75g Planted Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Consider using that savings on a c02 system. Excel can't compare

Agree'd by the looks of what your going to be growing etc excel really won't cut it as a carbon source. If you go to pressurised you will be able to grow anything you want. It really is the best option of u can afford to go that way

Consider using that savings on a c02 system. Excel can't compare

As far as the CO2 system goes, I'll probably stick with the Excel route to start. I'm not well versed with pressurized CO2, but if I don't get the effects I desire with Excel I will definitely look into it.

As far as the CO2 system goes, I'll probably stick with the Excel route to start. I'm not well versed with pressurized CO2, but if I don't get the effects I desire with Excel I will definitely look into it.
None of were until this hobby! We all had the hesitation due to it being a pressurized gas at some point, but don't fret. You can learn everything you need to know from these forums and YouTube. It's so easy and the benefits are massive. Don't be affriaid!!

With that tank volume you will be going through Excel. Save some $$$ and get Metricide 14. Similar if not the same active ingredients as Excel, much more cost effective.

Is this the same as gluteraldhyde?

Yes it is.
Be sure to get Metricide 14 and NOT Metricide 28; the latter supposedly contains substances that are not fish friendly.
Both products come with a small bottle containing an activator. Throw that OUT! Do not mix with the Metricide and do not use in the aquarium. It is added to the Metricide when used as intended (as a medical equipment sterilizing solution).

With that tank volume you will be going through Excel. Save some $$$ and get Metricide 14. Similar if not the same active ingredients as Excel, much more cost effective.

Will definitely be looking into Metricide 14 now, thanks for the tip! How would I go about dosing with that?

Yes it is.
Be sure to get Metricide 14 and NOT Metricide 28; the latter supposedly contains substances that are not fish friendly.
Both products come with a small bottle containing an activator. Throw that OUT! Do not mix with the Metricide and do not use in the aquarium. It is added to the Metricide when used as intended (as a medical equipment sterilizing solution).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201648414766

This it?

Yes, that's it.
Volume wise it's equal to 7 bottles of Excel (500 mL) and strength wise, 15 bottles of Excel.
Dilution: I usually dilute it 50/50 with DI water and put it in an old Excel bottle.
Dosing: 1 mL per 10 gallons daily. You can dose more but I would make changes slowly over time.

If I don't have access to DI water would distilled water work?

Yes, that's it.
Volume wise it's equal to 7 bottles of Excel (500 mL) and strength wise, 15 bottles of Excel.
Dilution: I usually dilute it 50/50 with DI water and put it in an old Excel bottle.
Dosing: 1 mL per 10 gallons daily. You can dose more but I would make changes slowly over time.
Fresh, do you use this with injected c02 for algea control?

So lucky!! I can't wait to get my 75 gallon. Following along..

In your original plan you mentioned an air pump and bubble wall. If I'm not mistaken that's not a good idea in a planted tank. Maybe someone else more experienced can confirm.

In your original plan you mentioned an air pump and bubble wall. If I'm not mistaken that's not a good idea in a planted tank. Maybe someone else more experienced can confirm.

Only if injecting co2 as it will off gas the co2. However I never found out if it had any negative effect on products like excel? Would be worth investigating tho

Still debating on using the bubble wall at all, received it in the bundle when I purchased the tank. Air pump provided was mainly for the sponge filter.

Just ordered 4 bags of EcoComplete and the Freshwater Master Test Kit from Petco's website. The $30 off $100 purchase made it well worth my while, essentially getting the test kit for free.

Back
Top Bottom