting. I'm pretty sure this is considered high light? 5W's per gallon?Probably not doing co2. I'm not sure yet.

For a filter, maybe an aquaclear 20? I have seen a mini canister filter on amazon, I will post a link to it a little later.

What plants would look good in the small tank? I was thinking about dwarf baby tears, dwarf sag, tons of moss, (flame or java) and dwarf hairgrass. what do you think? I love delicate looking plants. Im also trying to stay away from plants with big leaves like anubias. Thanks!!

You cannot do high light without CO2 AFAIK. You'll just grow an Algae farm !
So either less light, moderate ferts, little or no CO2 OR go High Light/High Tech and plan on using CO2.

With my CRS I don't use CO2 at all. I run about 2watts per gallon. I grow a ton of plants. I use root tabs every 4 months and a basic liquid Fert once weekly. I do PWCs weekly and add ferts then.

Coursair said:
You cannot do high light without CO2 AFAIK. You'll just grow an Algae farm !
So either less light, moderate ferts, little or no CO2 OR go High Light/High Tech and plan on using CO2.

With my CRS I don't use CO2 at all. I run about 2watts per gallon. I grow a ton of plants. I use root tabs every 4 months and a basic liquid Fert once weekly. I do PWCs weekly and add ferts then.

Ok I didn't know that:/ thanks for the great info! Now I just have to figure out what light fixture has around 10 watts. I think co2 in that small of an environment would be unstable. What do you think?also, what do you mean by moderate ferts? I was going to use a nutrient rich substrate. And dose liquid ferts one a week. Thanks for the responding, it is appreciated!

Austin.b said:
Ok I didn't know that:/ thanks for the great info! Now I just have to figure out what light fixture has around 10 watts. I think co2 in that small of an environment would be unstable. What do you think?also, what do you mean by moderate ferts? I was going to use a nutrient rich substrate. And dose liquid ferts one a week. Thanks for the responding, it is appreciated!

Your desk lamp is fine as a fixture. Just use a less wattage bulb. I use u-shaped 10watt 5500K bulbs from Marineland. But you can use up to 13watt 6500K bulbs from hardware store as its cheaper. I'm using my Top Fin hood so space is an issue.

Ferts sound fine. You can use root tabs if you decide to add Crypts. But you'd only need 2 or 3 for the whole tank.

Assess your plant selection. You may want to switch to some low light alternatives. Or you can try them and see how they do. Often high light plants will still grow, but their color is different or they are much taller than you'd want.

I love my Crypts. For easy stems I have Ludwigia repens and Myriophyllium mattagrossense and Bacopa monnieri.
I have Mosses and Ferns. I even grow Blyxa :)

Coursair said:
Your desk lamp is fine as a fixture. Just use a less wattage bulb. I use u-shaped 10watt 5500K bulbs from Marineland. But you can use up to 13watt 6500K bulbs from hardware store as its cheaper. I'm using my Top Fin hood so space is an issue.

Ferts sound fine. You can use root tabs if you decide to add Crypts. But you'd only need 2 or 3 for the whole tank.

Assess your plant selection. You may want to switch to some low light alternatives. Or you can try them and see how they do. Often high light plants will still grow, but their color is different or they are much taller than you'd want.

I love my Crypts. For easy stems I have Ludwigia repens and Myriophyllium mattagrossense and Bacopa monnieri.
I have Mosses and Ferns. I even grow Blyxa :)

I'll use the same fixture stated before, and I'll just use a lower watt bulb. Thanks!

I don't use liquid gets in my 10G because I'm scared they will kill of my shrimp. I used to use aqueon and API plant food ferts. Do you think they will have any ill effects on my shrimp? It dosent say that there's copper in it, but I'm still worried about using it. As for root tabs, I haven't used them before, but I will try them in this tank.

I actually love my crypts too lol along with my Lucens lol they're both in my 10G. So as of now, my planting list is ludwigia repens, java moss, and I'm still not sure what else.haha thanks for all the advice!!

You might be o.k. with that level of light and no co2, but it's something you just have to try and see. The WPG equation doesn't work well, and it especially doesn't work on smaller tanks. DIY co2 is pretty easy to do, but be careful not to overdo it and nuke your tank.

jetajockey said:
You might be o.k. with that level of light and no co2, but it's something you just have to try and see. The WPG equation doesn't work well, and it especially doesn't work on smaller tanks. DIY co2 is pretty easy to do, but be careful not to overdo it and nuke your tank.

Yeah I thought so, I read that before on another blog lol that's basically why I'm not doing co2 for the fear of crashing my tank. Right now I'm trying to battle BBA in my 10 because of low co2 levels:/ also, what kind of plants would go well with shrimp? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
A sponge filter would probably be your best bet. You won't lose any shrimplets that way.

siva said:
A sponge filter would probably be your best bet. You won't lose any shrimplets that way.

Ok that's a good idea lol. My LFS(well not so local) specializes in shrimp. He has these sponges that go over the whole intake of an aqua clear. I was thinking about using that so I still get the power of an aquaclear. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
siva said:

I don't like to sacrifice the room in my tank, so I use Fluval black sponge prefilters over my intakes. I have HOB filters on my Shrimp tanks.

If you ask me leaving a desk lamp on 8-12 hours a day is a fire hazard. Id just buy a hood.
Also, sponge filters are cheap (in the good way)

Coursair said:
I don't like to sacrifice the room in my tank, so I use Fluval black sponge prefilters over my intakes. I have HOB filters on my Shrimp tanks.

I don't either lol for some reason I hate everything that takes up room inside my tank haha also, can you attach a picture? I can't picture it for some reason lol.

tarpon said:
If you ask me leaving a desk lamp on 8-12 hours a day is a fire hazard. Id just buy a hood.
Also, sponge filters are cheap (in the good way)

Yeah that's true, I didn't think about that:/ one of the reasons i thought about using a desk lamp was because I have never seen a hood for a 5G. Sorry to keep tying everything back to my 10G planted, but lighting is such an extreme pain for me. I've had so much trouble trying to find a good light for my 10g,(still haven't found one) I don't think I could find one for a 5G.

Yeah, that's true, but I would rather have the power of an aquaclear over a sponge filter. Shrimp are much more sensitive to everything like nitrates n such. Thanks for the advice!!!!!

Austin.b said:
I'll use the same fixture stated before, and I'll just use a lower watt bulb. Thanks!

I don't use liquid gets in my 10G because I'm scared they will kill of my shrimp. I used to use aqueon and API plant food ferts. Do you think they will have any ill effects on my shrimp? It dosent say that there's copper in it, but I'm still worried about using it. As for root tabs, I haven't used them before, but I will try them in this tank.

I actually love my crypts too lol along with my Lucens lol they're both in my 10G. So as of now, my planting list is ludwigia repens, java moss, and I'm still not sure what else.haha thanks for all the advice!!

I use API Leaf Zone. My Shrimp are fine with it. I don't use any liquid CO2 booster.

I have RCS and CRS.

I use Tetra FloraPride, Seachum Flourish, and API or Seachum root tabs and they've never harmed my inverts.

Back
Top Bottom