6 Gallon eclipse planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have this 6 gallon eclipse with the reg T8 or T5 (not sure) 12" bulb and I want to make it a small planted tank for my wife. Was thinking of just investing in a 10 gal or a 20 long, but does anyone have any insight on saving $$ and making a nice planted tank out of the 6 gal I already have. Not much more room with the 75 and soon to be 55 top and 30 bottom stand I am drawing up plans for now to build this week. Gonna be open on bottom instead of the cabinet style.
Scott

Flourescent Bulb

I just researched a replacement bulb on amazon and a couple of other vendors that advertise a replacement bulb thats brighter/stronger than the bulb which comes with the new system and this advertised bulb is supposed to promote aquatic plants growth.
Can only tell you it's a T5 bulb. I don't have a bulb to read off of. The original bulb burnt out and I am ordering a new one.

Need to know how many watts it is.

You can get a bulb that produces a different spectrum, but the wattage of the bulb will remain constant.

Watts...

Need to know how many watts it is.

You can get a bulb that produces a different spectrum, but the wattage of the bulb will remain constant.
8 watts & 5500K according to That Pet Place

ok... the color temp is close... it would probably be fine. Unfortunately, an 8W T5 bulb isn't going to grow much of anything. Do you have a link to the bulb that made the claims you posted above? I can take a look at it.

The eclipse systems are difficult... not easily modified for FW plant suitability.

You could try some very low light plants... java moss will probably survive... maybe java ferns, or some anubias.

Careful when you go to get plants. A lot of LFSs sell plants that are not aquatic, even though they are marked as such. Like buying fish, you want to know the requirements of what you are getting BEFORE you get it home and in your tank.

It is still only 8 watts. I honestly don't think it would be much better than what you already have.

bulb wattage

As I mentioned, i don't have a bulb. Am searching for a replacement bulb.

No I didn't see that mentioned. Unfortunately, 8 watts of t5 lighting is just not much light. It will hard to keep most plants alive.

Back
Top Bottom