75 gallon planted aquarium log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crockwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
Craigthor has me all fired up with his riparium so I figured it was time to start my the log for my on going project.

Current Equipment:
75 gallon All-Glass aquarium and stand
Eheim 2215 canister
Penn Plax 300w glass heater
Tetra Whisper air pump
Single bulb T8 fluorescent light fixture
Standard light colored gravel substrate (4 20lb bags)
Black Flourite (i think its a 15.4 lb bag)

Current Stock:
1 large angelfish (not sure of the type)
10 barbs (mixture of ruby and tigers, I was screwed by the LFS)
1 common pleco
1 small unidentified pleco
1 very large (8"+) unidentfied pleco
1 albino cory
1 random *** black goldfish my fiance wanted

The only current plant is some kind of crypt thats left over from my 10 gallon. Then theres a bunch of plastic plants :rolleyes:

Now since I bought this I've done a ton of reading and learned there are a lot of things I need to upgrade and change in order to have the tank I want. So here are the changes/additions I plan on making.

1. Pull 1/2 of the existing substrate and add 3 bags of Eco-complete.
2. Add stone and driftwood
3. Switch heater out with 300w Hydor ETH
4. Add CO2 system, consisting of the Aquariumplants.com electronic regulator, DIY PVC reactor (like Craigthors setup), Milwaukee pH controller, 10lb bottle
5. Switch out light fixture to Catalina Aquarium Solar 4x54w T5HO setup.
6. Reworking the inside of my cabinet Craigthor style (i told you, you had me fired up!)

I'm not sure what fish or plants will be going in. I have ideas, just nothing solid. For plants I'm looking at microsword on the floor, crypts in the midground and various large swords and maybe some vallis in the background. I'll also be adding in anything I find interesting. I'm looking at bosmani rainbows, clown loaches, corys, rummynoses, maybe various types of tiger barbs. I'm still doing research here too.

Driftwood and stone showed up today. Next to order is going to be the Eco-Complete and the light. Then I'll get the first round of plants and switch everything out. I think I'll be able to keep the plants plenty healthy while I get the CO2 system set up. If nothing else I'll knock it down to 2 bulbs until I'm ready to start injecting.

My big questions are:
1. Do the components for the CO2 system seem reliable? I haven't seen anyone here using the electronic regulator. It looks nice to me because it eliminates several components and puts them all in one. Plus I'm used to using electronics in my paintball gun to control airflow and all so its a comfort thing. However I don't want to buy stuff that sucks and won't hold up.

2. I have an additional Eheim 2213 filter just sitting in the cabinet. Would it be advisable to get it up and running also? Should I put one on each side? Will it affect anything if one filter is bigger than the other? If running both would I need to inject into that system also or would one side be ok?

I'll be adding pictures of everything tomorrow.

I just want to add that you need to get rid of the goldfish, ESPECIALLY since you are heating the tank. They are cold water fish and dont adapt well to warm water. PLUS he will eat your plants. Big plant eaters goldfish are. Lots of plecos and i am sure that you have heard the common ones will eventually outgrow your tank. Cant wait to see pics and see this going. As for the filter it will be fine running both, just more filtration. Besides it might help if you need a emergency QT. It dosent matter if 1 is bigger then the other as they come to run so they compensate for each other. You could put both on 1 side or 1 on each side, dosent matter.

To add to what Etunes said, I've heard plecos can be plant bulldozers.

How come goldfish do so well in the tropics? My sister bought goldfish in my old tank when they moved to Darwin. it was only 20gal and got 4 small goldfish, they outgrew the tank in no time and when I joined the family I moved them on. They were huge and healthy and I don't think the water tem dropped below 30 deg Celcius from the ambient temperature.

And in our hotels on our Honeymoon to Bali they all had fish ponds full of all sorts of fancy goldfish, fat active and healthy. My wife and I had a 3hr relaxation massage in a resort where all the massage area was built over a giant goldfish pond. I had 3 hrs of observation time... in between the lil naps I had.

It has to be the bioload (waste production), oxygen demand and other fin nippers that must be considered when housing with tropicals. I am certain that temp. is not an issue.

The goldfish seems to enjoy his current environment, but regardless... I don't want him in there. However, since the fiance wants him its a tricky task to get him out haha.

The goldfish won't be hurt by warm water. I don't understand this. They will adapt fine to it. These fish are captive bred and have been raised up in warm water their whole lives. The ENTIRE line of goldfish have been raised for hundreds of years in warm water in tropical regions, this is just a myth. Cold water doesn't mean they can only thrive in cold water. Cold water means they prefer cold water over warm water.

My big questions are:
1. Do the components for the CO2 system seem reliable? I haven't seen anyone here using the electronic regulator. It looks nice to me because it eliminates several components and puts them all in one. Plus I'm used to using electronics in my paintball gun to control airflow and all so its a comfort thing. However I don't want to buy stuff that sucks and won't hold up.

2. I have an additional Eheim 2213 filter just sitting in the cabinet. Would it be advisable to get it up and running also? Should I put one on each side? Will it affect anything if one filter is bigger than the other? If running both would I need to inject into that system also or would one side be ok?

1- Don't use the electronic regulator, Check out some of the stuff from greenleafaquariums.com, if you want to know why go to theplantedtank.net and there are a few threads on teh electronic regulator. I would go with a nice regulator, I use the GLA as Orlando there builds great stuff. You can also search for Sumo or Rex Griggs as well both reputable builders. Also consider a Drop Checker (ebay for cheap) and some 4DkH Solution for it either DIY or can be purchased. That will help give you an idea on what level of CO2 you have.

2- I would use both filters, plumb the heater into the 2213 and the reactor into the 2215. You will appreciate the extra flow as the tank fills in.

Craigthor, you're quickly becoming my favorite tome of knowledge, thank you :) I'll look into the electronic thing later tonight. I thought it would be convenient to be able to rid myself of some of the parts, but I guess that comes with a price.

I've been doing a little thinking and your post has stirred it up again. How do you guys feel about UV Sterilizers?

Since you're suggesting running both filters, I'm thinking I might just sell the 2213, and upgrade to a second 2215, simply for keeping things even, and only needing one size floss, etc. Then doing exactly what you did, build 2 reactors and have dual CO2 lines, one to each to help keep both sides of the tank evenly injected. Then I'm thinking put the Hydor ETH on one side, and an inline UV on the other. Any input on this setup?

Also, is the Milwaukee pH controller the best way to go or is there something better/more reliable/etc.? It seems like a lot of people use them, I just want to make sure.

I'm planning on running the probe inline also and have been considering extending my reactor to include this. Would it be ok to rig an inline probe holder where the normal output would be? Is it necessary to have the probe a certain distance down the water column from the reactor?

I know these are a ton of questions, I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing this the right way, and not buying/building anything that costs me poor growth, dead plants or fish, or causing me to pull my hair out until I replace it.

Craigthor, you're quickly becoming my favorite tome of knowledge, thank you :) I'll look into the electronic thing later tonight. I thought it would be convenient to be able to rid myself of some of the parts, but I guess that comes with a price.

I've been doing a little thinking and your post has stirred it up again. How do you guys feel about UV Sterilizers?

Since you're suggesting running both filters, I'm thinking I might just sell the 2213, and upgrade to a second 2215, simply for keeping things even, and only needing one size floss, etc. Then doing exactly what you did, build 2 reactors and have dual CO2 lines, one to each to help keep both sides of the tank evenly injected. Then I'm thinking put the Hydor ETH on one side, and an inline UV on the other. Any input on this setup?

Also, is the Milwaukee pH controller the best way to go or is there something better/more reliable/etc.? It seems like a lot of people use them, I just want to make sure.

I'm planning on running the probe inline also and have been considering extending my reactor to include this. Would it be ok to rig an inline probe holder where the normal output would be? Is it necessary to have the probe a certain distance down the water column from the reactor?

I know these are a ton of questions, I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing this the right way, and not buying/building anything that costs me poor growth, dead plants or fish, or causing me to pull my hair out until I replace it.

I've been running a UV on all my tanks for the last few years, not that they are required but while I'm doing the plumbing it is nice to plumb it in. It's such a pain to have to cut lines and plumb stuff in once the tank is up and running.

Having dual 2215s would be nice and only having one size of filter media to deal with is great as well. I think you would only need one CO2 reactor but if you did build 2 you can probably make them ~12" max length out of 1 1/2" PVC versus a single 2" one about 15" long. Heater on one and UV on the other.

I would skip the PH controller and spend that money on upgrading the Regulator to a dual needle vavle/ bubble counter setup if you want 2 reactors. Having reactors on both sides really needs to seperate controls to get even distribution that way. If you go a single reactor no need for the dual upgrade. I jsut run my CO2 on a timer, on one hour before lights on and off one hour before lights out. A Drop checker with 4 DkH solution in it will help you set your CO2 levels. Best to adjust slowly over a few days when you have time to watch the tank. I've stopped using the drop checker all together as I've learned to watch the fish and the plants.

On the probe question is more personal preference I would put it before the reactor as having it after would give false readings. Don't put any equipment on the input of the cannister as it will get really dirty and shorten teh life of it.

Let me knwo if I can be of more help!

Craig

You might look at these lights. I haven't bought from the seller but these are the lights that I am thinking of putting in my tank. I can't wait to see pictures! Here is a list of my stocking thoughts for my tank when I get back from Iraq.

I've seen that light on ebay, and honestly the price makes me leary. It's a great price, but why is it $100 less than anything I've found. I mean realistically its $150+ less than anything, just Catalina has some deal on their 48" lights for now. That makes me question the quality of the unit. It might just be an amazing deal.... but I'll wait until someone else provides feedback on it.

As for the stocking list, that helps a little. Its funny that its similar to what I had initially in my head. I'm seriously considering taking these ruby barbs back to the pet store as their color is very muddy (which bothers me) and they sold them as TIGER barbs, grrrr. I wanted tigers similar to my last ones where they have very nice colors. I've also revisited the angelfish idea since I've seen some with really great color. For all intents and purposes this is going to be my "show" tank for quite some time so I want the fish to be vibrant so they contrast well with the large amount of green that will be with them. That's mainly why I'm having trouble deciphering the stock list. I'm going for color and the only really great colorful fish I've seen regularly are cichlids or discus. Both are difficult to keep.

And yeah, I know I owe you guys pictures.

Here are the pictures. Please forgive the awful camera. My legit digi cam bit the dust and I'm using my Droid phone which is disappointing camera-wise to say the least....

The big piece of driftwood is what I ordered last week. I was going to wait until I did everything at once, but I couldn't help myself. I made it 3 days before I had to put it in.

img_1112337_0_4d55582b21cf400d732c6c2613664df7.jpg

Angelfish. Can one of you tell me what kind it is?

img_1112337_1_0148e1166f9b037758c68677928b9c94.jpg

img_1112337_2_02e0dc90404d2f5d0786823220683fd9.jpg

The grumpy old codger. I'd love to know what kind of pleco this is too. I'm not sure you can make out his coloring in this well enough though.
img_1112337_3_4bd345f58f11764d84779b0d5a176046.jpg

img_1112337_4_6e26ecb6ef6adfcc49c68cd5e12ff50c.jpg

Another pleco. Again, I would love to know what kind it is.
img_1112337_5_99a48c95dc0648630cc306dd7fe5ebd0.jpg

A mock up of the retaining wall I'm putting in once I get the Eco-complete/light/plants ordered.
img_1112337_6_23403ae99ef0318ef14c354771b00cd3.jpg

img_1112337_7_879b3e107a1cf1cd14062c0b4bcad258.jpg

And yes thats my boxer/pit mix poop machine over on the left of that first wall picture.

A couple other people looked at it and said that it looks legit, but I haven't run into anyone that has purchased it. I e-mailed them and made it has ballasts in it and they said it did. I figure I will risk it when I am ready to buy lights but that is no less than 6 months away as I am in Iraq. That rock work looks really sweet! I am trying to find out if I could use a form of DIY live rock for a FW aquarium. It would be nice to design my own rock work to my specifications.

Also fishneedit.com is coming out with some new T5 lighting in the next month or so. I know alot of people over at plantedtank.net use the Catalina fixture with lots of success.

Craig

Ok, so I worked up a potential stocking list.... want to see what you guys think. I feel like I'm overstocking but I know the rules change a little when its heavily planted.

6 boesemani rainbows
6 tiger barbs
6 green tiger barbs
4 corys
2 plecos
10-20 small tetras (silver tip or rummynose)

I'm not sure what type of corys. I have one albino in there now, so maybe 3 more albino? Suggestions? I'm leaving the 2 smaller plecos I have right now because I've kind of become attached to them. The big one would need to leave however. I have a feeling hes going to become a problem with the plants. As for the tetras, I'm leaning toward the rummynoses for now.

I like the sound of it. I am not sure if it is over stocking or not. I have always stuck to the 1" per gallon rule of thumb. I don't know about the planting thing changing it although I could certainly see it. I definitely want to see pictures! Do a build thread! lol I have to live vicariously through other people's aquariums until I am not in a giant crap hole of a country.

This will be my build thread. Patience :). Everything is still sitting right now while I gather cash. I have a ton I'm planning on doing in the next phase. I still need to order my light, Eco-complete, Hydor, UV unit, and build my reactors. If all goes as planned I'll also be getting my CO2 then also.

I'd prefer to do it all at once, because to switch the substrate I'm going to pull the fish out and lower the water to almost nothing. This will allow me to pull the tank of the stand and do the under cabinet stuff a little easier. I'm fairly scared to work with the tank on it, for fear of something banging into the bottom.

DUH! That's why it says "75g Planted Aquarium LOG!" Thank the lord I don't look as dumb as I can be at times hahahah. Patience isn't my strong point lol. I have seen filters that have the UV sterilizer in the canister filter...not sure that is a good idea but they sell more than one brand that has it. There is actually one on the eBay store with those lights. I don't really understand the UV sterilizer deal so I don't think that I will be running one. Tell me what you think of it though!

Heh, made one of the purchases I needed to day... a master testing kit. Everything is perfectomundo, but I pretty much knew that anyways.

So yeah... how about that stocking list? Is it overstocking? Do I have more room? Just trying to get a bearing on it. SnailPowered, I think you're the only one who has any love for me :) haha.

Back
Top Bottom