72G Bowfront - Light for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
My light fixture is a single bulb 4'. I have 3 different bulbs as possibilities. They came with the tank. 48" long T8

Oceanic Tank

48W Aqueon Full spectrum Daylight 8,000K best option of these?
GLO Sun-glo 40 W Daylight Aquarium 4200K bulb have 2bulbs
actinic 32W Obviously not for a planted tank with only one bulb! lol

For now it seems I will have a low light tank, I can see I need to change this asap!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might work for this?

Maybe add on hidden LED light bars? Inside.

I am looking into a different lighting system but for now the bulb above or buy a new bulb will be an economical short term solution. It may be crazy but my initial budget is $150 for the light but in 1-2 months, I might be able to build something, but it needs to look nice. I guess I had thought the fixture was 2 bulbs as it looks like two in the reflector! :( I previously hadn't needed to change light bulbs/lighting.

Plants are some swords, mixed mosses, Java ferns normal and Windelov. Crypts, brown and a couple little ones, Ludwigia repens x Arcuata, dwarf vals or sags. Eel grass, onion, Tiger lotus, Apongeton.

Other details fyi.

Eco complete substrate.

I use Ferka substrate capsules, Stemma and Rosetta, (I have been out, couldn't get it/out of stock, but my order just came in,) and Flourish but am looking at other possibilities in the future.

Let me know if you have questions.

Check out the Finnex Ray 2 36" LED fixture. It's on Amazon for less than $150 (within your budget).

I have the 24" version on my 26g bow front which has similar dimensions as yours other than length.

Check out how it's been working out for me:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...irst-dutch-inspired-scape-journal-235192.html

If you want to stick with low light plants with no co2 and little maintenance, you can consider the Finnex Fugeray 36"

Hey Brian, I have been loosely following your build, your tank and scape look beautiful.

I'll check in to your, as well as any additional suggestions, from others here for the lights.

Have been reading some posts about lighting. I was massively disappointed when I realized there was only one bulb. I haven't ever had a hood that didn't have two bulbs!!! Hadn't considered this would be part of my conversations at this point. But obviously not the case. One light bulb, aaahhhhhhhhh argh! :facepalm: lol

Still would like to see if there is a 4' monster bulb which would be a good deal and a short term quick fix.

Oh man!!! I feel like a big dummy!:facepalm:

I thought for some reason, your tank was the 46g BowFront, that's why I mentioned 36" fixtures...

Well, yeah for 48" fixtures, the price does jump significantly putting most of the options for LED beyond your budget. Although, the Finnex Ray 2 48" is not that much more than your budget, coming in at $174 on Amazon. This is considered medium to high light and co2 might be needed.

I still think it's a great fixture... What's your hood looking like?
Mine just lays across the glass portal that's on the cheapo plastic hood on my 26g...
8301337018_21dccb4489_c.jpg

HOWEVER....You could possibly get 2x 24" Finnex FugeRays and put them side-by-side if they would just lay across the top as my fixture does now. That would be $140 for both. On the Finnex page HERE, there's a chart for a 48" FugeRay. I don't see one for sale at the moment, but maybe they're just sold out and will be restocking.. you can always email them if you're interested.

The FugeRay "should" provide you enough light for medium light requirements as what your Red Tiger Lotus would need.

If the dimensions of a 72g is 48.4" x 18" x 23" and according to Finnex's PAR Values - (subtracting a few inches of substrate) at 20" from light source to substrate, you should have anywhere between 40 to 45 micromols of PAR. Where "Values between 30-80 are considered medium light (source)," you should be good with the FugeRay with your plant selection.

I'm appreciating your help.

The top of the tank has a big brace in the center and two clear glass panels one on each side with a bend in the center at the point where the bow starts, where you open the tops to feed/add water.

This is an advantage as it is all clear on the top.

The light is one solid piece like any hood light top but 48".

Sorry no additional pic but this one atm.

60074-albums11380-picture49884.jpg

There you go then.. You can place 1x 24" Fugeray on each side for less than $150. I dunno, there might be other options but was thinking of an LED solution for under $150.

Only negative i see is that you'd be limited to low to medium light plants. If you're cool with that, then this isn't a negative...

Good luck with which ever option you run with.. Wish i had that 72g to play with :)

LMK when the build starts, I'd love to follow along.

The 2-24" lights might be an option.

Although I don't think I want CO2, perhaps would want to be able to have that option in the future. Just in case!

If I end up spending $$-$$$ I would want a amazing solid light! I would have to save for it lol!

Well with the Fugeray, no co2 needed. The Ray 2, yes..

If you can't upgrade the lighting for another month or so, what are you going to do with all those plants? I'm assuming they're in another tank right now? Perhaps leave them there while you save up. You can at least get the 72g cycled meanwhile?

The pic above is the beginning of the build, added a pic of the plants before I filled it up, they are in my album.

I will start a build post sometime this week. My phone camera sucks :blink: lol.

The tank is awesome for sure and is a new to me setup, but is in really excellent condition. Thought I was going for a 46G Bowfront but this one cost what I woulda got the 46G for and all the extra stuff complete for 200. Except the light is lame! :lol:

I will do some checking on those lights and satisfaction ratings!

Hi Brian, after our conversation I ended up emailing Finnex customer service got a response by the next morning! Then a couple of emails, the Fuge Ray 48" is out of stock until March but they put me on the reserve list I think they said it was 132.99 free shipping. They emailed me a picture too of the light info for both FR and Ray2, lightning fast responses, so very nice to deal with.

How is the heat distribution for the finnex. How long have you had yours, which one is it?

Well that's refreshing to know that their customer service is good. Luckily I haven't had to contact them for anything negative since both my fixtures are still operational. I have Ray 2's on two tanks. The oldest been running since September last year.

Edit: the heat distribution is great! I can touch the fixtures and it feels just very warm after being on for hours.

They said the Ray 2 is better for med to high light plants, and the Fuge Ray was better for low to mid light it also has moon lights, with two on/off switches. So are you using co2 do you have any algae problems, and how far is your substrate from the light? Mine is around 22" from bulb to soil level.

The 16" Ray2 is about 12" from light to sub in my 6g, so it's pretty high light in which I do inject co2. The 24" Ray 2 on my 26g is about 18" from light to sub, co2 as well. They both went through a bit of their share of diatoms and algae, but after some fine tuning on the co2 levels, photoperiod, ferts, and just letting the tanks mature a bit, everything started to balance out. Both tanks are filled with a majority of moderate to high light fast growing plants.

I think for a low / moderate lit tank, the FugeRay should suffice. If you're thinking of expanding into high light, you can get the Ray 2 but you'll have to suspend the light above the tank to avoid algae. Then if you want to go high tech planted and get more intensity from it, you can lower the light by docking it on the tank.

Sounds solid.

What do you think of doing 2 24" Fuge Ray now with the mid light? Exactly the same number of LEDs.

I could change or even add the fixtures to a different tank(s) later on a smaller one say my 16G bowfront add to 37G or what ever would be pretty strong medium light.

Is there a downside to having two units sitting on top? Upside would be the additional switch for adjusting the light.

If I ended up wanting to go to the Ray2 and co2 I could do the 48" then.

Fuge Ray 48" is on backstock until march also so I would have to wait. over a month...

Anyone else can jump in too!

I think either option would do.. It all depends on you and what you're willing to do in terms of maintenance... Higher light plants require a little more work but to me i enjoy maintaining my aquariums.. I find it therapeutic :)

I would imagine that the 48" FR is just two 24" FR's underneath one solid aluminum housing. Since your tank has a glass top, you can put them side by side. And your plan sounds good because you can eventually use these on smaller tanks if you decide you want a stronger light for the 72g. I just put all my lights on timers, so fiddling with switches isn't really a concern... Automation is a great thing! :)

Thanks again Brian, it is nice to have someone to bounce these ideas off of, since it is money I hadn't planned on spending, and I don't want to be disappointed in a purchase for a hunk of change like that!

Next year I may be traveling more and I can't take the chance for someone else helping me to maintain the tank who doesn't really care about it. For now I am trying to make it simple.

Well I'd hate for you to be disappointed and it all fall back on me for recommending it. My direct experience is with the Ray2. But from what I've read, it seems people really like their FugeRays. You'd be the first to have them (that I know of) on a tank your size. However, if you order them from Amazon, Amazon has really good customer service and you can always return them if they don't meet your expectations.

No wouldn't do that! lol I'll use your input and others comments on theirs here on AA, review the info and product quality based off of what others have said, good and bad and weigh my options. It's all on me! That's why I want it to be a great choice (because I have to live with myself and I can get pretty cranky :ROFLMAO: )! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom