75 gallon planted build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fishfanatic said:
Are they called bulkheads? Or something else?

I belive so I have seen them there before just explain what your looking for in the plumbing department and make sure you measure the size of the hole

Today I went to the fish store and I found a bulkhead the right size, we are back in business! In your opinion should I fill the tank up outside before I fill it up inside? Or should I just trust the tank and not go through the extra work to take it back up the stairs?

Well, if you really want to be safe and save yourself a trip downstairs, fill it outside. That's what I would do. You don't wanna take it all the way up and have to take it back down because of a leak.

George9 said:
Well, if you really want to be safe and save yourself a trip downstairs, fill it outside. That's what I would do. You don't wanna take it all the way up and have to take it back down because of a leak.

That is what I am going to do then, take it back up the stairs and fill it up (it is currently in my basement). The only problem that I will run into is that the bulkheads hang below the bottom of the tank. Would it be safe to fill the tank while it is up on blocks?

ryan-peddle said:
Yes just use at least 4 blocks on the front and back and 3 on each side jmo

I believe I have some boards that would be long enough to run the full length of the tank. I will have to look tomorrow. (I am so tired I can't even see strait). Talk you folks tomorrow! :D

So today I drilled the holes in the stand (for the bulkheads) and I installed the bulkheads and I tested the bulkheads for leeks. And they leek!!!! So now I have taken the bulkheads off and I have siliconed it. I put some silicone on both sides of the rubber washer and then reinstalled it. Hopefully this works!
The instructions say that the silicone will cure in five minutes and fully bond in 24 hours. Then it also says to ensure leak-proof seal, allow at least 48 hours. How long should I wait, as of now it has been 7 hours

ryan-peddle said:
Wait the 24 hours but the bulkheads should not have leaked in the first place did you get them nice and snug?

I hand tightened them as far as I could and then with the one that was leaking I turned it a little farther with a wrench. But it still leaked, and I didn't want to risk cracking the glass by over tightening the bulkhead.

The bulkheads no longer leak :D they have held water for 24 hours! Hurray! Now I just have to "test fill" the rest of the tank. How long should I leave the tank full of water outside?

fishfanatic said:
The bulkheads no longer leak :D they have held water for 24 hours! Hurray! Now I just have to "test fill" the rest of the tank. How long should I leave the tank full of water outside?

I would say the day no need for overnight you will notice if it has a leak

A quick picture update! This is what my tank looks like as of right now. It doesn't have any water in it but there will be water shortly.
Thanks to all you folks the process of setting up this tank has gone rather well. (Despite the bulging 75 gallon tank). I will continue to post pictures as the tank progresses. Any and all constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110921_150433.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110921_150433.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 89
George9 said:
Cool! Can't wait to see it filled!

Wish granted!
This tank is huge! (At least for my bedroom anyways). I think that my fish really like it and I know that I like it. Well here it is, I definitely have some rearranging to do.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110923_173130.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110923_173130.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom